IGNORED

Question for Curt

Hi there!

Who did he ask?  And when did he ask?

Me amongst others. I think almost a year ago.

If he had asked me, I would have said yes.  I imagine that others would too, if they had just been asked.

It's easy to say "I could've done that better" now after seeing the crap the other programmers delivered. Yes, I could've done that better.

But back then the question was not "Can you do it better?", but "Can you do XXX in 6-8 weeks?".

When for example being asked "Can you hack Asteroids into Asteroids Deluxe in 6-8 weeks?", I answered like: A) That requires no hack but a total rewrite with a different engine approach and B) 6-8 weeks? Are you nuts?!?

Or "Can you port Adventure II 6-8 weeks?"... sure... the 5200 project is only a 3 people team working on it for like 4 years... of course I can port that the next weekend before breakfast... anything else while I'm at it? :lol:

Given a reasonable time-frame like porting Lunar Lander in 6 months - I'd have done it!

I know I'm a chicken here, seeing how a pro like Todd Frye easily did Pac-Man in 6 weeks. Only excuse I have, is that for him it was a fulltime job while I'd have done it in my spare time...

Greetings,

Manuel

Me amongst others. I think almost a year ago.

The first mail I got is from 12/28/2004. But then we didn't talk about new games. New games where mentioned first in a mail from 01/17/2005.

But back then the question was not "Can you do it better?", but "Can you do XXX in 6-8 weeks?".

Exactly.

And for also pretty small money.

Exactly.

They should have asked IBP! :lol:

Last night I stayed up until 1am hacking a CD drive into the atari, it was really difficult - I had to make a custom cart with a bios, Jeeze that bios was hard, took me over 2 hours to get it working.

But anyway, I will ship the game for $25, or $35 including CD drive, piggy-back CD bios cart and controllor.

Co-driver speech is almost implemented now, I've got the English track working ok and am working on squeezing German, Japanese and North Carolinan into a 10 byte slot.

I need some help with the volumetric fog routines. Mindfield, can you post some code?

:rolling:

More seriously,

And for also pretty small money.

969264[/snapback]

Apparently, you get what you pay for. :roll:

I'll tell you, I was extremely excited about the FB2 before its launch, mostly for the new games - since those appear to be mostly pretty weak and/or unplayable, it has dropped way down on my shopping list. The reported hardware problems haven't helped either. Right now pretty much my only motivation for buying one would be for the new 'sticks.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Then the hidden paddle games to allow gamers to enjoy some of the best paddle games while not requiring the console cost to rise due to the inclusion of paddle controllers, but instead to allow those with paddles or willing to purchase them on their own to find the games and play them.

Lastly, to minimize overlap with the FB1 games listing.

944163[/snapback]

Hmm, wouldnt it have been an opportunity to sell new paddles? I know the people here will have no problems fiinding an old one, but it might have gotten people to buy new paddle that could automaticly activate those hidden roms.

BTW, Great product. I am waiting for FB3.......

....a pain in the ass thing with the included paddle games are, you need the sticks plugged in, select the game, the players, then swap to paddles and carry on.  Won't affect a modded FB3, but kind of a pain.  Still fun.

972397[/snapback]

I am just using the sears araced II controllers & havent had to remove the sticks. Do you need to do that before playing pong or is that just for the hidden games :?