IGNORED

Atari ST Joystick

Tempest

I have a dumb question: Is the Atari ST joystick port pinout the same as the 2600's? They look similar, but I know that doesn't always mean they are.

What is the best joystick to use with the ST? Mine came with a Gravis Pad which is ok, but some games work best with a real joystick.

Tempest

I have a dumb question: Is the Atari ST joystick port pinout the same as the 2600's?  They look similar, but I know that doesn't always mean they are.

What is the best joystick to use with the ST?  Mine came with a Gravis Pad which is ok, but some games work best with a real joystick. 

Tempest

930614[/snapback]

Hmm, I'm not sure - I know that you can use joysticks between the 8bit line of computers and the STs with no problem.

Its a very subjective thing, but I like a Wico BOSS or the Wico model with the ergonomic hand grip.

Best Electronics sells some pretty good joysticks, although they might be considered a little pricey.

HTHs. :-)

I have a dumb question: Is the Atari ST joystick port pinout the same as the 2600's?  They look similar, but I know that doesn't always mean they are.

What is the best joystick to use with the ST?  Mine came with a Gravis Pad which is ok, but some games work best with a real joystick. 

Tempest

930614[/snapback]

Hmm, I'm not sure - I know that you can use joysticks between the 8bit line of computers and the STs with no problem.

Its a very subjective thing, but I like a Wico BOSS or the Wico model with the ergonomic hand grip.

Best Electronics sells some pretty good joysticks, although they might be considered a little pricey.

930628[/snapback]

If they work with 8-bit joysticks then they work with 2600 sticks. But do ST games make use of more than one button?

Tempest

Tempest

930614[/snapback]

930628[/snapback]

If they work with 8-bit joysticks then they work with 2600 sticks. But do ST games make use of more than one button?

Tempest

930631[/snapback]

No. I have never run into a single game that did.

Commodore's Amiga (how dare I mention that name here!), on the other hand, started supporting extra buttons with the release of the CD32 console and the A1200.

Edited by tjlazer

Tempest

930614[/snapback]

930628[/snapback]

Tempest

930631[/snapback]

Atari 2600/8-bit joysticks work fine with the ST. No 7800 sticks though. The second button screws things up.

Many games took advantage of multiple buttons by using the keyboard. So you have one button on the joystick...and 95 more buttons on the keyboard. :D Or does that count? :ponder:

Mouse games generally used two buttons though.

Atari 2600/8-bit joysticks work fine with the ST.  No 7800 sticks though.  The second button screws things up.

I used a 7800 ProLine with my 1040 STe almost exclusively. Worked perfectly fine.

931063[/snapback]

Probably because the STe ports are different then the regular ST's. But then again, why on earth would you want to use a painline 7800 controller? To each his own I guess. :)

Tempest

Probably because the STe ports are different then the regular ST's.  But then again, why on earth would you want to use a painline 7800 controller?  To each his own I guess. :)

Tempest

931072[/snapback]

No, STe ports for standard joystick are same that ST. Different are in analog joystick ports (DB15 - for analog joystick, jaguar pads etc) - in ST are no one ;)

Yes, it is same!!! You can use joystick from Atari 2600/Atari 8-bit computers and other systems like this.

You can't use analog joystick like Atari 5200.

You can use (in some games) jaguar game pads (in STE and Falcon only).

931039[/snapback]

Generally speaking, I believe thats right - but doesn't Best Electronics sell an adaptor that wiil let you use the Jaguar game pad with *any* Atari?

Seems like I remember such a beast.... :-)

why on earth would you want to use a painline 7800 controller?  To each his own I guess. :)

931072[/snapback]

Dunno, I actually like them. They're a heck of a lot more responsive than the standard 2600 joystick (unless you take the "rubber" off of them.) Plus, they didn't look as "old fashioned" as the originals.

I still use mine with my 7800 +CC2 instead of 2600 sticks. :P

Generally speaking, I believe thats right - but doesn't Best Electronics sell an adaptor that wiil let you use the Jaguar game pad with *any* Atari?

Seems like I remember such a beast.... :-)

931110[/snapback]

Because in STE and in Falcon are built in. Search at left (or right - i do not remember) side of cover, twoo DB15 ports (like VGA port) are ports for analog joystick/jaguar gamepad.

Games? For example: Arena 5 (or like sth) and Wally's Adventure...

What I know there is difference in pin 5 and 9 in joystick connector. While on 8 bit there are analog inputs on ST there they are digital. 7800 joystick uses these inputs for A and B buttons recognition, but the ST is confused when analog signal comes to these pins.

I use a 7800 joystick on my 1040STE too, plugged in the port 1 plug (which is default for most 1 player games) and it works fine. A 7800 controller in port 0, the mouse port, does not work.

I've also tried the Atari Trak-Ball in both ports, works fine.

As for the 15-pin ports on the side, never used them. Jaguar controllers fit but I have nothing that uses them. I have the Gauntlet II game and tried them once for players 3 & 4 but no effect :(

I use a 7800 joystick on my 1040STE too, plugged in the port 1 plug (which is default for most 1 player games) and it works fine. A 7800 controller in port 0, the mouse port, does not work. 

I've also tried the Atari Trak-Ball in both ports, works fine.

As for the 15-pin ports on the side, never used them.  Jaguar controllers fit but I have nothing that uses them.  I have the Gauntlet II game and tried them once for players 3 & 4 but no effect  :(

933593[/snapback]

There is an adaptor (don't know if its still available or not, but I did have it once) that plugs into the parrallel printer port, IIRC, that lets you play 3 or 4 player with Guantlet II. We've done it here.

Pretty fun, but with 4 players on that 12" monitor, it gets a bit crowded. Something else equally amazing to me, is that the game does not slow down. Pretty neat. :-)

You're right Gauntlet II looks and plays great on the ST :D :thumbsup:

I also have many other of Atari [Games] titles for the ST, most made by Mindscape and U S Gold. Road Runner and Xybots to name a couple. I see on KLOV.com that many arcade games run on the MC68000 processor the ST uses so the graphics are near perfect, sounds are not the same though.

Tempest

930614[/snapback]

The highest quality and best joystick for an Atari ST is the Wico Bat-Handle. I have attached a picture of this famous joystick. The Wico joysticks are better then the Competition Pro joysticks, that the Europeans love so much. :D

post-7746-1127160813_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheAtariKing