IGNORED

Using 7800 graphic converter

DracIsBack

I just ran a digital picture through the 7800 graphics conversion program. Does this utility create a self-running file around the picture (no 7800 here to test this on) or do you also have to write code to get the picture to display?

947650[/snapback]

No the tool isn't able to create self running code.

Overall it's more a developer tools than an easy to use picture converter.

Of course you can take the "haunted" source as template you just have to replace the gfx binary and change the color palette.

The only thing that I am wonder about is the size of the binary 96kb is far to big for a picture the normal size for an 160x4 converted picture is 16kb.

I just ran a digital picture through the 7800 graphics conversion program. Does this utility create a self-running file around the picture (no 7800 here to test this on) or do you also have to write code to get the picture to display?

947650[/snapback]

Of course you can take the "haunted" source as template you just have to replace the gfx binary and change the color palette.

The only thing that I am wonder about is the size of the binary 96kb is far to big for a picture the normal size for an 160x4 converted picture is 16kb.

947703[/snapback]

Not quite sure of the size. I was actually trying to see if the 7800 could reproduce (crudely) a digital picture. So I took a digital photo of my dog, turned it to greyscale, reduced the colours and adjusted it to the resolution demanded.

7800 developers didn't really have the luxery of tools like Adobe Photoshop or Corel Paint Shop Pro back then so I was just curious how well such a beast would appear.

947650[/snapback]

947703[/snapback]

Not quite sure of the size. I was actually trying to see if the 7800 could reproduce (crudely) a digital picture. So I took a digital photo of my dog, turned it to greyscale, reduced the colours and adjusted it to the resolution demanded.

7800 developers didn't really have the luxery of tools like Adobe Photoshop or Corel Paint Shop Pro back then so I was just curious how well such a beast would appear.

951171[/snapback]

Sounds intresting, do you have a picture? I'd love to see how it looks!

Thanks!!

I made an sample picture of a dog me and my girlfriend sometimes take care of.

The archive contains pictures of every necessary step, the source code and of course the bin/a78 files.

First I took a picture with a size of 320x200 than I resized the image width (/2) and reduced the number of colors.

The result was converted by 78gfxconv.

For your own image you just have to replace the "beropic.bin" generated by the tool with your own image and adjust the color palette.

I just tested it on Prosystem Emu the colors may look different on a real 7800 (well I am quite sure the look different...)

bero.zip

post-3747-1130178364_thumb.png

post-3747-1130178375_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
Same in black & white.

953542[/snapback]

Impressive work!

I hope a lot of developers use that tool.

BTW, does it support 320 X 200 resolution?

If not, what resolution were those screen grabs??

959545[/snapback]

The pictures are in 160x mode.

Mode 320 is not directly supported for pictures but you could "assemble" a picture in that mode.

It's just a little bit more complicated.

• 2 weeks later...
Same in black & white.

953542[/snapback]

Impressive work!

I hope a lot of developers use that tool.

BTW, does it support 320 X 200 resolution?

If not, what resolution were those screen grabs??

959545[/snapback]

The pictures are in 160x mode.

Mode 320 is not directly supported for pictures but you could "assemble" a picture in that mode.

It's just a little bit more complicated.

961818[/snapback]

Is it worth the effort to do, or does it eat the system resources too much?

ALSO- Which games are in 320 X 200 (Mode 320!), I looked in the screedshot page, and they all looked 160!

Is it worth the effort to do, or does it eat the system resources too much?

ALSO- Which games are in 320 X 200 (Mode 320!), I looked in the screedshot page, and they all looked 160!

968010[/snapback]

Well it depends of what you wanna do.

Of course it is possible to use 320 mode but you have to bother with some restrictions and less colors.

As far as I know there are only 3 (with Combat maybe 4) games that use 320 Mode: Space War, Tubes and Frogger.

For pictures/titlescreens 160 mode is imho better in most cases.

• 6 months later...
Do these BIN's work on real hardware? I can't seem to get them to boot for the life of me. The 16k BW BIN or the 32k color BIN.

I got the dog pic to work on my 7800. I'll look later to see what files I used with it.

Allan

Do these BIN's work on real hardware? I can't seem to get them to boot for the life of me. The 16k BW BIN or the 32k color BIN.

I got the dog pic to work on my 7800. I'll look later to see what files I used with it.

Allan

That would be good because I found out the pics are not "signing" correctly and that is why they wont run. I would really like to know who you got them to work as is cause I had to get help from Mitch to properly sign the pic for me. I really want to get the hanfg of this tool as I want to make photo carts for myself of my own personal images.

Allan

That would be good because I found out the pics are not "signing" correctly and that is why they wont run. I would really like to know who you got them to work as is cause I had to get help from Mitch to properly sign the pic for me. I really want to get the hang of this tool as I want to make photo carts for myself of my own personal images.

I'm guessing he used either used a CC2 with the 78Quick startup option or is using a 7800 that doesn't have the standard NTSC BIOS.

Mitch

Allan

That would be good because I found out the pics are not "signing" correctly and that is why they wont run. I would really like to know who you got them to work as is cause I had to get help from Mitch to properly sign the pic for me. I really want to get the hang of this tool as I want to make photo carts for myself of my own personal images.

I'm guessing he used either used a CC2 with the 78Quick startup option or is using a 7800 that doesn't have the standard NTSC BIOS.

Mitch

Opps, I forgot. Yes, I used my CC2. Here's the line.

Bero - dog pic -7800 bero bero 7800_32K 78QUICK

Allan

Allan

That would be good because I found out the pics are not "signing" correctly and that is why they wont run. I would really like to know who you got them to work as is cause I had to get help from Mitch to properly sign the pic for me. I really want to get the hanfg of this tool as I want to make photo carts for myself of my own personal images.

Sorry, I can't help you with getting the files signed. I've always just been using my CC2.

Allan

Allan

This utility should do the trick

http://atarihq.com/danb/files/a78sign.zip

-Jeff

Allan

This utility should do the trick

http://atarihq.com/danb/files/a78sign.zip

-Jeff

Yes, but only if you fix the bug in the source code first. (or manually patch the bin)

Mitch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Of course it is possible to use 320 mode but you have to bother with some restrictions and less colors.

As far as I know there are only 3 (with Combat maybe 4) games that use 320 Mode: Space War, Tubes and Frogger.

For pictures/titlescreens 160 mode is imho better in most cases.

I think One-on-One Basketball uses a 320 mode as well. ;)

• 8 years later...