IGNORED

HELP! Adventure 2 on Flashback II

Sorry if this is the wrong place. I haven't played Atari in ages and when I saw the Flashback II and that it had Adventure on it, I had to get it! I loved that game.

I found on it that it has a sequel to it called Adventure II. I can't get to far on it! Ist here any place to go for help? I found two castle but only a key for one of them. Also found a black key but no black castle. I can't find any places to go in the game that I haven't already unless they are hidden!

Any help?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. I haven't played Atari in ages and when I saw the Flashback II and that it had Adventure on it, I had to get it! I loved that game.

I found on it that it has a sequel to it called Adventure II. I can't get to far on it! Ist here any place to go for help? I found two castle but only a key for one of them. Also found a black key but no black castle. I can't find any places to go in the game that I haven't already unless they are hidden!

932090[/snapback]

There should be no black key. Assuming that you've already gone into the Green Castle my guess would be that you have found the Ice Kingdom key (Blue Castle) but for some reason it looks black on your television set. Perhaps it's the Fire Kingdom (Red Castle) key. Try it in those spots and see what happens.

The Green Castle key is always looked within the gold castle.

Once you've obtained it and entered the green (Hedge Kingdom) castle, you'll enter its hidden maze - helpful hint: set the BW/Color switch to BW to reveal the hidden maze if you are having a hard time finding you way through.

Once through you enter the main chamber you can go left to the FIre kingdom or right to the ice kingdom, find their keys and open up the castles, the chalice will be randomly in either castle. Rindle the Red will be guarding the chalice so beware!

Curt

depending on the background color (and the TV) the green castle key often looks black, at least to me.

In most ADV2 games I've played, the green castle key is usually locked inside the home (yellow) castle.

932452[/snapback]

Well, there definititely is a black key if you flip the switch to B&W. :)

933141[/snapback]

Some of Adv2's color selections when in "BW" mode seem odd. While it would probably be good to use color even in B/W mode to help make certain objects distinguishable on a black and white display (colors aren't very distinguishable from each other, but they are distinguishable from shades of gray) Adv2 seems to make the Green, Red, and Blue keys indistinguishable from each other.

Well, there definititely is a black key if you flip the switch to B&W. :)

933141[/snapback]

Some of Adv2's color selections when in "BW" mode seem odd. While it would probably be good to use color even in B/W mode to help make certain objects distinguishable on a black and white display (colors aren't very distinguishable from each other, but they are distinguishable from shades of gray) Adv2 seems to make the Green, Red, and Blue keys indistinguishable from each other.

934690[/snapback]

The way the color/bw switch is used in some (if not most) 2600 games is to load up the color and just conditionally mask off the hue bits right before storing to the registers since this eliminates the need for having two independent color tables (a big deal in the earlier era for sure).

This works best if the colors themselves have different luminances, so that when they go grey they won't be the same brightness otherwise you won't be able to distinguish between them. This would be a disaster if your sprites were the same brightness as the background, for instance.

This is also the same reason why B&W cinematography is approached so differently in the film business. Contrast becomes much more important.

The way the color/bw switch is used in some (if not most) 2600 games is to load up the color and just conditionally mask off the hue bits right before storing to the registers since this eliminates the need for having two independent color tables (a big deal in the earlier era for sure).

The Color/BW switch may be handled that way sometimes, but doing so is rather silly. All it does in that case is eliminate a very small amount of 'dottiness' on a black and white set. Selecting different colors means the programmer can feel free to select color-mode colors based upon visual appearance rather than having to choose values that produce good contrast in BW.

In any case, Adventure and Adventure 2 both have independently-selectable color values for color/bw.

934935[/snapback]

Edited by supercat