IGNORED

Mike Mika -> Kickman & 2600 Programming book???

Scott Stilphen

Wow. Wings looks really good, doesn't it?

Interesting approach to the dials on the bottom. How did they get that much text on a line above and below the dials???

The score at the top looks like it was done with inverse sprites (black) over playfield in order for the playfield to "draw" the lines between the digits.

Really well done. I hope someone finds that game.

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Saunders:

Interesting approach to the dials on the bottom. How did they get that much text on a line above and below the dials???

I'm 99.9% sure, the lower two shots are not from a 2600. Way to much resolution, especially in the bottom area.

quote:

I'm 99.9% sure, the lower two shots are
not
from a 2600. Way to much resolution, especially in the bottom area.

You are right. If you look at the release chart, Wings isn't even listed for the 2600, but it is for the 8-bits. I'm just surprised how blocky the horizon is if it's a game for the 8-bits.

I think the Targ screenshot probably is the 2600, though, since that game wasn't scheduled for the 8 bit.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Glenn Saunders ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

[QBPhaser Patrol has some hard-to-believe graphics (so it might be possible), but I doubt CBS's RAM Plus chip was capable of that picture.[/QB]

With using RAM plus for a selfmodifying kernel (don't know if that is technical possible) you could save some extra cycles for some extra graphic tricks. But still the limitations of the 2600 wouldn't allow that kind of screen.

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Saunders:

You are right. If you look at the release chart, Wings isn't even listed for the 2600, but it is for the 8-bits.

I definitely remember CBS showing off Wings for the 2600 at a Press party in New York City one week before the 1983 Summer CES (first time I met Kunkel and Katz!). I don't remember CBS at CES, but i'm sure they showed it there too.

Anyway, the release schedule that Scott Stilphin posted, which was given to me at that press party, does indeed show that Wings was to be released for the 2600 in August 1983.

[ 04-14-2002: Message edited by: rolenta ]