IGNORED

5200 Pac-Man

HP Atari King of Michigan

Pac-Man on the almightly 52? AWESOME! When I got the system in '83 after saving allowance like a maniac (and I DID pay with some coins, too!) I thought Pac was nice and smooth with the stock controllers ... the trick is to kinds of slide in to turns; starting turning slightly early, and you get maximum Pac-Man mileage!

What about Ms. Pac?

Ron

hi- im a new member but ive been playing the 5200 for about 3 years-i have to say that i think that 5200 pacman is the hardest pacman around! the ghost are like heat-seeking missles!this year i finally got to the 7th key starting from the cherries level and achieved a score of 801,600. i know past the 7th key is easy but its almost impossible to make it there starting from cherries. by the way- the 5200 controllers are the best for pacman to me. :)

hi- im a new member but ive been playing the 5200 for about 3 years-i have to say that i think that 5200 pacman is the hardest pacman around! the ghost are like heat-seeking missles!this year i finally got to the 7th key starting from the cherries level and achieved a score of 801,600. i know past the 7th key is easy but its almost impossible to make it there starting from cherries. by the way- the 5200 controllers are the best for pacman to me. :)

933639[/snapback]

It's definitely a change from the norm. I agree with your comparison of the ghosts to heat seeking missiles. They just seem to rocket around the maze.

I've been playing the PS2 and PSP Pac-Man games lately, and something which is hard to get used to in the 5200 version is a subtle but major fundamental difference in play. In the arcadeish versions, Pac-Man is faster on the corners. So, if the red ghost is on your ass, you can start taking some rapid corners to keep yourself from being eaten. In the 5200 version, turning down or up with a ghost on your tail is a very bad idea, because they tend to catch you as the game slows you down for vertical travel.

But, overall, I think the 5200/400/800 version is the best classic version of the game, although the Astrocade's version is pretty close. And the NES version looks better/more accurate, but plays like poo.

gabriel, you are right about turning corners-if the ghost is on your tail-youre dead. playing 5200 paccy made the playstation version and the arcade seem easier. 5200 mrs.pac is also very hard-the ghost have smarter patterns than in the arcade. i think that may be why the programmer gave you 5 men. :)