IGNORED

Atari Falcon For Sale

DarkLord

Folks, I've gotten my first Falcon pretty well setup so I'm offering up my 2nd Falcon for sale. Its on Ebay. Its a 4 meg RAM, 1.4 gig HD comp. All keys, good shape, very clean. The only problem may be a questionable expansion port header. Let me explain. I sent it off to Mark Ducksworth for the motherboard mod and while he was doing this he had some

problems with the header (random crashing). He did some work/repair to it and it seemed to be fixed. When I got the machine back, I re-attached the CT60 and the machine would work fine for about 20-30 mins then crash. I talked to Mark about it and he took a 2nd look at it. Right before this I had picked up a 2nd Falcon so I sent them both to him and had him switch everything out just in case. He took the MB mod off the 1st Falcon and set it back to its original state. The point is, that doing this 2nd period, Mark could not get it to crash or do anything like it did on me. Thats why I say questionable. I felt it was better if I told everyone about it though, before considering buying it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-Falcon-For-Sale_...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by DarkLord

With the falcon work on a tv?

What about Pc vga monitors?

How long did you run the machine to check for error's?

What type of Hard drive in it?

Will the machine read Pc formatted disks like my 1040 will?

I better shut up now!

Thanks for any info....

Btw where did you get your two falcon's from...?

-Rick

With the falcon work on a tv?

What about Pc vga monitors?

How long did you run the machine to check for error's?

What type of Hard drive in it?

Will the machine read Pc formatted disks like my 1040 will?

I better shut up now!

Thanks for any info....

Btw where did you get your two falcon's from...?

-Rick

935386[/snapback]

Okay, in order <grin>

Yes, the Falcon has a TV output just like other STs.

Yes, the Falcon will work with any standard VGA monitor as long as you have the correct adaptor.

With the CT60 hooked up the very first time, I got zero crashes. After Mark did the mod on the MB, he got random crashes and worked on the header. After that, he got no crashes. I put it back together here - attached the CT60 and got crashes after about 20 to 20 minutes or so. I sent it back to Mark, and he could not duplicate the crashes, it worked fine for him. Go figure. Setting here now, with everything set back to factory defauts and no CT60 attached, I let it run for about 2-3 hours and it was solid as a rock.

If you mean brand name of the hard drive, I'm not sure. I'll have to double - check. It reports 1440 megs, so I read that as 1.4 gigs, which is an upgrade up from the standard 65 or 80 megs the original Falcons came with. It is a 2.5" internal IDE drive.

Yes, it will read standard 1.44 meg floppys.

No problem. :-)

I bought both machines from the same guy. Don S. (I'd attempt his last name but I don't remember how to spell it.). <sheepish grin> Nice guy, BTW,... I think he goes by "atari_only"...

See ya! :-)

One more question... and this is a silly one...

Will my Dungeon Master disk boot up and work on a 4meg falcon?

I'm sure I'll have more serious questions later...

mmmm my birthday is next week... I gotta talk to the wife tomorrow.

:D

Ohhh wait this is an ebay listing... I bet the thing will go for hundreds!

time for bed.....

must sleep on this....

-rick

Just wanted to add a followup - Mark Ducksworth was nice enough to type up

some info on the Falcon I'm selling, the one that he looked at. Here it is:

------

Hello,

I didn't actually do any soldering work the second time around but just

pushed on the pins a bit. It seemed solid to me. Any oddities could

have been a product of humidity or celestial alignment or you name

it ;) The point is that this falcon is perfect with one possible

exception, if you install something on the upgrade header and things

behave oddly, you know where to look. If it gives you problems, there's

one single pin (but not sure which one specifically) which should be hit

with a soldering iron from the top (bad or pulled through-hole metal).

http://aoi.atari-source.com/~mduckworth/header.jpg - image is actually

ctlink from rodolphe's site, just pretend it's the motherboard ;) If

you know the falcon at all, you can tell which header we're speaking of

from the image.

But as I said, it should be fine, and if it gives you trouble, just

adjust the device plugged onto this header a tiny bit.

Thanks,

Mark

------

Thanks everyone.

One more question... and this is a silly one...

Will my Dungeon Master disk boot up and work on a 4meg falcon?

I'm sure I'll have more serious questions later...

mmmm my birthday is next week... I gotta talk to the wife tomorrow.

:D

Ohhh wait this is an ebay listing... I bet the thing will go for hundreds!

time for bed.....

must sleep on this....

-rick

935459[/snapback]

Yes, Dungeon Master will run on a Falcon. It is considerably faster though! :-)

See ya later.

Guys, I just wanted to let everyone know that I lowered the reserve price on this item, and after some questions about shipping, I've decided that I will ship out of the US as long as the buyer understands that (in the end) they will be paying for that.

Honestly, I paid $275.00 for this machine, plus S&H, plus the work Mark did on it.

So I've actually got more than $300 in it. I'm not making a dime on it by selling it. I just thought that I could get (at least) my money back on it, and perhaps allow someone in the Atari community who didn't have a Falcon, to get one.

So much for all the talk I've been hearing about how much higher end Atari machines (STe, Mega STe, TTs and Falcons) are going for. Look at the current bid on this machine and the auction is very nearly over. :-(

Thanks everyone.

It's currently sitting at $300, so you're doing okay.  Also remember, the most important bids always come in the last minutes and seconds.

938071[/snapback]

Amen to that... Over the past year, there have been a few Falcons on ebay that were $200-300 coming down to the wire that got bid up to $400+ Took me forever to get one for less than $400.

It's currently sitting at $300, so you're doing okay.  Also remember, the most important bids always come in the last minutes and seconds.

938071[/snapback]

Wow. Must have just happened since I looked at it late last night. Literally minutes before I posted that message it was sitting at $132... :-)

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

About a week after your auction ended, someone on a different forum offered to buy a fully working Falcon in good condition, preferrably with a large hard disk. He was willing to pay up to $40 for it. :roll: I wonder where one would find that machine. Someone else replied that one should buy about a dozen Falcons if they sell for $40 each.

About a week after your auction ended, someone on a different forum offered to buy a fully working Falcon in good condition, preferrably with a large hard disk. He was willing to pay up to $40 for it. :roll: I wonder where one would find that machine. Someone else replied that one should buy about a dozen Falcons if they sell for $40 each.

949601[/snapback]

Heh. That is funny! The other guy was right - if they went for $40 I'd have a couple of spares as well. :-)

Falcons are shortage goods. It is not easy to find cheap Falcons today. I bought one in June for 156 Euro.

949604[/snapback]

Quite right. It isn't just Falcons though - I think its any "higher end" Atari in good shape. I just watched a Mega STe go on Ebay for about $210, before shipping.

Not that I'm selling, but it does make me wonder what my CT60'ed Falcon, in a Wizztronics rack case, with an 80 gig HD, 12/4/32 Plextor CDRW and 256 megs of SDRAM would go for (probably not near what I've got in it!).

Life wouldn't be the same without though. :-)

I was very thankful to be given my 4MB MSTE with a 40-50MB HD for free, even without a keyboard. Though it is funny to see just keyboards for these things selling for $150 alone! But so far I've only spent $30 on a math co-processor and use my 1040's keyboard with the cable I made. I would have gladly payed $150-200 for it without the keyboard. The guy that gave it to me still has a Falcon and another STE (I think a Mega, but not sure). I got lucky becuase he isn't involved with the net&E-bay commmunity at all, so no real way to sell online except through me (though he specifically asked me never to sell it and give it back if I didn't want it anymore). I was collecting dust in his closet, so he offered it to me. We are working on projects together though that involve the machines; he knew I needed something more powerful than my 1040ST.

Edited by Gunstar