IGNORED

I hate it, but it's hard to stay away from Ebay

Ridenmy65

When it comes to collecting games and stuff, I don't think there is a better feeling then walking up to a booth, thrift store or wherever you like to go and finding that "diamond in the rough". I am sure most would agree.

That is why I hate ebay so much. True, I can find alot of games that I more than likely will never come accross out in the wild, but plan and simple it's just not fun to find them there.

Just a thought... Angelo

I'm sure most if not all will agree....In the wild under dusty books or at the bottom of rotten basket is a must to find the gems or not so even gem.

But when you don't find anything (I speak about my country, Switzerland, where Atari never done it, it was more Odyssey and even Intellivision in the lates 70's-dbut 80''s)

So eBay is the only source for all of us that don't have plenty of thrift stores and In da Wild hunts possibilities

Without eBay, my Atari collection would be quite lame. I know many who post on this board don't like eBay, but I have never been ripped off there.

It is tough to find certain games in the wild. But yes, there is nothing like it when you do come across a good one.

I can't compain about Ebay, it has paid for a lot of my video game collection. On occasion I've even gotten some good deals on things I needed from Ebay, even non-video game related stuff too. (I got a pair of rare pontiac cylinder heads I needed for about one third of the price I would have paid anywhere else.) Ebay may have driven some of the game prices up, but if you sell a lot more stuff than you buy that kind of evens it out. A lot of the stuff we've sold (I say we because my wife does most of the Ebay work) arel things we've bought while hunting at garage sales, thrift stores and the like for video games and Pac-man stuff.

Angelo is right though, there is nothing like finding a rarity at a garage sale for a bargain price. If your lucky like I was once you'll buy the rare games for next to nothing and the $2 taxidermisized Armadillo, then put the Armadillo on Ebay and watch it sell for a couple of hundred. Ebay rule #1, the stranger the item the more somebody will want it.

Happy Easter,

-Chuck

I can't complain about ebay. Let's face it, some games you just can't find in the wild. Be it because someone got there first, or the area is just dry, it's a hopeless search.

That leaves ebay as an only resort. Still, if this applies to you, finding a rare cart in the wild is all the greater.

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

I can't complain about ebay. Let's face it, some games you just can't find in the wild. .

this is so true, Ebay finally emailed me back about my account, and the first thing i looked for was Mutant League Hockey for Genesis. and i found 1 listed as complete and i payed 15.50 for it, which is fine by me cause ive been looking for this game complete for over 2 years in the wild, ive found the cart only 2 times in the wild, 1st one was $10 2nd one was $15 and that was just for the cart

I should recieve it in the mail sometime this week

I can't complain too much about ebay either. Many of the later 2600 and 7800 games were never sold up in Massachusetts. The only way to get them is online. I have to admit that I love to find them in the wild. There is nothing better than the feeling of excitement when you find something good. It is like everything at flea markets though. I also collect Boston Bruins memorabilia and nothing beats that rare find.

I agree Ebay is a really great place to find those rare hard to find games. There's nothing like that unltimate find in the wild but I find that if you talk to people you know, even co-workers you never know who may have an old atari stash sitting in their basement collecting dust. Word of mouth and just letting people know what you collect can be one of the best avenues to discovering the ultimate find.

I think eBay is great! Sure I may have to pay more for the games there but at least I can get games. I have been to every Thrift store within 30 miles of here and found a total of 2 Atari games... Golf and Skiing. But of course I just started collecting 3 weeks ago and I haven't hit any flea markets or garage sales yet. I have a total of 9 games right now, but that should grow when I find the right auction on eBay.

GAH! You people have been brainwashed! Ebay is evil, evil, evil! You lack patience. The big scores will come, you just have to be patient yet dilligent in your search. Evil-bay is the easy way out and you must pay outrageous sums of money for your sloth-like ways because some fool with a mountain of money will run your Survival Island bid completely out of proportion when you were 15 minutes from landing it for a paltry $13!!!

Evil-bay is bad, bad, bad! Resist the temptation! Put in time, work your atari-karma, it will pay off later. Evil-bay wrecks your atari karma! Profiteers are taking advantage of you and yet you don't seem to mind as long as they continue to give you your food pellet! Makes me crazy!

Total Rant Stan

90% of what I have purchased in last year in a half has been from ebay(the rest from best electronics and hozer vidio, and a couple of other places),and every auction has been successful.I don't sit there and try to 'snipe' auctions anymore, just bid and see if I get it.I plan on trying garage sales this spring and summer just to see if there is anything in this area at all...until then I will continue to check the 20 odd links to ebay every day.

Ebay is great! I'm thankful that we online auctions, and ebay is definitely by far the best.

It has allowed me the opportunity to sell of junk I no longer need and the ability to find things you need quickly and efficiently far outweighs the time and effort it would take if you were to go out to every flea market and garage sale in your area.

The technology is here to help you. If you don't like ebay, then you shouldn't use it. I personally think its a great service and concept and as such, I am a proud investor in the company.

All Hail Ebay!!! I don't mind it....I've been a member for like 4 years and in that time I've have been what I consider ripped off like twice. That is too say I sent my money and received nothing...

When I emailed the first person he said he shipped it and gave me a date....So it is possible it was lost in the mail...But I was a little concerned at his lack of making things right...He just left it at that.

Another time the person requested the money and I sent it and received nothing and never heard from the again... I kept checking Ebay but the person never sold anything again...and they had a good reference # to begin with (I think they died!)

So two crappy deals in 4 years, pretty good odds....Plus Ive made literaly thousands of dollars myself... To me it's like a great big flea-market but you have competion.

My parents are eBay sellers, and I can't dislike eBay, since that's what puts food on the table. I had a job listing auctions for a surplus store last summer, too. With all that eBay experience, you know I've seen bad deals--no item, or no payment--but those are usually pretty rare. If it weren't for eBay, I wouldn't have as many metal lunchboxes, either!

Ebay is the only way I can start up my Lynx collection again without paying $30 for common games from many of the dealers out there. I've always preferred picking up games at the local game store, but I've just about depleted GameFellas of all of their Lynx games.

Personally, I really enjoy eBay for the things that it does well. There are certain items that I have wanted for ages and would have _never_ found in the wild. I found my Battle Balls JAMMA PCB for $100.00 on eBay and I don't think that I'll ever be happier about a purchase. There is no way that I would've ever found that game in a store or something...

For any item that you can no longer get in a store, eBay sometimes is the only way to go. Of course the price on some things on eBay will be driven up to insane levels, but I would've been willing to pay a lot more for my PCB than I had too.