IGNORED

Anyone have the original 1984 version of the 7800?

HP Atari King of Michigan

I gave one to keilbaca because it woundn't work properly.

927802[/snapback]

And it still isn't. The 7800 games look like they have a chroma problem. No matter, its going to be a project 7800, so i can test my stuff on there first and run 2600 games on it. Perfect for the Composite Audio/Video mod I have lined up for it, and a Paul Slocam Testcart :)

I have my original one that I bought when the 7800's first hit the stores. I remember reading about the 7800 in Electronic Games years before it was released. Too bad that Atari waited to release it.

If you are looking for one I can check to see if I have an extra one. I have 3 or 4 extra 7800's but I know that at least 2 of them aren't working right now.

Does anyone have the original 1984 or early 1986 models of the 7800?  These are the ones with the expansion ports on them for add-ons.  Reply if you please. :cool:

927767[/snapback]

I have a 7800 that Atari gave me in 1984 after the SwordQuest contest, but it isn't working right now. I'm hoping it's just a burned-out power adapter, but I haven't replaced the power adapter to see if that fixes it, or if the 7800 itself got fried. I didn't even realize it had an expansion port that later models are lacking!

Michael Rideout

Hi Guys

another thing.Last week,i got a french 7800 from 1991 and it does not have a normal RGB cable,it has a SCART cable and a SCART connector.Really great,i have never seen this before.

greetings Gambler172 :)

928798[/snapback]

I've got two of those. :)

Mitch

Does anyone have the original 1984 or early 1986 models of the 7800?  These are the ones with the expansion ports on them for add-ons.  Reply if you please. :cool:

Got an expansion port on mine. Now just need to get more games to play on it at some point to make it worth hooking up. (Space is limited. ;))

--

Mord

I have one I got in 84 but it is not in the best cosmetic condition anymore. It has an A/V mod and a DEVOS mod. The DEVOS mod did something weird to it because sometimes the picture is a little funky.

I happen to think the 7800 was probably the most cheaply manufactured Atari Inc. hardware. You'd almost think it was a Tramiel product. The cart port for instance flexes too easily.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have one I got in 84 but it is not in the best cosmetic condition anymore.  It has an A/V mod and a DEVOS mod.  The DEVOS mod did something weird to it because sometimes the picture is a little funky.

I happen to think the 7800 was probably the most cheaply manufactured Atari Inc. hardware.  You'd almost think it was a Tramiel product.  The cart port for instance flexes too easily.

933702[/snapback]

Are the '84 editions better made than the '87 ones? Also, I understand the expansion ports aren't connected on the board, but were there any plans for utilizing it? The same "add a disk drive/keyboard and turn your ProSystem into a home computer" ideas or something game related (i.e. external POKEY support or added RAM)?

Are the '84 editions better made than the '87 ones? Also, I understand the expansion ports aren't connected on the board, but were there any plans for utilizing it? The same "add a disk drive/keyboard and turn your ProSystem into a home computer" ideas or something game related (i.e. external POKEY support or added RAM)?

960181[/snapback]

The 84 w/expansion port has been said to be more compatable then the 87 ones.

The exapansion port was mostly for a LaserDisc thing see: Atari History Museum's Atari 7800 Pro System page.

And if you have about an hour, listen to Steve Golson of GCC (the co that made the 7800) tell how the 7800 happened.

I loved it. Thanks Curt!

They do talk about the keyboard. The first proto was to hook to the cart slot (I think).

The final proto hooks up to joystick port #2.

Anyway read that page and it will answer all these questions.

Edited by Mot