IGNORED

This auction look legit?

King Atari

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

Ah, sorry, didn't see the new forum. I'll post ebay stuff there from now on. Anyways, I'm not going to mess with this auction, just doesn't seem right.

This is directly related to the 2600, so it's not a problem that it was posted here.

..Al

The cart is mine. The board is a production pcb, as Tempest described (if anyone wants a picture of it, just lmk). DD wasn't an official released title, so I consider it a 'prototype' (although it's certainly not a "Lab label" one). I got it from Best Elec. (I think) and the label is homemade (by me). I also have an NTSC production board one as well. I've never seen any info on whether or not the Brazil cart was sanctioned by Atari, and it doesn't make sense that Atari would release something like this outside of the U.S. first (being a Disney character).

Crossbow- not all released carts are on ROMS. Likewise, I don't consider only games having EPROMS as prototypes. DD isn't the only game known to use this board type - all Dukes of Hazzard carts I believe also use this.

ahh true Albert, i wasnt scolding him tho

i just took the opportunity to let him know about the new ebay forum incase he missed it

so the 2600 ebay stuff can go in the 2600 forum, 5200, 7800, 800, jag and so on

things like the 3do item i wanted someone to buy me could go in the Ebay madness section

no need for an apology King you did the correct thing dude

Keep in mind that I wasn't implying that the buyers were being screwed...I apologize now if that is how I sounded.

I do know that not all produced games came in roms...I know most Zaxxons for the 2600 are on Eproms as an example.

But I agree with Tempest that Productions boards whether released...or not...do not constitute as being protos. Protos are work in Progess code. The DDSB boards are basically agreed upon as being production boards that never were put into cart cases and officially released and sold.

Even the chip on board method being used in those board is still more expensive than burning eproms to test carts. Also...Protos wouldn't be made up for so many carts that weren't given for reviews...etc.

So I say these are boards that were meant to go into cart cases...but the plug was pulled before they got that far.

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

so the 2600 ebay stuff can go in the 2600 forum, 5200, 7800, 800, jag and so on

It would be nice to see most of the eBay stuff go into that new forum, as this one gets most of the message board traffic right now, making many threads scroll off too quickly (and thus, not getting as much attention as they deserve). If someone posts an eBay thread and it's relevant to the forum they're posting in (such as this one), it's not a big deal. But certainly we will encourage people to use the eBay forum as much as possible.

..Al

The supposition about it being made for Brazil should be testable -- Brazilian PAL-M is more like NTSC for screen size and lines, so if you play it on an NTSC TV, it will fit the screen and not roll; if it's Euro PAL, the screen will roll and the bottom will be cut off. Which does this board do Scott?

First of all..I am no master of Prototypes..but I can tell you this isn't a full proto...

First it is Pal and I believe the game was released in Brazil and Europe...

Also..the seller tells you it is on an actual production board...and not on an Eprom...true Protos are burned on Eproms...

Then...the label on that thing is a total homemade job. So I think that somebody took a Best copy and made their own label...or this is a different released copy with a different label put on it.

In short...if ain't on an Eprom...it ain't a true Proto...

Matt please correct me if I am wrong?

I know the seller and he wouldn't purposely screw anyone over, so we can rule that out.

From what I know, this is one of the PAL Donald Duck chips that have been found. These chips use "Cart On Board" technology (COB) which was a cheap way to produce chips. They look like little black circles on the top of the board where the chip would normally be.

I don't think anyone has gotten a straight answer on where these came from. Atari may very well have planned to release DDSB in Europe, but changed their minds at the last minute (like Dukes of Hazzard). Or these may have been made for Polyvox, a legit Atari distrubuter in Brazil. Whatever the case, they're not really prototypes per se, but more like a mass produced unreleased game.

I wish I could be of more help, but these little boards have been puzzling me for some time. Bottom line though is that I don't consider them to be prototypes.

Tempest