IGNORED

what do you want the FB3 to be?

234 members have voted

1. 1. what do you want the FB3 to be?

• I want it to be a 2600/7800/5200 with 50+ games
    • I want it to be a recreation of an atari 800/400 working compy

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Something else awace mentioned is the ability to save state. I think that would be a nice addition (especially for longer games).

In addition, if it had support for a fat memory stick in it (by the time the FB3 is available there might be 4GB or 8GB sticks!) it would be cool to go into the menu and then record video of you playing your friend over the net (assuming it had wireless networking). Maybe even have support for a mic and record your voices too. Then you could post your crazy antics on YouTube :)

You could also have tournaments, etc. (maybe even built-in support for round robin, etc. that showed standings and used Atari/Infogrames as the tournament server maybe for a monthly fee).

I know, I know... getting carried away. But it would be cool to do this and basically have a retro gaming console.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
we should have the ability to plug in a memory stick full of game roms at the very least.

don't tell me it can't be done

I have to admit I did not read the thousands of replies about this subject in different topics, but there is one thing I don't understand about this.

The only 'interesting' part for having a FlashBack 3 is there is brandnew hardware able running our so beloved a8 software. It's new, so the disadvantage of failing equipment (due to higher age) is gone.

But... there is still SO MUCH original equipment available these days, on which there is so much possible. Al the thing people are asking for, are already possible on the available (2nd hand) atari 8bit computers. Brandnew XE computers are still available....

Ofcourse: I'm very excited by the idea there will be a new (a8) compatible machine available... but only for the idea it is brand new...

The memory-stick option is still possible (Sio2USB) on real a8.

Thanks

Marius

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, lets see....

Plays 2600, 7800, and 5200 games... Includes some of the best for each system (5200 would be a problem with joystick routines.). If 5200 conversion is too much, replace 5200 with 800xl. Plenty of good games there (must have M.U.L.E. if going in this direction). Also lots of the 5200 games are on the 800xl anyway.

I want a GOOD joystick, that has a pause button built into it (at least for 7800 and 5200 games). I built one for the 7800 using a Radica Space Invaders TV game stick (with out the pause). I used some instructions on this site (can't remember who did it first). Anyway it and a CC2 cart makes playing the 7800 a real joy. So the FB3 should have a GOOD joystick.

It would be super nice if it had a memory stick to add games to it, in addition to some of the great included games from the authors on this site.... Atari Interactive ea.... :)

You could purchase an original .bin file from this site for download to the beast. A nice menu that would show cart graphics would also be a nice touch. The add on memory stick would be a customer purchased item.

Small in size, designed in the old Atari tradition but with a nice blue power LED.

If it is a portable (hope not), it must be able to hook to the TV (good cable length) and have a jack for a real joystick (or two). It must also have a AC wall wart.

If I'm going to dream, let it also play Vectrex games (just kidding, this would get you into emulation land, unless.....)

Better stop now.. starting to get silly :)

Just out of curiosity, was the Atari 800 multistandard (PAL/NTSC/SECAM)? I get the impression that if the Flashback 3 is a mini 800 then it might be NTSC only.

not entirely sure what your question is.

The 800 (indeed all the a8 computers) were available in NTSC and many of the PAL/SECAM formats.

Much of the software is compatible on any machine, with only some demos and a few games not being 100%

Just curious if anyone is currently still working on this project at Atari, whatever it will be called. :) I'm guessing that it isn't dead yet, and I know we are in radio silence mode, but there was all that hubbub a couple of months back, and just want to make sure all is relatively ok and still on track for Spring 08 (even if there was a slip I won't complain).

As far as we know, Curt is still working on this baby, I am sure he would tell us if it was dead.

But as I understand it, if this thing is based on the 8bit computers then it could be released without Atari's involvement as the OS is now PD.

• 1 month later...

We wait with baited breath. I think I already tossed in my opinions, but it's been so long.

A8/52 with the newer prototype video/sound/io chips, more memory.. OMG AMAZING!

Would a 65c816 @ higher MHz with backwards compatibility be a contender for CPU?

VERY EXCITING STUFF. I'm in for at least 3 units.

Edited by Joe Stella

This is funny.. This thread reminds me of a few years back having magazines like Amiga Format making polls about what the new Amiga should include.

Out of nowhere and for no specific reason, Infogrames/Atari decided to release a games-included console in the form of Flashback 1. It sold well so they went further and released the Flashback 2. Basically both were microboards that included games that noone had to sit and write again, or bring new ideas (except from adapting some homebrews for the flashback 2 - which still they didnt created anyway).

Atari didnt created any radical new design (they even used the shape of 7800 and VCS for Flashback 1 and 2), let alone the inside. Do you really thing guys that they will decide and approve a motherboard design/develop/manufacturing? They made some quick money with Flashback's and maybe there is a 3rd at sometime that will include some different games in a similar packaging.

But a new console? Something giving the old 2600 a boost like a save score feature sim card? Not in your dreams. Let alone something more radical like interchanging console that supports 2600 up to 7800. That would require hardware which they will never waste money to develop. Its logistics and profits above all.

Something radical and bold would be a new Atari 2600 console (could be a Flashback 2 with a cartridge port for all we care) and a series

of 20-30 games that would be offered like the rest of console games. In box and on shelves for the consumer to buy. They could create a cheap advertising campaign like "Atari is back" or something like it. So they would offer a console able to run a few available games that someone could buy at will, under the influence of Vintag-ity and in general the same reason that Flashback units made good sales in this modern super power console world.

-Is there space for vintage gaming in 2008 and beyond? Yes there is. Flashbacks and all other plug-and-play units prove it day by day.

-Would it be feasible for Atari to create a new console able to run old 2600 games? Yes, in the form of a Flashback 2 where they dont have to redesign or alter anything rather than including a cartridge port and erasing the games from rom.

-Would it be possible to offer standalone games on store shelves? Why not? If they manage to obtain games written from Atari (I have no clue here who has those rights nowadays) then all they would had to do would be to make a production line of cartridges, say maybe 20-30 different titles, and have them available in a standalone Atari kiosk (and away from all modern consoles) like the good old days, available for sale. For about 20$ a game (estimation - it can cost that much only because of the cartridge media), I am sure that they would sell well and it would definitelly strike a chord to all dads and moms out there (30-40 years old now) that this comeback would remind them their youth and will hook them to buy those offered-again consoles.. Would they buy those units? Most probably. Would they buy the games? Being offered in a price way bellow the cheapest modern console game, gives an affirmative answer too. And given the fact that there would be a number of limited 20-30 titles, it is most certain that they would love to have them all as a complete collection. That would be feasible and easy to do so.

I would be delighted to see something like that on stores. But I dont see them in anyway designing an upgraded or new complicated console able to run 2600/5200/7800 games or 8bit games from the moment that none of them is offered in any physical way.

History has proven that lack of software titles can cost seriously in any system mass produced. Thats why they follow the games-included technique so they bypass all producing/distributing/selling line of games.

Bottom line.. we will be lucky enough to see a new console (in form of flashback or not) able to accept cartridges..

And its sad, since I always see kids wondering around those plug-and-play units and fall for them, for their simple graphics and simple gaming..

Atari could had been the one to bring vintage gaming back to surface and with a different approach, offering something that noone has done before or cares to. They carry the name and legacy.. but it seems that its the only thing left from that glorious era. I wonder if Nolan Bushnell would dare to do something like that if he was in charge of Atari nowadays..

Edited by phil_vr

We wait with baited breath.
Basically both were microboards that included games that noone had to sit and write again, or bring new ideas (except from adapting some homebrews for the flashback 2 - which still they didnt created anyway).

Joe Stella is going to meet you at high noone in the center of town with a worm in his mouth. You bring the fish. :D

I thought the FB3 was dead now, along with Atari? It would be cool if something is still on the way. Give me an Atari 5200 with an old Xbox-like controller where I can use the thumbsticks to play games that require two joysticks such as Robotron: 2084 and I'd be very happy.

Curt did say in a post on another forum topic that he is not working on anything for Atari at the moment.

There's been some speculation in another thread that another company might want an Atari product designed for them, in the same way that the Atari 10 in 1 joystick and Atari paddle games were designed for Jakks Pacific and not Atari.

Licencing the Atari name wouldn't make Atari as much money, but it would allow them to avoid the expense of designing and tooling up for a new product.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...13827&st=25

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A 2600 junior sized 5200 with sturdier controllers and appropiately sized innards (Debug board?) I know the console should sport a 2600 style tip adapter for the current controller tip. Also would LOVE to see ALL the games on one Half large and wide board. And the "cartridge slot" should be a disguised memory switch to switch between 2600/5200/7800 games.

I'd like a 5200/800XL hybrid with a usb socket in a DS style case.

...and I reckon that Atari should start selling the original Flashback 2 chip to TV manufacturers so it could be built into LCD and plasma TV's as well as set top tuners.

Edited by Math You