IGNORED

EPROM Programmer Questions

Shawn

Hi,

I was thinking about buying an EPROM burner and was gonna get started with a cheaper one. The Willem one thats all over ebay. Here is a link to the auction and the description of the burner.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...mMakeTrack=true

What I'm wondering is if anyone here has had any experience with this burner or ones just like it and how user friendly (N00b friendly) these are. I intend to use it for making 2600, 7800 and maybe some NES games but mainly 2600 and 7800 games and I would like any help\input anyone can give me to get me off on the right track with this burner and getting into the homemade carts.

Is this burner gonna work well with the chips offered from here at ATARI age? Is there any down sides to this burner? I have already found out its 100% Win XP and Win 2000 compatible and well as the software\drivers so that base if covered but aside from that I'm dry and want to get my ears wet!! :)

Thanks In Advance,

Shawn Sr.

Edited by silver_surfer

Personally, I'd go for a cased unit, something like this will do what you want -

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOP2004-USB-Universal-E...1QQcmdZViewItem

You'll also need an eraser if you intend to re-use your EPROM's -

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UV-Eprom-Eraser_W0QQite...1QQcmdZViewItem

Blank EPROM's and dev boards are available from the AA store.

I have some of these boards, and they are VERY high quality.

Shawn,

I'd recommend you look at a Pocket Programmer II, they are inexpensive and work very well. The Wilkem units seem nice, I've never personally tried them. One programmer to avoid are the USB TOPS series programmers, they are flaky and unpredictable.

Curt

Hi,

I was thinking about buying an EPROM burner and was gonna get started with a cheaper one. The Willem one thats all over ebay. Here is a link to the auction and the description of the burner.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...mMakeTrack=true

What I'm wondering is if anyone here has had any experience with this burner or ones just like it and how user friendly (N00b friendly) these are. I intend to use it for making 2600, 7800 and maybe some NES games but mainly 2600 and 7800 games and I would like any help\input anyone can give me to get me off on the right track with this burner and getting into the homemade carts.

Is this burner gonna work well with the chips offered from here at ATARI age? Is there any down sides to this burner? I have already found out its 100% Win XP and Win 2000 compatible and well as the software\drivers so that base if covered but aside from that I'm dry and want to get my ears wet!! :)

Thanks In Advance,

Shawn Sr.

925414[/snapback]

Agreed, I use the Pocket Programmer II and it works really well and very easy. I too recommed getting an EPROM eraser. That way if you have an error programming a chip it's not useless to you. Plus then you can buy used lots of EPROMS for a helluva lot cheaper on Ebay than buying new from a store. I just picked up 100 27*64's off of Ebay for $30.00 plus $7.00 shipping versus 3-4 dollars each new from a store. There are definately "cleaned and erased" used lots on ebay, but they usually are smaller lots and go for more money.

Agreed, I use the Pocket Programmer II and it works really well and very easy.  I too recommed getting an EPROM eraser.  That way if you have an error programming a chip it's not useless to you.  Plus then you can buy used lots of EPROMS for a helluva lot cheaper on Ebay than buying new from a store.  I just picked up 100 27*64's off of Ebay for $30.00 plus $7.00 shipping versus 3-4 dollars each new from a store.  There are definately "cleaned and erased" used lots on ebay, but they usually are smaller lots and go for more money.

926213[/snapback]

One thing to beware of is that 27C64 devices use a different programming voltage from the 2764 and 2764A. Be very careful if you get a mixed batch; try to avoid such if at all possible.

If you don't mind the extra programming time, you can use a 27C256 in the 8K/16K/32K Atari age boards regardless of which memory size the board was purchased for (if the game is e.g. 8K, the board should be too, but a 32Kx8 EPROM will still work fine). I think you need to ensure that a copy of your code is at the top end of the chip memory (though for good measure, I just copy 8K/16K programs 4 or 2 times). Note that 4K programs will work with any of the 8K/16K/32K boards and a 27x256 if you copy the code throughout the chip. This is probably easier than having separate 4K boards and chips for them.

Dude.

BP Microsystems. Makes Willem look like the toy it is. Built like tanks, older programmers still supported with their current 2K/XP software, cheap on ebay. All you need is a built-in printer port. They also read the chip type ID when available to make sure you're not using the wrong settings.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?M...bp+microsystems

There's an EP-1140 right now, less than 24 hours left, for $25 with no bids. It'll program any EPROM 2716 or higher with up to 40 pins.

(FWIW, I normally use a Needhams EMP-20 with a BP CP-1132 as an alternate when necessary, both on a printer select switch)

As mentioned before, you'll also need one of these:

la6t-EProm_eraser.jpg

This particular one, the Ango LA6T, is a good model. I've had one for years. The foam inside the drawer long ago ripped up, but it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

One thing to beware of is that 27C64 devices use a different programming voltage from the 2764 and 2764A.  Be very careful if you get a mixed batch; try to avoid such if at all possible.

If you don't mind the extra programming time, you can use a 27C256 in the 8K/16K/32K Atari age boards regardless of which memory size the board was purchased for (if the game is e.g. 8K, the board should be too, but a 32Kx8 EPROM will still work fine).  I think you need to ensure that a copy of your code is at the top end of the chip memory (though for good measure, I just copy 8K/16K programs 4 or 2 times).  Note that 4K programs will work with any of the 8K/16K/32K boards and a 27x256 if you copy the code throughout the chip.  This is probably easier than having separate 4K boards and chips for them.

926448[/snapback]

So what you said means I can get a bunch of 32k PCB boards and a bunch of 32k EPROMS and if I properly burn the game in regards to its size I can use a 32k PCB board and a 32k EPROM to make most 4k to 32k games?

Please let me know as this would be excelent. Also is there any obvious exceptions to this mentioned above?

I really am thankful for all the help from you guys as I am on a REALLY tight budget and want to be sure I don't buy stuff that I can't use.

This is what I have grasped so far:

1- buy a burner with a casing rather than loose (BP micro if possible).

2- buy EPROMS in bulk lots.

3- Get a EROM eraser.

4- 32k boards from AA are good for 4k right up to 32k games as long as burned properly.

Do all four of those statements stand true or am I getting lost? Please correct me where I am wrong as I am getting the nerve up to start making purchases soon. Links to any or all of these goodies (burner, eraser, lot of 32k EPROMS, ect) that are cheap but usable\recomended would be great as I am going on the info from you guys to get me up and started.

Thanks,

Shawn Sr.

4- 32k boards from AA are good for 4k right up to 32k games as long as burned properly.

927591[/snapback]

This one is not true. The 32K chips are good for any size game. As for board compatibility:

• 8K -- Works for 4K or 8K
  • 16K -- Works for 4K or 16K. Will work for SOME 8K if burned right.
  • 32K -- Works for 4K or 32K. Will work for SOME 8K or 16K if burned right.

Note that when using a 16K game in a 32K cart, you must store the banks in the order xxABCDxx (where the x's can be anything). When using a 16K game in a 16K cart with a 32K chip, use ABCDABCD. Even if everything is stored in the right order, though, 8K+ games which store data in the last few bytes of address space won't work with anything other than the correct size cart. Unless you examine the code, there's no way to tell for sure. Even a game which seems to work may fail under certain circumstances (basically the same problem as an unmodified Supercharger).

• 6 months later...

There's only an hour left (sorry I didn't see it sooner), but for $70 (assuming the min bid and shipping) this is a pretty good set...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7604943500

BP Microsystems EP1132 (good stuff, still supported)

Ango LA6T eraser (worth like $90 itself new, and I've had one for years)

half a dozen chips

real nice carrying case

Edited by Bruce Tomlin