IGNORED

FB2 first thoughts...

Now that I FINALLY have one, I have to share my thoughts from my first experience playing it.

The first game I tried was Asteroids Deluxe. Seemed a bit... I dunno... "skitchy"... but I decided to put it aside and go for my favorite... Yars' Revenge!

Loaded it up... ahhhh, sweet! This is the real deal. Thanks Curt (et al)! The best I have ever seen Yars' Revenge (since I've been afraid to try the A/V mod)! 100% the real thing. Worlds away from the version on the original Flashback.

And, the coup de grace: On the first swirl attack, I went for the good ol' HSWWSH. Ahhhhh....

Unfortunately, then my 2 1/2 year old came in and tearfully announced that this game was too scary. So I tried Pitfall! (another one that looks great and feels right), which he also deemed to be too scary. So then it was on to Adventure II. I am really excited about this one. It doesn't bother me that the square doesn't match the color of the playfield. Sequels SHOULD have subtle differences from their originals.

Still a lot to explore, but so far I am VERY happy with this! :) (Now I might as well pack the original Flashback away in the basement for good.)

It doesn't bother me that the square doesn't match the color of the playfield.  Sequels SHOULD have subtle differences from their originals.

It's not just the color, it's that it's no longer using the ball for the square.

If the game doesn't use the ball at all then I would expect there to be more flicker than the original Adventure.

Where normally you could be in a room with, let's say, an arrow and a dragon with no flicker, this would count as two instances of P0 or P1 (whichever the game is using for the square) and flickering will start.

That is assuming no intelligent flicker is being employed.

What has your experience been with the flicker?

If the game doesn't use the ball at all then I would expect there to be more flicker than the original Adventure.

950581[/snapback]

The game uses missile 0 instead of the Ball. The effect of this is that the player color is sometimes unpredictable (IMHO the pre-kernel should have used a default other than black) but the ball can be used to 'cleanly' fill in the left- or right-side wall.

So I tried Pitfall! (another one that looks great and feels right), which he also deemed to be too scary.  So then it was on to Adventure II.

950579[/snapback]

IMHO, the dragons in Adventure and its sequels are the scariest monsters in any Atari game. They may not look like dragons, but they're mean.

So I tried Pitfall! (another one that looks great and feels right), which he also deemed to be too scary.  So then it was on to Adventure II.

950579[/snapback]

IMHO, the dragons in Adventure and its sequels are the scariest monsters in any Atari game. They may not look like dragons, but they're mean.

950584[/snapback]

You should see em when they are on a 65" screen. scary!

:skull:

... ;)

Edited by Lord Helmet

Unfortunately, then my 2 1/2 year old came in and tearfully announced that this game was too scary.  So I tried Pitfall! (another one that looks great and feels right), which he also deemed to be too scary.

Your kid is in for a rough life.

951591[/snapback]

:lol:

I think he was just a little touchy that day. He had just watched a scary TV show and so everything was scary to him.