IGNORED

Yard Sales and Atari

adams_ale

Found PilotWings 64 for a buck.  It's not Atari, but the price was right.

Pawn shops, huh?  Most of the pawnbrokers around here are too stuck up to deal on anything but slimline PS2 or Xbox 360.

Try taking jewelry in that's anything less than 220 kt gold, and they either offer you pocket change or give you a funny look like you were supposed to know your valuable stuff is junk that they can't take and the worthless garbage they have should be sold for hundreds of dollars.  Funny thing is that if you look around their shop, they've got exorbitant prices on the same kind of items you're trying to pawn.

You try to pawn a Dreamcast and they either offer you $5 for the whole system, games, and controllers, then break it up and sell it for $10 per game and $30 for the system, or they tell you they can't take your Dreamcast to begin with.  And just forget dealing if you don't have all four controllers with Sega branded VMU's and Jump Packs.  No deal if it's not in mint condition, either.

Pawn shops are good for finding some things, but you won't find an Atari anything in ours.  Nearly everything you get a good price on is broke anyway, and you gotta fix it.  (If it's gotta be mint condition for them to take it, they why do they sell so much busted stuff?)

I got most of my musical equipment from local pawn shops, but still, getting a good price on a USA made Stratocaster is like pulling teeth.  On top of that, I know how to repair instruments, and I had to repair most of the stuff I got.

Sorry, man, just don't get me started on pawn shacks--sorry, I mean, junk shop, er, pawn shops.

930879[/snapback]

Yeah... the Pawn Shops here only sell PS2 and XBox... I have yet to see a pawn broker selling any atari stuff.

931588[/snapback]

well.. pawn shops and antique dealers are not in the buisness of making YOU money.. at the most you can hope is to get a third of what you expect to get for something..

rememeber a pawn shop makes loans based on collateral.. you're nbot selling your stuff to a pawn shop, but rather you are getting a loan based on what the pawn broker thinks they can turn the item around for, and of course.. its just like you hunting a flea market for that quadrun cart or whatever R10 yer looking for. if you can pay $5 for something you can turn around and sell for $100.. well..that;s capatalism.. not neccesarly making as much money as you can, but keeping other people from doing it before you can.

besides.. most pawn shops are dealing with drug addicts and desperits anyways.. I personaly can't go in them.. they freak me out.. they always just feel.. y'know.. "heavy" to me

yard sales.. i've had fun.. nothing's really turned up for me except NES and up..

estate sales are far more interesting.. and auctions are FUN!

That's true, but they have a stuck up attitude about it.

I'll look for a good deal at a pawn shop, but I'll never pay their sticker price for anything. I waited through two or three pawn shops and a full year to get my last keyboard, but I got 50% off the original price that was marked by a pawnbroker.

That's true, but they have a stuck up attitude about it.

I'll look for a good deal at a pawn shop, but I'll never pay their sticker price for anything.  I waited through two or three pawn shops and a full year to get my last keyboard, but I got 50% off the original price that was marked by a pawnbroker.

932407[/snapback]

of course they do.. and they got guns to back up thier attitude :ponder:

I'm just happy that all the pawn shops in my town are confned to a three block radious.

becouse.. really.. they Do attract seedy elements to the area surronding them.

not to bust on macon georgia.. or any other area like it.. but how in the hell can you have a pawn shop on every other corner? it just does not make any finicial sence to the shop or the area to have allthese damn pawn shops in such close proximity

now I've started to see auto pawns.. where you can pawn your car! my lord!

its just getting sick....

however..

I AM in the market for a 5.1 reciever :ponder:

Yardsales, best I ever hit was two sets of paddles.

I have tried the "reverse" yard sale and had some luck:

If your neighborhood is doing a yard sale day, put a sign in the front yard that says "I buy Atari".  I have had several dealings that way, and even got a roll of Coleco ADAM blueprints from the factory.  Never know where this stuff will turn up.

Don't be afraid to try listing in your local grocery store for stuff.  I have even put an ad in the school bulletin that goes between schools asking for stuff.  Got a TON of 8 bit computer stuff a while back.

Cassidy

931166[/snapback]

Sounds like good advice, thanks! I'm considering putting an ad in the Classifieds section of my paper for a couple of weeks.

931203[/snapback]

also, post a sign at work..I was startled at what people were bringing me in on a daily basis

minorleagueguy

also, post a sign at work..I was startled at what people were bringing me in on a daily basis

minorleagueguy

932537[/snapback]

yeah.. works damn well, everybody from my co-workers to the regular custamers at the bar know that I collect old hardware, with an emphisis on game consoles.

the other day I scored a Ati TV wonder card, with original driver software! FREE DOG!

no idea what I'm going to do with it.. but I got it!

I'm thinking about useing it to back up all my old and obscure VHS tapes before tape rot kills them, thankfully I have a Analog video signal enhancer so it should help with the dumping