IGNORED

Best 2600 Star Wars Game

DuckandCover

Unlike my previous post, a serious query.

I’m sure that it has been discussed on this board before, but I’m curious about what prevailing opinion is. What do you think was the best Star Wars game produced for the 2600?

I guess I can’t ask such a question without sticking my own neck out first. This may be nostalgia, rather than objective analysis, speaking, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. I still find the fast, frenetic game play enjoyable and addictive. I never seem to tire of blasting away Imperial Walkers. Admittedly, Star Wars: The Arcade Game was an amazing programming achievement for the 2600. I’ve just always thought that ESB had an outstanding fun factor.

In Depth Analysis

HARDWARE COMPARISON:

"STAR WARS THE ARCADE GAME"

THE ORIGINAL ATARI Star Wars ARCADE Cabinet:

MAIN CPU:

It uses a 68B09E microprocessor @ 1.5 mhz, 48 kilobytes of program ROM; 2 kilobytes of program RAM, digital divider and matrix processor for 3D graphics.

SOUND:

Second 68B09E microprocessor @ 1.5 mhz; 16 kilobytes of ROM, 2 Kb of RAM, a 6532A PIA with 128 bytes of RAM, 4 POKEY units.

(Phew we're almost done keep reading!)

VECTOR GRAPHICS:

The analog vector-generator which draws the lines on the screen. It has 12 kilobytes of vector RAM and 4 kilobytes of vector ROM. Vector QuadraScan Color.

ATARI 2600 Star Wars Arcade:

CPU:

One 6507 @ 1.19 mhz, and one RIOT chip with 128 BYTES! of RAM. GAME PROGRAM: 8 Kb.

GRAPHICS and everything else: TIA chip @ 1.19 mhz

That's it!

Considering how limited our beloved VCS is compared to the original arcade hardware, you can tell we were lucky enough to be able to play it in our Ataris.

I go with SW:TAG.

For me back in the day...this game really made me feel as if I was playing the arcade version at home. True the towers flicker like mad and the Ties just buzz around on the screen...and there are no turrets to take out in the towers or the trench...but DAMN! They actually pulled it off on the VCS!!!

You have to admit that flickering aside...the trench run does feel like your flying sorta 3D at a fast pace. Besides the latter levels with the barriers doing all sorts of strange combos will really get your pulse and adrenaline up! I actually still swerve from side to side sometime when I play that game.

I've rambled long enough...back to fighting off this sinus infection...ugh..