IGNORED

Revolution Controller Revealed

Ze_ro

It may end up another off-balanced system like the GC

I couldn't agree more the game cube lacks a lot of specific genres that nintendo will need in order to become a big hitter again. While it's great that they have fanatstic platformers and lots of pick up and play arcade games they need more action games and rpgs. But nintendo isn't the only company at fault in this area. The x box has a similar problem to the cube while it has action games and fps shooters it has a severe lack of platformers. The x box also lacks good rpgs if anything it actually has fewer than the cube. (i don't consider fable to even be an rpg)

The ps2 has a balance problem as well even though it has plenty of great games in all genres, even if they aren't as excellent as a few on the other systems. Since it has so many of everything it has a lot of terrible games, it's best in my opinion to let the crap settle and go in and pick up all the great gems after a very popular system has died. I really hope develoeprs stop making so many half assed games on the ps3, i know it wont happen but i can dream.

All i can say is i hope ms and nintendo can put out more balanced number of games in each genre next generation. I honestly think we can expect a surge of fps games for the revolution due to its controller seeming so perfect for the genre. And ms has kameo coming out with the 360 (i don't think it looks very good) but hey you have to start somewhere.

Also again, you can apparently plug in a REGULAR control pad into this (i.e. NOT have to use the wand/seperate analog thingy). So to me.. that's all bases covered anyway :P

No one knows for sure if the revolution does all the things it's expected to be. For all we know Nintendo could have said that to misdirect everyone (in an effort to maintain secrecy). They have not given clear information as to how non-revolution games will be played. Never in Nintendo's history have they allowed a new console to use controllers of a previous one. You think that's going to change?

The 'Cube side IS clear. You stick your 'Cube disks in and plug a 'Cube controller and memcard into the 'Cube peripheral connectors on the top side of the deck.

With all the focus they put on the remote, it sounds contradictory they would allow players to use old controllers. Not only would they lose money but it would also de-emphasize the use of the remote. If I were Nintendo I would not give players an excuse not to use the tv remote. On the contrary, I would make it very hard for players to use old controllers on the Revolution and force them to buy new ones.

How would they lose money? They pack a new controller in anyways.

Having said that, I DO think people are reading too much into the existence of GameCube controller ports. I've been under the impression that those are ONLY for 'Cube games.

Assuming what Nintendo said is true then let's not be surprised if Nintendo drops backward controller compatibilty at the last minute and say "Oh, and one last thing: to play old NES games you need to buy this nes-pad adapter. It plugs on the remote and will sell for $39.95".

NES pad comes with the system. It's on the wand.

And the only controllers it's backwards-compatible with are 'Cube pads anyways.

Iw as under the impression the UForce was totally devoid of physical controls, and you just sat there waving your hands int eh air.

That was one aspect. It had an additional T-bar you could stick in it to use for flight sim games or platformers or whatever.

Mmmm... I'd been lead to believe that was just a "trainer" so you could learn the hand positions.

But hell, it's the UForce. Who really cares? :P

Because it was an expensive add-on, with absolutely nothing that supported it natively. And VR gloves mapped to a d-pad and pair of buttons kind of defeats the purpose.

True -- but in a way the ability to use it with any pre-existing game was supposed to be one of its selling points.

I know. Just pointing out the reason it performed so poorly is nothing on the system was meant to be played with a VR glove.

DDR's done fairly well in teh home market as well.

But only using ordinary controllers, and then it was all about hand-eye coordination. DDR the home version really didn't do any better or worse than any other average PS2 game.

I thought a lot of dance mats were sold too.

I dunno, people seem to move their computer mice all day and not tire out.

Your hand is generally resting on the same surface as the mouse; no effort required. Try using a mouse ring all day instead.

My lap's a good resting surface.

I'd expend LESS effort flicking the wand about than I would with a mouse, because I wuoldn't have to keep lifting it up and moving over.

I'm still amazed at how many folks seem to still not "get" how this thing works. Read the reviews. You DO NOT have to hold your arm out in the air. Every single review I have read said that it works great with your hand resting on your chair arm or your leg, same a s with a regular controller. It apparantly works with very small, very subtle wrist movements. For the love of mike here, guys, do you also bitch because you have to move your thumbs to operate a conventional controller?

-S

934949[/snapback]

I don't know which is worse: people who complain or those who complain about others complaining (as if they are above it) :roll:

935017[/snapback]

Or those who complain about those complaining about the complainers.

:P

I know it's an old point now but i just though i would say new technology doesn't always offer better games, you still need developers who can make good games.

I think Nintendo knows that... I think the idea here is more to provide people with new ways to play games rather than being stuck with the same, tired control scheme that we've been using for the last 20 years. However, this will enable companies to make some games that may not have been possible (or would have been very difficult) with "conventional" controllers. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I couldn't agree more the game cube lacks a lot of specific genres that nintendo will need in order to become a big hitter again.  While it's great that they have fanatstic platformers and lots of pick up and play arcade games they need more action games and rpgs.

I disagree here. I think the Gamecube has a wider range of titles than most people seem to give it credit for. RPG's seem to get the most derision, but we have Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos (and a sequel coming soon I hear), Paper Mario, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Lost Kingdoms I & II, Phantasy Star Online series, and even ports of Evolution and Skies of Arcadia from the Dreamcast, and Nintendo finally got around to making a real 3D Pokemon RPG if that's your thing (Pokemon XD, which they really should have done much sooner... could have saved the N64 in my opinion). There may not be as many RPG's here as on the PS2, and we may not get the "real" Final Fantasy games, but I still think there are enough RPG's to go around. "Action" games seems like far too broad a category for me to get into, so I'll just provide this link to GameFAQ's "action" section for the GC. Seems like a heck of a lot of titles to me.

--Zero

The remote is no different than a lightgun, a headache-inducing headset, a chainsaw controller or a pair of maracas.

933973[/snapback]

Ummm... since when is a light gun work? I move maybe 2 inches during gun games.

The Rev wand is even better, since I won't be holding it at arm's length for the sake of accurate shooting(don't need a line of sight down it).

And DDR has proven fairly popular, despite requiring way more physical activity.

934034[/snapback]

Have you even held one of those heavy light guns that Namco fancies in their Time Crisis arcade units? My arms are sore after a few minutes of playing! :ponder:

The remote is no different than a lightgun, a headache-inducing headset, a chainsaw controller or a pair of maracas.

933973[/snapback]

The Rev wand is even better, since I won't be holding it at arm's length for the sake of accurate shooting(don't need a line of sight down it).

And DDR has proven fairly popular, despite requiring way more physical activity.

934034[/snapback]

Have you even held one of those heavy light guns that Namco fancies in their Time Crisis arcade units? My arms are sore after a few minutes of playing! :ponder:

937528[/snapback]

I've finished House of the Dead a bunch of times, and it has a big heavy gun. My arms got sore first when I started playing, but now I don't even notice when I use both guns (that's a good way to ramp the difficulty, by the way).

My apologies for not having read the other 9 pages of this thread, but I just looked at those links on page one and.. umm.. that blows gonads. I've loved every generation of Nintendo controller until now. People complained that the square pads of the 8-bit NES pads hurt their hands, but I loved them. People complained that the 16-bit SNES controllers had too many buttons, but I loved them. People complained that the N64 controllers were awkward to hold and that nobody could use an analog stick and controller simultaneously, I totally disagreed. People said the GameCube controllers had a bad layout and that the Z button sucked, once again I thought they were f'n beautiful (especially the Wavebird wireless). But now... they expect me to game with a remote control? That's like handing me the PS2 DVD remote and saying "Here, play Galaga with it." No f'n way dude. They can cram that idea up their Nin-ten-dog.

My apologies for not having read the other 9 pages of this thread, but I just looked at those links on page one and.. umm.. that blows gonads.  I've loved every generation of Nintendo controller until now.  People complained that the square pads of the 8-bit NES pads hurt their hands, but I loved them.  People complained that the 16-bit SNES controllers had too many buttons, but I loved them.  People complained that the N64 controllers were awkward to hold and that nobody could use an analog stick and controller simultaneously, I totally disagreed.  People said the GameCube controllers had a bad layout and that the Z button sucked, once again I thought they were f'n beautiful (especially the Wavebird wireless).  But now... they expect me to game with a remote control?  That's like handing me the PS2 DVD remote and saying "Here, play Galaga with it."  No f'n way dude.  They can cram that idea up their Nin-ten-dog.

937581[/snapback]

Better read the other 9 pages of the thread. :)

Don't you think that the boys at Nintendo (who, I'm sure are fair gamers themselves) might have played some games with this controller? I think we can pretty safely assume that it does the job. This is Nintendo we're talking about here. They make the hardware AND the games. They're hardly going to cripple one by screwing up the other, are they?

I'm seeing a lot of talk about Nintendo needing to cover the 'genres' better this round. I hope they never will. They create genres on a pretty regular basis, though they can't really be categorized the way you can with the average PS2 collection. I think the main failing of the Gamecube was that it was trying to emulate it's competitors too much (a sort of Nintendo Playstation) rather than do what Nintendo has always done best, plough it's own furrow. This new one is unique enough to stamp it's own mark. Maybe it won't be the biggest seller (in fact, I'd be astonished if it was) but it'll give the other two runners a lot of ideas to steal over the next few years.

I think Nintendo knows that... I think the idea here is more to provide people with new ways to play games rather than being stuck with the same, tired control scheme that we've been using for the last 20 years. However, this will enable companies to make some games that may not have been possible (or would have been very difficult) with "conventional" controllers. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Yeah i know, my post was defendng the DS. I have stated several times i think this new controller is a great idea.

disagree here. I think the Gamecube has a wider range of titles than most people seem to give it credit for. RPG's seem to get the most derision, but we have Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos (and a sequel coming soon I hear), Paper Mario, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Lost Kingdoms I & II, Phantasy Star Online series, and even ports of Evolution and Skies of Arcadia from the Dreamcast, and Nintendo finally got around to making a real 3D Pokemon RPG if that's your thing (Pokemon XD, which they really should have done much sooner... could have saved the N64 in my opinion). There may not be as many RPG's here as on the PS2, and we may not get the "real" Final Fantasy games, but I still think there are enough RPG's to go around. "Action" games seems like far too broad a category for me to get into, so I'll just provide this link to GameFAQ's "action" section for the GC. Seems like a heck of a lot of titles to me.

That's about 9 rpgs in 4 years i call that pretty lousy, and a few of those games aren't particularly good anyway.

And did you look at the list of action games? Most of them were horrible games. And the cube does have some good action games but many of them go to all three systems. I can't think of one good hack and slash only on game cube. Battalion wars is good so far, and i think it's a shame they didn't make more action games like this sooner. The game cube isn't the only system with this problem keep in mind but it is still a problem and one that needs to be fixed.

933973[/snapback]

934034[/snapback]

937528[/snapback]

I've finished House of the Dead a bunch of times, and it has a big heavy gun. My arms got sore first when I started playing, but now I don't even notice when I use both guns (that's a good way to ramp the difficulty, by the way).

937537[/snapback]

Puh-leaze. The light guns Sega uses are pretty light compared to the Namco guns. Unless you're talking about the pump shotgun used in House of the Dead III. That sucker is heavy. My arms wear out about five minutes into the game, with all the shooting and pumping. Did that sound dirty? :ponder:

933973[/snapback]

934034[/snapback]

937528[/snapback]

937537[/snapback]

House of the Dead doesn't have a solenoid throwing the slide back every time you shoot. And I'd bet the gun casing is lighter too, as it doesn't need to withstand recoil.

That diffrence is what makes Namco's arcade GunCons so heavy relative to other light guns.

Probably still a fair bit light of realistic, though I've not held a real pistol anywhere near long enough to judge.

By the way, don't forget the Revolution will have 4 Gamecube ports on the top for playing Gamecube games with.

But you wouldn't be able to play the new generation of Revolution games (the ones that are newer than GameCube and wouldn't work on that system) with a GameCube controller though right? You'd still have to use that shitty remote control.

By the way, don't forget the Revolution will have 4 Gamecube ports on the top for playing Gamecube games with.

But you wouldn't be able to play the new generation of Revolution games (the ones that are newer than GameCube and wouldn't work on that system) with a GameCube controller though right? You'd still have to use that shitty remote control.

Damn, why don't you wait 'til it's released and has a few games that take advantage of it before calling it "shitty"? I have my doubts too, but I'm not going to call it "shitty" or "the saviour of casual gaming" before I see how it's used and how well it works.

Unless I'm mistaken Kirk, I'm entitled to an opinion. And after having already been irritated by the play control scheme of the Nintendo DS, I think I've got $150 worth of right to be disgruntled in advance if they're doing it again. I'd love to try it if they set up a demo station at a store, but I'm not sure how they even will without somebody walking off with the remote or the modules - yet another problem I doubt they thought clearly about.

Unless I'm mistaken Kirk, I'm entitled to an opinion.  And after having already been irritated by the play control scheme of the Nintendo DS, I think I've got $150 worth of right to be disgruntled in advance if they're doing it again.  I'd love to try it if they set up a demo station at a store, but I'm not sure how they even will without somebody walking off with the remote or the modules - yet another problem I doubt they thought clearly about.

937899[/snapback]

Now see if you had read the other 9 pages you would have been fully aware that you are not capable of forming a negative opinion of the controller without using it first. If you had come in with a positive opinion without trying it first you would have been more than able to have an advance opinion - didn't you know that's how the world works? Oh no you didn't read the rest of this thread - that was your downfall. :P

Unless I'm mistaken Kirk, I'm entitled to an opinion.  And after having already been irritated by the play control scheme of the Nintendo DS,

I don't see how you could be irritated by "the control scheme of the Nintendo DS" when it has a pad & buttons like 99% of the average controllers out there. You're pretty much pigeon-holing DS games as being 100% touchpad. ...And while that's admittedly true to a certain extent it ignores the exceptions. For example, I enjoy Space Invaders DS w/out a single touchpad touch :)

What you should say is you don't like Touchpad GAMES (ala Kirby) not necessarily the Nintendo DS's available control schemes which of course is wide open to however a manufacture wants to make their game ;)

I'm looking forward to trying the Revolution Controllers. We'll see how it goes. One thing I notice is a lot of people have thinly veiled "anti-nintendo-itis" which I can't understand. It's almost as if their chomping at the bit to see Nintendo fail. I love my ps2 & xbox just as much as the next guy. Heck I modded my Xbox myself in the dark days probably long before the idea even hit our resident Xbox freaks Starscream & Foxy C :lol: The ps2 even longer before that. But you'll never catch me putting Nintendo down. On the contrary I fucking APPLAUD their asses. :D I LIKE the fact they're trying something new. And like I said.. they have the technology... esp w/ games like Wario Ware Twisted proving that motion is indeed a viable and easily usable control scheme. (As opposed to my old Handheld Game "Hyper Ski" which pretty much failed at it :lol:)

So bring it on Nintendo. Nintendo has been making fine toys and gadgets for as long as we can remember and this seems to be just their latest and greatest. (And yes, I think of videogames as TOYS..to be played. That's my opinion as a guy nearing 40 years old). So bring it on Nintendo. You rock :D

Looking forward to trying the Revolution's controllers. There's more than one way to play a game and it's good to see a company take a risk and try something different. It's certainly renewed *my* interest in modern gaming.

- Jason

Unless I'm mistaken Kirk, I'm entitled to an opinion.  And after having already been irritated by the play control scheme of the Nintendo DS, I think I've got $150 worth of right to be disgruntled in advance if they're doing it again.  I'd love to try it if they set up a demo station at a store, but I'm not sure how they even will without somebody walking off with the remote or the modules - yet another problem I doubt they thought clearly about.

Now see if you had read the other 9 pages you would have been fully aware that you are not capable of forming a negative opinion of the controller without using it first. If you had come in with a positive opinion without trying it first you would have been more than able to have an advance opinion - didn't you know that's how the world works? Oh no you didn't read the rest of this thread - that was your downfall. :P

LIKE I SAID...anyone who proclaims this as the downfall OR saviour of Nintendo is talking WAY prematurely. We're talking about descriptions and videos of frickin' prototypes.

I think the thing looks like ass myself, and have sincere fears of it being the bastard child of Virtual Boy and that Phillips CDi crap. But it deserves to be used in some real games before we pretend to know.

And I think the DS is sadly lacking an anlog nub like the PSP has, and that made Mario 64 much less fun....that little "put this on your thumb and rub it on the bottom screen" was lame.

See, I agree with you that there are some scary signs about this...but I don't pretend to KNOW it's "SHITTY".

And somehow I'm glad innovation in controllers is not being dictated by fears of teenieboppers ripping them off of kiosks at the god damn Gamestop. Anyway, they can just do what Best Buy does for some gadgets, firmly bolt something with a long retractable string/wire that's alarmed.

I'm not saying it's great I'm not saying it's garbage. I'm saying I don't know yet and neither do you.

What you should say is you don't like Touchpad GAMES (ala Kirby) not necessarily the Nintendo DS's available control schemes which of course is wide open to however a manufacture wants to make their game ;)

You're right of course. I'm sure there are plenty of good DS games that don't require a touch pad interface, I'll be honest and admit I'm not familiar with them.

I'm looking forward to trying the Revolution Controllers. We'll see how it goes. One thing I notice is a lot of people have thinly veiled "anti-nintendo-itis" which I can't understand.

Well coming from me at least, you know it's not anti-Nintendo. Anybody who owns a complete collection of all retail/mail-order NES games and wears a t-shirt with an NES controller on it that says "know your roots" certainly doesn't have it in for them. I question the wisdom of some of their decisions and I think the proposed controller looks equally questionable, but like the good lil' Nintendo sheep that I am I'll probably buy one the day it comes out anyway and pray for the best.