IGNORED

why is atari 2600 so cool?

Atari freak 1

I'm not sure I'm authorized to speak on behalf of other websites. Atarinvader keeps me on a really short leash, in the basement, but I will tell you this:

Atari is cool because it has fun, plug and play games that everyone can enjoy.

But don't quote me on that, I'm liable to be beaten with wet reeds.

No Comment Stan

Atari is cool because the games aren't hard to to find; even the very rare are not impossible.

It's cool because caches of games can still be found under piles of books and clothers at your local flea market.

It's cool because the games were the first to be themed by the shows, cartoons, and lifestyles of the 80's.

It's cool because, for some of us, the 2600 was never uncollectible. There was just a time when there wan't as much competition for the system and games.

And lastly it is cool because today there IS that competition. This popularity is why we have so many resources on the net now, such as Atariage. And those hardcore 2600 fans of the late 80's who still collected and played their consoles even tho their friends played Nintendo and Sega, are rewarded by seeing the value of their games increase.

Long live the King of Consoles!

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

Cool is:

700 games to play

5000 games to collect

Cannot beat that

cheers,

Marco

That say much. One other thing, I think I have seen the most games or variations. But sometimes I see game variants which I never saw before.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

I'm not sure I'm authorized to speak on behalf of other websites. Atarinvader keeps me on a really short leash, in the basement, but I will tell you this:

Atari is cool because it has fun, plug and play games that everyone can enjoy.

But don't quote me on that, I'm liable to be beaten with wet reeds.

No Comment Stan

Word to that Atarinvader leash thing

As a kid growing up the 2600 system was new and had so many games and extras to buy for it that kids in my area always wanted to have more than the other person, plus we would trade games with each other to see which ones we liked the best. In the end Atari helped me meet new people and friends and that's one of things that made growing up so much fun.

Not too long ago, I read a review of a PC game that was graphically "behind the curve" in comparison to similar, competing titles. The reviewer made the wise point that it was solid game play, not graphics, that makes or breaks a game. I think that the 2600 still offers some of the best game play imaginable. 2600 carts are still, after many years and jumps in technology, some of the most enjoyable games ever created, and the play action is often far better than the newest console or PC titles. Gaming communities like this one are a testimony to that excellent game play. Folks like us never tire of these great games.

And, like others, the 2600 carries with it a lot of happy childhood memories for me personally.

Atari 2600 is cool because:

1) Great Gameplay, something that's not easy to find in most new generation games that focus on eyecandy.

2) Huge library of games available.

3) Joystick controllers.

3) Hours of fun at a low cost. You can find used VCS for $20-$50. Common games range at $2-$5, Rare games can go up to a couple of hundred bucks, but fortunately common games are usually the most fun to play.

4) Nostalgia. The VCS was our favourite game system in our childhood.

5) It looks cool! The Atari-2600A rev2 all black (Vader) is one good looking piece of hardware.