IGNORED

What's this item at Target?

SomeGuyWithDSL

Yeah, Target is the last retailer I thought I'd see something like that.

"Full size" could mean cabaret version. They were about 5' tall.

The top half of the ms pac-man is kinda cool. Looks like the statue of liberty in planet of the apes.

I'm contemplating building something inside of a nice coffee table where the lid flips around and the controls are then sticking up. It won't look like a game machine when the lid is closed. After all, When analog TV goes off the air, I will have a nice 40" Mitsubishi CRT just sitting there waiting for some input. Might as well be games.

I really would like to LOVE this machine..but it's pricey, and really, how good can it be if they use cheapo components?..no thanks.

Plus, you're trying to get all sorts of games which just weren't meant to be in one machine anyway..perhaps, a homebuild with ALL the vector games, complete with proper controls (who wants to play asteroids with a joystick!?!)...and the raster games to their own, and so on.

The MAME stuff is ok, but not the greatest either, due to buggy gear. I hate to say it, but unless they were to somehow come up with cheap redesigns of original equipment (and by cheap, I don't mean bargain basement, I mean around a grand) then I'll look into it.

I'm sure it will eventually happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled across this at Target. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

It is a standup cabinet and it includes several Midway classics including Defender, Stargate, Joust, Robotron, Timber, Wizard Of Wor, Bubbles, Splat, Rampage, Satan's Hollow, Root Beer Tapper.

The unit seemed pretty cheaply built, comes with a 14" monitor, and the controls did not seem to be off the greatest quality. The thing retails for $500.

I only had a chance to play robotron and it seemed pretty true, but the 14" monitor is tiny and I could not figure out how to turn the volume up so I have no clue how good the sound is.

Chances are one could probably build a much better quality MAME cabinet. Anyways I'm kinda curious as to what is inside this thing.

So anyone see this yet?

post-3211-1132345316_thumb.jpg

Hi Shannon, I know they were talking about that cabinet over here :)

The cabinet comes with a 13" color TV set it in, you plug your game console into the AV ports on the TV and select input to select the AV jacks.

The whole thing is a big smoke and mirrors for what is really an overpriced piece of junk:

Cabinet is 1/2" plywood with rounded edges

Controllers are the same low quality Namco 5in1 junk

Games are re-writes on a Genesis on a Chip

Video is from a 13" TV set.

Not anywhere near something that should be called an arcade game.    You can do something like this yourself for about $250-$300 using your own console and using REAL arcade controls.

Curt

Is that the same machine as what Curt is talking about ?

Hi Shannon,  I know they were talking about that cabinet over here  :)   

The cabinet comes with a 13" color TV set it in, you plug your game console into the AV ports on the TV and select input to select the AV jacks.

The whole thing is a big smoke and mirrors for what is really an overpriced piece of junk:

Cabinet is 1/2" plywood with rounded edges

Controllers are the same low quality Namco 5in1 junk

Games are re-writes on a Genesis on a Chip

Video is from a 13" TV set.

Not anywhere near something that should be called an arcade game.    You can do something like this yourself for about $250-$300 using your own console and using REAL arcade controls.

Curt

Is that the same machine as what Curt is talking about ?

968113[/snapback]

The same one.

Yeah I'll get one when they go on clearance for like $100.

EDIT: Curt provided some more information as I was posting. Thanks!

Cool find!  My googlefu turned up this

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/

950470[/snapback]

Nice. The specific product page is here. The cabinets are apparently also expandable with Arcade Legends Add-On Game Packs. Still no "real" info on actual system hardware, etc.

It's a curious selection of games, at least. Sounds like licensing success has been hit-or-miss, but they're in good with Atari, Capcom, and Ultracade. From the site:

* Full Size or Tabletop Cabinet with 25" Wells Gardner Color Monitor

* Real Arcade Controls Including Two Joysticks, 3" Trackball and Buttons

* Attractive and Easy Selection Interface

Legendary arcade games, authentic in every detail. Includes:

* Asteroids ® (Atari 1979)

* Asteroids Deluxe ® (Atari 1980)

* Battlezone ® (Atari 1980)

* Berzerk ® (Stern 1980)

* Black Widow TM (Atari 1982)

* Bombjack Twin [ultracade Technologies 2003(NMK 1993)]

* Centipede ® (Atari 1980)

* Crystal Castles TM (Atari 1983)

* Dark Stalkers TM (Capcom 1994)

* Ghosts ‘N Goblins TM (Capcom 1985)

Arcade Legends

* Gravitar TM (Atari 1982)

* Gunsmoke TM (Capcom 1985)

* Ladybug TM Ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1981)

* Liberator TM (Atari 1982)

* Lunar Lander TM (Atari 1979)

* Major Havoc TM (Atari 1983)

* Mega Man TM (Capcom 1995)

* Millipede TM (Atari 1982)

* Missile Command ® (Atari 1980)

* Mr. Do! TM [ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1982)]

* Mr. Do!’s Castle TM [ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1983)]

* Mr. Do!’s Wild Ride TM [ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1984)]

* Penguin Wars TM [ultracade Technologies (UPL 1984)]

* Pinball Action TM (Tehkan 1985)

* Pinbo TM (Jaleco 1984)

* Red Baron TM (Atari 1980)

* Space Duel TM (Atari 1982)

* Street Fighter II TM (Capcom 1991)

* Speedball TM (Tecfri 1987)

* Strider TM (Capcom 1989)

* Super Breakout TM (Atari 1978)

* Super Dodge Ball TM [ultracade Technologies 2003 (Technos 1987)]

* Tempest TM (Atari 1980)

* Warlords TM (Atari 1980)

* 1942 TM (Capcom 1984)

950484[/snapback]

First of all, I LOVE the Arcade Legends artwork and the custom menu front end (although if you have alot of games on there, it might take awhile to rotate through all the marquees). However game play is everything, and there's just something about the emulation or game play on Arcade Legends that just doesn't "feel" right. Maybe I'm just used to the controls on the original machines, but I can't seem to do nearly as well playing some of the games I tried on the AL machine as when I'm playing on the original cabinet. Last week I took my family to a local indoor waterpark, and in the arcade, they had an Arcade Legends machine, I had to try it out, since it had Thief on it (one of my all-time favorites) I have the original Thief cabinet in my game room, so I'm familiar with the game play and I had a hard time controlling my car using the AL controllers. Centipede and Millipede don't seem as smooth, either. Don't get me wrong- I love the packaging, and if the price was right, would be tempted in getting it, but like everyone said, MAME does a better job, for less money.

Yeah I saw one of these over the weekend, and wasn't too impressed. The cabinet seemed kind of shabby and the control panel felt like they had dissasembled a Jakks x-in-1 stick and tried to remake it into an arcade layout. You could make a real MAME cab for less that would play and look much better.

The HD is formatted and encrypted very heavily, so don't think you'll be sneaking around in there to do your own adding of games, of course you could just zap the whole HD and put on MAME and your own games if you wanted and do you own custom tweaked front end.

where is the key? in the motherboard bios?

...I finally saw one today while Christmas shopping at Target,...it looks fine, just a little...thin. The board is pretty solid (I shook it around when no one was around), and the joysticks were solid, but the buttons...a little mushy.

....not worth the price, but if it ever goes on clearence, the wife said I can get one!!

minorleagueguy

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=b...asin=B000AQHKR0

This one's also available at Target, and it's only $499. It's got a good selection of games, too.

950665[/snapback]

Damn - $500 That is cheap! :-o

That screen setup looks really weird ass though. I wonder what the cab dimensions are?

950671[/snapback]

i've seen this one, a lot of old midway games in a pressboard cab that has been stapled together. felt real flimsy when I played it.

Edited by raskar42

That $3K cocktail would be nice if it weren't so gaudy... something like this would be much more "acceptable" for a wider # of people -

http://www.arcadedepot.com/

951476[/snapback]

I've dealt heavily with them - you won't find nicer people and people who stand behind their products more.

As a matter of fact, I've been working with them on a different level for the past year - Arcade Depot and I are very close to selling kits for countertop cabs that look very close to this, except no copyrighted side art (of course) and it will have an LCD screen instead of a CRT.

:-D

952900[/snapback]

Very awesome for people like me who are absolutley horrible with a hammer and a saw!