IGNORED

JRI Ram upgrade Manual

Atari_Only

Good luck! I've go a 520ST that has the JRI memory and 4096 color board in it too, and it isn't working right (the person who did the mods didn't do it quite right I guess), and I've been looking for manuals for both of these for almost 2 years now. I can find NOTHING on the internet at all, and no one was ever able to help me either. I do know that B&C still sells the 4096 color upgrade and you could get the manual that way, possibly (assuming the kit comes complete from B&C), but that sucks when you don't need the hardware, just the manual, to go and buy it all over again.

Good luck! I've go a 520ST that has the JRI memory and 4096 color board in it too, and it isn't working right (the person who did the mods didn't do it quite right I guess), and I've been looking for manuals for both of these for almost 2 years now. I can find NOTHING on the internet at all, and no one was ever able to help me either. I do know that B&C still sells the 4096 color upgrade and you could get the manual that way, possibly (assuming the kit comes complete from B&C), but that sucks when you don't need the hardware, just the manual, to go and buy it all over again.

937604[/snapback]

Are all the wires on yours connected? I would appreciate it if you could maybe tell me where they go on your 520.

This why a few years ago I wanted to start a collection with all the Atari RAM upgrades and not everyone was up to it. I received 1 manual that was in German and stil have it. If any one ever asks for it I have it. I also have a other manuals but not this manual.

Thanks ,

AO

937604[/snapback]

Are all the wires on yours connected? I would appreciate it if you could maybe tell me where they go on your 520.

This why a few years ago I wanted to start a collection with all the Atari RAM upgrades and not everyone was up to it. I received 1 manual that was in German and stil have it. If any one ever asks for it I have it. I also have a other manuals but not this manual.

Thanks ,

AO

937653[/snapback]

Most of the wiring is connected, a couple came loose and I'm not positive where they go but I think I might know. But, the problem is, that I don't have an unmodified 520st motherboard to compare it too, to tell exaclty what what is standard and what is part of the modifications. I'd need to look at a 520ST with the same revision motherboard as the one I have to compare. Maybe we can help each other out, or maybe pics would be useful to you, but I only have a low-quality camera phone, so clear high-res pictures are a bit difficult (res of 640x480).

So maybe I could do it with about half a dozen or more close-up shots or something, but also, who ever did the mod originally wasn't too concerned with neatness and wires fare going all over the place, so chances of you dicerning what is going on from my pictures would be extremely difficult at best.

An unmodified STFM mothboard Revision F, image is about 5.0Mb uncompressed, apearing as 1.5Mb on the HDD disk. Would suggest you right-click download on this.

http://www.retro.dial.pipex.com/DSCF2237.JPG

The images here might also help; http://www.retro.dial.pipex.com/stram/

Edited by techie_alison

An unmodified STFM mothboard Revision F, image is about 5.0Mb uncompressed, apearing as 1.5Mb on the HDD disk.  Would suggest you right-click download on this.

939044[/snapback]

Didn't JRI do the v. first graphics chip upgrade (4096 or 32k) of stf/m/st

937604[/snapback]

Thanks ,

AO

937653[/snapback]

Most of the wiring is connected, a couple came loose and I'm not positive where they go but I think I might know. But, the problem is, that I don't have an unmodified 520st motherboard to compare it too, to tell exaclty what what is standard and what is part of the modifications. I'd need to look at a 520ST with the same revision motherboard as the one I have to compare. Maybe we can help each other out, or maybe pics would be useful to you, but I only have a low-quality camera phone, so clear high-res pictures are a bit difficult (res of 640x480).

So maybe I could do it with about half a dozen or more close-up shots or something, but also, who ever did the mod originally wasn't too concerned with neatness and wires fare going all over the place, so chances of you dicerning what is going on from my pictures would be extremely difficult at best.

937905[/snapback]

What version of the 520 motherboard do you need a pic of? I have a few of them.

AO

937604[/snapback]

Thanks ,

AO

937653[/snapback]

937905[/snapback]

What version of the 520 motherboard do you need a pic of? I have a few of them.

AO

939558[/snapback]

Rev. D

An unmodified STFM mothboard Revision F, image is about 5.0Mb uncompressed, apearing as 1.5Mb on the HDD disk.  Would suggest you right-click download on this.

939044[/snapback]

939267[/snapback]

Probably, It's just a board that allows the use of two video shifter chips instead of one. This increases the pallette from 512 to 4096 like an STE from what I understand, though I have no idea if it's compatible with the STE's 4096 color pallette. I haven't been able to try it yet, but my assumption is that it will work with one or all of the paint programs that were resolution&color independant, which was most of the later releases, that could work on an ST/STE/TT/Falcon and usually were also VGA compatible for most upgrades too.

But I don't know if it would work with any games that use the extended pallette of the STE or not. I've wanted to take both the memory upgrade and 4096 color video shifter board out of this old 520 and install it in my 1040, but I could never find any documentation and there are literally dozens and dozens of wire hooking the memory mod and video mod together as well as to the motherboard. On mine, none are marked in any way and they are all red&blue wires.

939044[/snapback]

Thanks for the effort, but those images are of a different motherboard which I can't use and the memory upgrade, while it is quite similiar to one I've been planning on doing to my 1040 since I couldn't find documentation on the JRI simm board, the JRI upgrade is quite different, though I'm sure that many, if not all the same contact points may be used in both upgrades, that wouldn't help at all to know where those points are coming from on the JRI upgrade to the motherboard. I can't compare due to the different motherboards and entirely different arrangement of that board. I'll post picture in another reply.

939044[/snapback]

939267[/snapback]

Probably, It's just a board that allows the use of two video shifter chips instead of one. This increases the pallette from 512 to 4096 like an STE from what I understand, though I have no idea if it's compatible with the STE's 4096 color pallette. I haven't been able to try it yet, but my assumption is that it will work with one or all of the paint programs that were resolution&color independant, which was most of the later releases, that could work on an ST/STE/TT/Falcon and usually were also VGA compatible for most upgrades too.

But I don't know if it would work with any games that use the extended pallette of the STE or not. I've wanted to take both the memory upgrade and 4096 color video shifter board out of this old 520 and install it in my 1040, but I could never find any documentation and there are literally dozens and dozens of wire hooking the memory mod and video mod together as well as to the motherboard. On mine, none are marked in any way and they are all red&blue wires.

939711[/snapback]

I only remember it because it predated the Microcomputer mart's article of the test marketing of the'ÉST' (which eventually became the STE) though they did mention it did 32k colours but i could be wrong..... Whatever happened to the ST/STE/Falcon version of the Nova gfx card (16.7million colour range, pc stylee rez etc)

939044[/snapback]

939267[/snapback]

939711[/snapback]

I only remember it because it predated the Microcomputer mart's article of the test marketing of the'ÉST' (which eventually became the STE) though they did mention it did 32k colours but i could be wrong..... Whatever happened to the ST/STE/Falcon version of the Nova gfx card (16.7million colour range, pc stylee rez etc)

939896[/snapback]

I honestly don't know for sure what the pallette is on the JRI 4096 color board, even though the name SHOULD say it all, but things like this can be decieving; does it mean it can actually display 4096 colors on-screen and the pallette is actualy 32k colors? Or is it merely enhancing the pallette to 4096 colors and the actual on-screen colors are still only 16 without the use of Spectrum 512 or other color-depth&resolution independent paint programs. I wanted to find out. I have never heard of the Nova card as far as I can remember, but back in the day when it was a going concern, I was still using 8-bit Atari's so I merely skimmed any info on the ST/TT line since I didn't have it yet. Most of what I know I've learned in the past two years while owning and ST, but I do suprise myself sometimes at what I remember about the ST from 15-20 years ago...

I suspect that since this board merely uses two of the ST's video shifter chips, that it only expands the pallette to 4096 colors, but maybe, just maybe, it also expands the possible on-screen colors to 32...like the Amiga...4096 color pallette, 32 colors onscreen...? Hmm...maybe 64 colors onscreen? But without documentation on how to connect it and how it works, I'll never know. In anycase, you'd probably need color-depth&resolution independant paint programs to take advantage of it. It *might* be compatible with STE 4096 color pallette though...

Edited by Gunstar

939044[/snapback]

939267[/snapback]

939711[/snapback]

939896[/snapback]

I honestly don't know for sure what the pallette is on the JRI 4096 color board, even though the name SHOULD say it all, but things like this can be decieving; does it mean it can actually display 4096 colors on-screen and the pallette is actualy 32k colors? Or is it merely enhancing the pallette to 4096 colors and the actual on-screen colors are still only 16 without the use of Spectrum 512 or other color-depth&resolution independent paint programs. I wanted to find out. I have never heard of the Nova card as far as I can remember, but back in the day when it was a going concern, I was still using 8-bit Atari's so I merely skimmed any info on the ST/TT line since I didn't have it yet. Most of what I know I've learned in the past two years while owning and ST, but I do suprise myself sometimes at what I remember about the ST from 15-20 years ago...

I suspect that since this board merely uses two of the ST's video shifter chips, that it only expands the pallette to 4096 colors, but maybe, just maybe, it also expands the possible on-screen colors to 32...like the Amiga...4096 color pallette, 32 colors onscreen...? Hmm...maybe 64 colors onscreen? But without documentation on how to connect it and how it works, I'll never know. In anycase, you'd probably need color-depth&resolution independant paint programs to take advantage of it. It *might* be compatible with STE 4096 color pallette though...

940773[/snapback]

The JRI 4096 color board just expanded the color palette to 4096 colors. It did not expand the number of colors on screen at the same time (i.e. you're still limited to 16 colors on screen at the same time). :( The expanded color palette was compatible with the STE's expanded color palette though. Some games such as Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and paint programs that took advantage of the STE color paletter could be used with the JRI board. However, my eyes STILL couldn't tell the difference between a picture displaying 16 colors out of 512, and 16 colors out of 4096. :| (I remember people kept pointing out how the shading is so much better with the 4096 color palette. Not to me unfortunately... :sad: )

BTW, having the JRI 4096 color board does not mean you can run STE-only games as they mostly use STE specific features that regular STs cannot be upgraded to. Fine scrolling is probably the biggest STE feature that can't be replicated on an upgraded ST. You have to read the system requirements in the manual/box to see if a game is ST compatible with STe enhanced features and so forth.