IGNORED

Revolution Controller Revealed

Ze_ro

The pics say more than my words really could:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/sc...335.html?page=4

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308860&type=lg

Oh wait, the pics don't really completely get the point across that you can plug different stuff into that port on the bottom. So if a game requires something different, you can take out the analog stick and jam something else in there.

DISCUSS!

--Zero

Wow (jaw drops). I'm not really sure about the direction they are going with this. Seems that it would take more effort to control the d-pad (and the other buttons) for long periods of time with a single hand. Same goes for the analog controller that you'd use in your other hand, although I can see that being a little easier since that controller is smaller. If Nintendo did this simply to be different (which the accompanying article suggests), then they are doing this for the wrong reason. It'll be very interesting to try this controller out when the Revolution ships, although the article states that this is not necessarily the final form of the controller. Although any changes after this revelation will probably only be cosmetic.

..Al

The pics say more than my words really could:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/sc...335.html?page=4

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308860&type=lg

Oh wait, the pics don't really completely get the point across that you can plug different stuff into that port on the bottom. So if a game requires something different, you can take out the analog stick and jam something else in there.

DISCUSS!

--Zero

932334[/snapback]

Ugh. I predict immediate failure with this shitty looking controller.

Granted, I don't know all of the details of how this will work yet, but at first blush, I think this is a TERRIBLE idea.

Seems like they dug up every failed "innovative" controller concept of the past two decades and rolled them all into one.

Thumbs down. :thumbsdown: Guess my decision for a next-gen console just got a whole lot easier.

here's another link with some actual info (but crappy pictures, and it's IGN, so beware of ads). Just to get a few things straight:

• The right-hand thingie has gyroscopes in it, so moving it around will control stuff. How this will work out remains to be seen, but the rumors about this feature appear to have been true.
  • Rumor has it that the design was partly intended to be held sideways in order to play NES games. The "b" and "a" buttons at the bottom appear to support this theory. The placement of the power button would seem to be a really bad choice if this is indeed the case.
  • Since it's got that port on the bottom, it's entirely possible that we'll see an add-on that would basically turn it into a "regular" controller. This is just speculation on my part, but I don't think anyone here except JB seems very excited about the expansion possibilities, which (in my opinion) is probably the best feature here.
  • The D-Pad isn't meant for full-time use as a control mechanism. It's almost certainly meant to be used more like the C-buttons on the N64 controller, or the C-stick on the GC controller.

I don't know if this thing will really be the revolution Nintendo wants it to be, but it's definitely a departure from the norm. I don't think anyone can really judge this thing until they try it out. I'm really curious to give this thing a run.

Footage shows them using the device in various ways. Playing instruments. Cutting sushi. Making Mario jump by tilting the controller up. Slashing a sword. Using the remote as a light gun. Performing surgery. It showed an older couple conducting a concert with two remotes. Four girls catching bugs with remotes. Even showed a single person playing with two remotes.

I mean geez... how much of that can be done on a regular controller in an intuitive way?

--Zero

Is it just me or is it very keyboard-and-mousey.

EDIT: they wouldn't per chance be releaseing versions of the old controllers to plug into the bottom of the thing would they?

932351[/snapback]

I'd bet money on it, given it's the thing's major feature.

I mean geez... how much of that can be done on a regular controller in an intuitive way?

--Zero

932361[/snapback]

I'm hopeful that this'll all work out well. I mean, the DS had and odd method of control to, and that's selling (and playing) very well. I'm positive they'll have N64, SNES, and NES attachment pads, I mean with the emmulation on the system I don't seehow they could not do that.

here's another link with some actual info (but crappy pictures, and it's IGN, so beware of ads). Just to get a few things straight:

•  

• The right-hand thingie has gyroscopes in it, so moving it around will control stuff. How this will work out remains to be seen, but the rumors about this feature appear to have been true.

• Rumor has it that the design was partly intended to be held sideways in order to play NES games. The "b" and "a" buttons at the bottom appear to support this theory. The placement of the power button would seem to be a really bad choice if this is indeed the case.

• Since it's got that port on the bottom, it's entirely possible that we'll see an add-on that would basically turn it into a "regular" controller. This is just speculation on my part, but I don't think anyone here except JB seems very excited about the expansion possibilities, which (in my opinion) is probably the best feature here.

• The D-Pad isn't meant for full-time use as a control mechanism. It's almost certainly meant to be used more like the C-buttons on the N64 controller, or the C-stick on the GC controller.

The 1-Up article pointed most of that out, too.

As of right now, it's actually the only one I've looked at. :P

Actually, 1Up had more than that. They playtested a REvolution version of Metroid Prime 2 and said it worked darn well.

I don't know if this thing will really be the revolution Nintendo wants it to be, but it's definitely a departure from the norm. I don't think anyone can really judge this thing until they try it out. I'm really curious to give this thing a run.

Footage shows them using the device in various ways. Playing instruments. Cutting sushi. Making Mario jump by tilting the controller up. Slashing a sword. Using the remote as a light gun. Performing surgery. It showed an older couple conducting a concert with two remotes. Four girls catching bugs with remotes. Even showed a single person playing with two remotes.

Thank you.

At least some people are willing to GIVE SOMETHING A FUCKING CHANCE.

No wonder we're stuck with half-assed kludges to a controller that's 2 decades old and was intended to be small instead of effective. Because when someone tries something genuinely new, they're laughed off the stage.

Edited by JB

It could have some interesting uses.

A sword game for one thing, you can actually swing the gyroscope like a sword.

Or, as it said possibly use two and have complete control of a game, just by moving the right thingies.

I am quite suprised, but not for a good way. We'll see how they play this one out. My question: How the hell are you supposed to play super smash brothers with this thing?