IGNORED

Yard Sale find today OBELIX

snakeeyesdd

Yes, Obelix is a great find. If this is NTSC that much better.

The PAL version is Rare, but the NTSC version is very Rare. Not many were found. They exist more PAL games of this. I have 2 diffrent PAL Lables.

So you are very lucky if this is NTSC.

Well here in north America we use the NTSC version of these games but people in Australia and Europe use Pal. Some people here say that they can play pal type games on their systems because they have older T.V's with the Vert and Horizan knobs to tune in the picture but those of us that have new t.v's can't so if you use a pal type game on your system and t.v. it will look all fuzzy.

quote:

Originally posted by ATARIPITBULL:

Some people here say that they can play pal type games on their systems because they have older T.V's with the Vert and Horizan knobs to tune in the picture but those of us that have new t.v's can't so if you use a pal type game on your system and t.v. it will look all fuzzy.

Using a VCR tuner might also help.

So are you saying that if I use my VCR as a tuner than I might be able to start adding PAL games to my collection, Holy shi man than that would mean that I can start making my collection bigger with PAL games. Thanks Thomas, I think I will buy a PAL game and see if it works.

quote:

Originally posted by ATARIPITBULL:

So are you saying that if I use my VCR as a tuner than I might be able to start adding PAL games to my collection,

Well, it works for me the other way around. Read the manual of your VCR. Most modern VCRs over here (in PAL country) can play both standards.

quote:

Holy shi man than that would mean that I can start making my collection bigger with PAL games. Thanks Thomas, I think I will buy a PAL game and see if it works.

Be warned! AFAIK, there are existing much more PAL cart variations than for NTSC.

congratulation!

asterix and obelix are two european comic stars, pretty underrated in usa. i guess marvel and walt disney did not leave them any room to breathe.

so the atari games were initially planned for european distribution. while obelix was published (just as silver label in small quantity) in the mid-eighties in usa, asterix didn't even make it to the us market. atari decided to change the graphics and released it as TAZ. they're exactly the same games.

with a little difference .... instead of getting more time, in the TAZ-version you get more burgers (and become fatter?)

obelix ntsc has fetched ebay-prices between 50$ to 200$US, while the pal-version usually end between 15$ to 40$, and tends to be cheaper and cheaper ...

greetings

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: jahfish ]

quote:

Originally posted by jahfish:

asterix didn't even make it to the us market. atari decided to change the graphics and released it as TAZ. they're exactly the same games.

Are you sure it happened in this sequence? I always figured Taz was first and they just made an easy adaption for the Euro market. Not based on any facts though, just a guess of mine.

Cheers,

Marco