IGNORED

Playing Atari on a flat TV screen

pumbaaj

I have played 2600 on my HDTV through emulation. TV is projector based, no plasma or lcd. Connection was made through S-VHS. Emu's resolution was set at 640 by 480. Stella has a command switch that lets you set the aspect ratio. It proved very useful in achieving an image that looked big but not stretched. Later I had the chance to test it with a video card capable of HDTV output. On both cases image looked great (latter looking sharper and clearer). I fiddled with different modes (480p, 720p, 1080i) and all looked great. Frankly I didn't see that much of a difference at higher HDTV modes. Maybe it's just me but I think 480 is already way more than enough for displaying atari games.

If you have a problem with the bars (I don't know why you would, but some people are strange) you can watch it in 16:9 mode, but the image will be streched out horozontally. :)

943542[/snapback]

I have a problem with the bars as it caused burn-in on the screen of my 55" Samsung projection TV. I can't say this was from the Atari, as I had it set for widescreen when I plugged my 2600 in (I love the widescreen "stretch" effect for Megamania- even better when it's set to "panorama"- it gives you kind of a wraparound effect). The burn in was most likely from using my digital cablebox, which automatically shows 4:3 programming with the black bars on the sides, and widescreen broadcasts without the bars. Too much programming is still in 4:3 pan and scan format. :sad: