IGNORED

Atari ABC laptop help

else

Okay, this isn't an ST/TT question but it seems like the most relevant group....

I have an Atari ABC laptop that I purchased off eBay a while ago. I'd like to get it going. It powers on okay, but the hard drive appears to be empty (it sounds like it is working okay, but I can't say for sure). So my question is what can I realistically do with this thing....

What OS can I hope to run on it -- Windows 95? Windows 98?

Can an external CDROM drive be connected to it? If so, what type/kind should I look for? And if so, what version of Windows will I need to use a CDROM?

Is there any hope of getting it on the net? I don't see any PCMCIA slots, an ethernet port, or a modem port on it....

I'm primarily a Mac user (though I do use a windows machine for work), so any help at all is appreciated....

With a 386SX you may be better off setting up Linux on it as you'll get far better performance from it. Win 3.1/DOS 7 is going to be the other route.... or Win95 (though Win95 is gonna be rough on a 4MB system)

It really all boils down to what you want to do with it.

Curt

Okay, this isn't an ST/TT question but it seems like the most relevant group....

I have an Atari ABC laptop that I purchased off eBay a while ago.  I'd like to get it going.  It powers on okay, but the hard drive appears to be empty (it sounds like it is working okay, but I can't say for sure).  So my question is what can I realistically do with this thing....

What OS can I hope to run on it -- Windows 95?  Windows 98?

Can an external CDROM drive be connected to it?  If so, what type/kind should I look for?  And if so, what version of Windows will I need to use a CDROM?

Is there any hope of getting it on the net?  I don't see any PCMCIA slots, an ethernet port, or a modem port on it....

I'm primarily a Mac user (though I do use a windows machine for work), so any help at all is appreciated....

951184[/snapback]

Not trying to do anything fancy with it, really. Just thought it would be neat to get it to do *something*. It sounds like it's more of a conversation piece though at this point so maybe it's not even worth my time trying.

It does seem odd to me that a laptop wouldn't have a modem, or at least an expansion slot for a modem. I guess that was the state of the world back then. It just seems like a very "closed" system when I look for expansion slots....

Edited by else

Ouch, a 386SX laptop! Would be difficult to do much with it. If it was it a desktop, you could at least use it for DOS gaming (yes, vintage computing is about PC and DOS as well).

It does seem odd to me that a laptop wouldn't have a modem, or at least an expansion slot for a modem.

It took quite some time until notebooks included an integrated modem. Modems at that time were too big and required too much power.

I don't think you will be able to connect a CD-ROM unless it has an external SCSI port. Software side that shouldn't be much of a problem. DOS 5 (and possibly earlier versions as well, don't remember for sure) included support for CD-ROM. Win 3 is DOS based, so it supports CD-ROM as well.

I agree that Win 3.1 and DOS, probably DOS 5, might be your best bet.

Thanks for the info. There is unfortunatley no SCSI port on it either....

I guess even if it did have a modem I still wouldn't have much use for it. I use broadband for everything these days anyhow!

Edited by else

My best recommendation would be to install OpenDOS with memory manager and himem installed and install GEM 3.1 onto it so it has a look & feel of an Atari ST. You could also get some of the lower end ST emulators to work on it or you could always run a DOS version of Atari 800 emulation or Atari 2600 emulation on it, make it fitting for an Atari product (actually the laptop is a rebadged Sotec laptop ;-)

Curt

Not trying to do anything fancy with it, really.  Just thought it would be neat to get it to do *something*.  It sounds like it's more of a conversation piece though at this point so maybe it's not even worth my time trying.

It does seem odd to me that a laptop wouldn't have a modem, or at least an expansion slot for a modem.  I guess that was the state of the world back then.  It just seems like a very "closed" system when I look for expansion slots....

951455[/snapback]

I think it might be possible to get this piece of hardware into your LAN and to use it on broadband.

There are pocket LAN adapters e.g. the Genius. I think there are drivers for different systems for those adapters that are connected to the printer port. Only problem might be that the printer port isn't full featured as on STs - I don't know if it is unfortunatly.

Edited by jens

My best recommendation would be to install OpenDOS with memory manager and himem installed and install GEM 3.1 onto it so it has a look & feel of an Atari ST.    You could also get some of the lower end ST emulators to work on it or you could always run a DOS version of Atari 800 emulation or Atari 2600 emulation on it, make it fitting for an Atari product (actually the laptop is a rebadged Sotec laptop ;-)

Curt

Not trying to do anything fancy with it, really.  Just thought it would be neat to get it to do *something*.  It sounds like it's more of a conversation piece though at this point so maybe it's not even worth my time trying.

It does seem odd to me that a laptop wouldn't have a modem, or at least an expansion slot for a modem.  I guess that was the state of the world back then.  It just seems like a very "closed" system when I look for expansion slots....

951455[/snapback]

951490[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice Curt. Haven't heard of OpenDOS before. Does anyone have a link to it? I tried searching for it, but I end up at the SCO website and can't find it there....

My best recommendation would be to install OpenDOS with memory manager and himem installed and install GEM 3.1 onto it so it has a look & feel of an Atari ST.    You could also get some of the lower end ST emulators to work on it or you could always run a DOS version of Atari 800 emulation or Atari 2600 emulation on it, make it fitting for an Atari product (actually the laptop is a rebadged Sotec laptop ;-)

Curt

951455[/snapback]

951490[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice Curt. Haven't heard of OpenDOS before. Does anyone have a link to it? I tried searching for it, but I end up at the SCO website and can't find it there....

951556[/snapback]

Okay, I think if have found a site for DR-DOS (which seems to be the same thing as OpenDOS). I'll give it a try later tonight.

My best recommendation would be to install OpenDOS with memory manager and himem installed and install GEM 3.1 onto it so it has a look & feel of an Atari ST.     You could also get some of the lower end ST emulators to work on it or you could always run a DOS version of Atari 800 emulation or Atari 2600 emulation on it, make it fitting for an Atari product (actually the laptop is a rebadged Sotec laptop ;-)

Curt

951455[/snapback]

951490[/snapback]

951556[/snapback]

Okay, I think if have found a site for DR-DOS (which seems to be the same thing as OpenDOS). I'll give it a try later tonight.

951567[/snapback]

If you are gonna go the Linux route, you can forget about having a GUI on a 386 :)

Well, I got DR-DOS installed on it last night and I got GEM and all the GEM Apps installed on it this morning. Pretty slick! The screen certainly is slow on it though -- your mouse basically disappears for a bit whenever you move it. Too bad the screen isn't color, but I know that's asking for too much....

I'm really not sure how useful GEM is anymore in 2005 (given the fact that I also have a pretty modern laptop), but it's nice to see this old Atari doing something!

Thanks for all the help!

Get a whole bunch of old-school disk based games to play on it.... 

That was my first thought as well. But that laptop probably doesn't have any sound (besides the PC speaker), does it? Some old DOS games make wonders with the PC speaker though.

952032[/snapback]

Well even then you can play some nice monochromatic games on it. I did so with my IBM 8088 back in the day with my oh'so'lovely green screen :)

PC Bert was one of them, I"m sure (Q*Bert) cool for the time... and some pinball games. You should check out www.the-underdogs.net (at least I think that's the link.. I"m at work so I'm not sure) so www.theunderdogs.net or www.the-underdogs.net and you can download a smackload of free games from "Way back when.." :)

What, no pictures? :)