IGNORED

SupraDrive internals

I think different Supra drives came with different controller/interface. I don't know for sure exactly which models have which interface.

Btw, there is no such thing as SCSI vs. RLL. They refer to two different things and are not opposed. One is the external (to the host) interface, the other is the internal encoding and modulation. You can have a SCSI and RLL disk (as is the case of most original ST SCSI drives).

It is RLL vs. MFM , and SCSI vs. ST506 (well, it was at that time).

It is RLL vs. MFM , and SCSI vs. ST506 (well, it was at that time).

942857[/snapback]

I was not trying to compare the 2 interfaces. I just needed to know what type of internal drive it was to determine if I could upgrade it with a more current drive. Are they easily upgradeable?

I was not trying to compare the 2 interfaces.  I just needed to know what type of internal drive it was to determine if I could upgrade it with a more current drive.  Are they easily upgradeable?

I see, so the question is if they are SCSI (not so difficult to upgrade) or ST506 (forget it).

I don’t have a Supra hard disk or manuals, but I have the Supra Hard Disk Utilities floppy. A couple of readme files on the floppy suggest that all Supra hard disks are SCSI. It doesn’t clearly say so, but it describes some issues about SCSI as if were generic for all Supra drives.

If so then it won’t be too difficult to upgrade. You may face two minor problems with a modern SCSI disk (wide vs. narrow and parity), but they are solvable issues.