IGNORED

Atari 5200 128-in-1 USB Flash Cart Now Available!

classics

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
XAGON was released by the Australian user group MACE.

I dont think it was commercial.

Steve

It wasn't commercial. It was written by a good friend, David Pentecost, at the same time I was writing Qb for the same platform. That was around 1983. We released them together to MACE to, get this, a standing ovation from the people at the meet. That was a buzz! Anyway, I'll let David know his XAGON has a new life; he'll be amused!

Cheers

A

• 1 month later...

3D Tic Tac Toe

Abracadabra

Archon

Atlantis

Attack of the Mutant Camels

Batty Builders

BC's Quest for Tires

Boulder Dask

Buried Bucks

Captain Beeble

Caverns of Mars

Chess

Chicken

Claim Jumper

Clowns & Balloons

Cosmi 2-in-1

Crossfire

Crystal Castles

Demon Attack

Desmonds Dungeon

Diamond Mine

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr

Fast Eddie

Gateway to Apshai

Ixion

Jawbreaker

Jumpman Jr

K-Star Patrol

Mr Cool

MULE

O'Riley's Mine

Pacific Coast Hwy

Pastfinder

Preppie

Raster Music Tracker

Satans Hollow

Shamus

Spy Hunter

Superfly

Tapper

Turmoil

Up'n Down

Worm War I

Xagon

So, did anyone ever find a source on these ROM images? I've googled for quite a few of them and checked out all of the usual sites, and had no luck.

Mine is on the way. It was about $25 LESS than my CC2.

You could always wait until one of the Sean Kelly dip-switch multicarts becomes available (rumor has it that there may be one becoming available any time now... :D

They're less expensive than the USB 128-in-1.

Or you could buy one of the preprogrammed 128-in-1 multicarts. I think classics was selling them for around $100.

But yeah, it is totally worth it. Someone figured out that if you put every ROM image available on a CC2, it would translate to paying $.02 per title (if you had bought those same images as physical carts).

The 5200 library isn't as large.. but it would still cost you a lot more (probably be impossible) to put together a COMPLETE library of actual carts than it would cost to buy one Multicart.

Mine is on the way. It was about $25 LESS than my CC2.

You could always wait until one of the Sean Kelly dip-switch multicarts becomes available (rumor has it that there may be one becoming available any time now... :D

They're less expensive than the USB 128-in-1.

Or you could buy one of the preprogrammed 128-in-1 multicarts. I think classics was selling them for around $100.

But yeah, it is totally worth it. Someone figured out that if you put every ROM image available on a CC2, it would translate to paying $.02 per title (if you had bought those same images as physical carts).

The 5200 library isn't as large.. but it would still cost you a lot more (probably be impossible) to put together a COMPLETE library of actual carts than it would cost to buy one Multicart.

Yeah, I guess it would be worth it for the games that are only availablre as ROMS like Tempest as I have always wanted to Play that for the 5200. When I was a kid I was so pissed when that game didn't release on the 5200 and 7800! I have alwatys been a Tempest Nut, it's just my thing, I guess!

Received mine today. Super fast shipping, and "Classics" is GREAT to deal with. Very responsive and customer oriented.

The product is great. Very professionally produced, easy to install and configure. Frankly, the CC2 is not a REAL difficult product to work with and configure, but the Atarimax USB cart simply buries it in ease-of-operation. Which isn't to say that it is necessarily a better or more powerful product. Both multicarts have their unique features and strong suits. This one is just a real slam dunk to set up. It is literally drag-and-drop operation to add rom images. In a side by side comparisson the unlimited expansion potential via MMC of the CC2 is a feature I wish the AtariMax cart had, although it is probably unnecessary (although I assume there are probably more than 128 different ROM images out there, and with 8-bit conversions coming along, the potential is huge). But, the fact that the Atarimax cart is ready to go, out of the box, without anything extra, is nice, too. Additionally, pulling the card from the slot, plugging it into a PC, updating ROM images then putting it back in the CC2 is slightly unnerving to me, and just not real convienient. The Atarimax cart, you just plug into your USB, it detects it, and you drag and drop the ROM images you want over, or delete the ones you don't want from a nice GUI list. Clearly, in an ideal world, both carts would have the best features of the other for their respective consoles. One thing I quickly realized I missed was the option to have game instructions on the cart in an easy-to-load format, like the CC2 provides for. But overall, just minor quibbles.

I've got 117 of the 128 slots filled already. I haven't had a chance to test them all yet. But so far, everything I've tried to load has loaded and seems to run right except the Apshi conversion, and I'm crossing my fingers that I was just misunderstanding the user interface for that.

Shipping was so fast, that it actually arrived early today and sat out on my porch for quite awhile. We had a phone book that was delivered a couple of days ago that I haven't gotten around to moving in to the house. Much earlier today, I went out for a smoke, and noticed the phone book had been moved. I thought it was strange, but finished my smoke and went back inside. Later that evening, I checked for mail, and when there was nothing in the mailbox, it occured to me to check on the porch... I looked at the phone book and noticed it was propped up with something under it. Was the package for my cart. Heh. I was so ticked that I could have been playing with it for hours and it was just sitting right there on my porch. :)

And mostly, it is just a blast to have titles that I otherwise would not be able to play on original hardware. Honestly, since my CC2 arrived, I haven't been logging much 5200 time, because the dip-switch Sean Kelly cart is just a pain to change between games. I've got a feeling that the arrival of this is going to make the 7800 take a back seat for awhile. Clearly the 5200 library can't compete with the sheer number of 2600/7800 titles available, but there are SO many good games on the 5200. The 5200 arcade ports and conversions are really neat, too. Donkey Kong is another example where the interpetation is fairly radically different than on any other console I've played, but in a way that is actually refreshing and challenging. Rather than trying to force the 5200 to do an Arcade Perfect Donkey Kong, it looks like they tried to make a Donkey Kong that was well suited to the particular hardware of the Atari 8-Bits. Being able to enjoy this on a real 5200 hooked up to a real TV is priceless. I'd definetly suggest anyone who considers themselves a gamer and a 5200 fan to pick one of these up. It is definetly worth the cash.

One thing I notice about 5200 games, and it really contrasts with the 7800, is that the games seem REAL fast. Frogger and Donkey Kong will be my two examples. The tempo, rythmn and speed of the game are just "up a notch" from anything else, even the MAME arcade versions, really. Everything has a very hectic, intense feeling to it. I think this is part of my perception that the 5200 is really a superior machine to the 7800. It seems like it can move more things, more rapidly, than the 7800. In this sense, my complaints about the 7800 games being unexciting and slow paced may be wrong. It could simply be that standing next to the 5200, most other consoles seem a bit leisurely.

So, my ROM image of BC's Quest For Tires doesn't work. I got it here, downloaded from the forums. It works OK in emulation, but on the 5200, it loads the title screen, then just goes black.

So, my ROM image of BC's Quest For Tires doesn't work. I got it here, downloaded from the forums. It works OK in emulation, but on the 5200, it loads the title screen, then just goes black.

Works fine on my 5200 though I am using my own cart, not a 128-in-1 USB Cart.

-Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

You're going to have a blast. If you just ordered it, you'll be blown away by how quickly it gets there, and "Classics" is great about supporting his products. Enjoy yourself.

I liked mine so much, I made myself PacManPlus's RSI/5200 joystick conversion just so that I could enjoy those games that aren't so much fun with the stock 5200 stick.