IGNORED

Pac Man Fever

Keystone Kaper

Man, once I put some headphones on I can really tell the difference between the old and new versions. Laptop speakers don't do it justice. I thought the CD version were remastered, not remakes. I bought the CD at Walmart a while ago. The old versions are way better. Way more lively and way more energy.

Man, once I put some headphones on I can really tell the difference between the old and new versions. Laptop speakers don't do it justice. I thought the CD version were remastered, not remakes. I bought the CD at Walmart a while ago. The old versions are way better. Way more lively and way more energy.

Yep, better quality and pretty much perfect with the placement of the sounds and so on. The remade songs offend my ears.

Yep, better quality and pretty much perfect with the placement of the sounds and so on. The remade songs offend my ears.

so is the one i found at that website the new version...if it is can someone point me to the direction of the original version. thanks

so is the one i found at that website the new version...if it is can someone point me to the direction of the original version. thanks

if your talking about the ones on www.highscoresarcade.com those are the original verisons. The new versions, do sound decent though, they did a good job of redoing old songs, which is more than I could say for other artists.... Another thing I hate about the new versions is that the arcade samples they made are totally shite quality. Sounds like they recorded the samples from a $2 cassette recorder that has a super old, over recorder tape in it.

I have heard though, (can't remeber where) that they had a hell of a time finding the arcade machines, so most of the samples were created through MAME emulation. Fun fact of the day.

Do the donkey kong is a personal favorite.

Here are some differences between the two recordings...(from wikipedia)

In 1999 a re-recorded version of the album was released independently by Buckner and Garcia, released commercially through K-Tel in 2002. The re-release was anxiously awaited by fans of the original album. However, Buckner and Garcia could not obtain the rights to the original master from Columbia, so they were forced to recreate a lot of the sound effects either digitally, or musically. The result led to disappointment on the part of many fans, and began a widespread search for the original vinyl, now hard to find (though MP3s of the original songs are, perhaps ironically, easier to find than the remakes). Some of the changes that occurred between the original and the re-recorded version are as follows:

* The guitarist who reproduced the guitar solo in "Ode to a Centipede" could not keep up with the pace of the original guitarist, and subsequently "bailed out" of the solo towards the end until it became easier to play.

* In the original recording of "Hyperspace", the sound that followed singing of the word "Hyperspace" was a sample of the player shooting taken directly from an Asteroid machine. In the re-release, the sample was replaced with a guitarist sliding his fingers down the neck of the guitar to simulate the sound, and it is not quite as on key with the rest of the song as the original sample was.

* The original recording of "Mousetrap" contained samples from the Mouse Trap arcade game. No working Mouse Trap machine could be found in time for the re-recording, so recordings of actual cat, dog, and pigeon noises were used in place of the game samples.

* The original electric guitar used in "Goin' Berzerk" was replaced with a synthesizer.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

• 1 month later...

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever heard the song Dig-Dug by Digital Air? It was apparently Gary "Dream Weaver" Wright's attempt to jump on Buckner and Garcia's bandwagon. I'd love to find a digital copy of that. (I could, I suppose, buy the 45s I see advertised here and there, but then I'd have to also find an actual record player to listen to it on). :)

-DS-

• 1 year later...
Anyone with the original LP think they could do a nice hi-rez scan of the cover? The only one I can find online is the CD cover (and it's different). I'd scan mine, but we're moving and my LP is all packed up.

I have one, but my scanner is the normal kind that isn't much bigger than a piece of paper. If I tried to scan parts of it at a time, I'm sure the stitched together sections wouldn't match up correctly. Does anyone know how can you scan something big in with a scanner without having it look like a failed science experiment?

For some reason, I still have the entire thing in my collection of mp3s. :o

Thank god I am not the only one! :D

Me three!!! I made it a point to buy all Atari and a few other video game records.

:D :D :D

I've got the original album on my Ipod. I wish I had the original album cover in there too...it put in the CD version. I crank it up every now and then. :)

Here's an idea , has anyone just tried recreating the original album cover? There's not really a whole lot going on there besides a close-up photo and some text overlay.

Might even be a fun little project. Any takers?

Here's the beginning: The only difference is that I like the 'other frame' of the monster's skirt better (the ones with the points on the sides)... Yes, I'm insane :P

I just need to get the font for the title. I think the font used for 'Buckner & Garcia' should be easy enough to find...

Cool?

post-1787-1249141261_thumb.png

Here's the beginning: The only difference is that I like the 'other frame' of the monster's skirt better (the ones with the points on the sides)... Yes, I'm insane :P

I just need to get the font for the title. I think the font used for 'Buckner & Garcia' should be easy enough to find...

Cool?

Very cool indeed!

I'm still in the testing stages on mine , not to mention working on other projects ATM , but this is what I have so far. And yeah , I realize the screenshot is totally off from the original release. I plan to fix that when I can devote a little more time to the cover. :(

Click to view full size.

th_pmf_test.jpg

Showcase.

th_pmf_cd.jpg

As for the fonts , I haven't matched the Buckner&Garcia yet , but the title uses the Eurostile typeface. If you need help finding that let me know. ;)

Edited by ProperRogue

Thanks for the head start on the title font :)

The closest I could get to the font used for 'Buckner & Garcia' is "Clarendon".

So, to recap,

The font for the album title is "Eurostile-Black-DTC", and the font for the artist is "Clarendon".

*NOTE* - the Eurostile font does not do 'small caps' by default like it is used here. It had to be done manually by changing the size of the font for the first letter.

Now, if someone could add that 'raster screen scan' look like the original album cover had, we would be all set, although I may just use it as is.

(I know it was because they took a picture of the game screen - but I wanted it as sharp as possible).

:)

post-1787-1249156216_thumb.png

Edited by PacManPlus

Thanks for the head start on the title font :)

The closest I could get to the font used for 'Buckner & Garcia' is "Clarendon".

So, to recap,

The font for the album title is "Eurostile-Black-DTC", and the font for the artist is "Clarendon".

*NOTE* - the Eurostile font does not do 'small caps' by default like it is used here. It had to be done manually by changing the size of the font for the first letter.

Now, if someone could add that 'raster screen scan' look like the original album cover had, we would be all set, although I may just use it as is.

(I know it was because they took a picture of the game screen - but I wanted it as sharp as possible).

:)

post-1787-1249156216_thumb.png

^^^ That looks AWESOME!!

As for the font used in Buckner & Garcia , I matched it up to the AM Typewriter Medium font , but the letter R matches the AM Typewriter Condensed. Only the boot portion of the letter is different , but could easily be altered using the medium font with a little bit of clipping.

Bucker & Garcia font

Try the characters out in the above link , and see what you think looks best , including the ampersand.

EDIT: I actually have this font from the Adobe Font Folio(never even knew it), and the boot on the letter R appears just as it does on the album. So if you need it , just let me know.

Do you have any PS filters that could simulate a television effect? I know AlienSkin has one in the Xenofex family.

Edited by ProperRogue

Thanks!

The ampersand matches very well, and if it wasn't for that damn 'R' :x I don't know how to edit fonts, so I think we would have to 'overlook' the 'R' thing and use that one; it matches much better than what I found.

If you don't mind, yes I would like that font please (I searched - I have over 1000 fonts, but I don't have that one) :(

Duh! Just because I don't have a huge scanner doesn't mean some company doesn't! Does anyone know if places like Office Depot can make huge scans? I could take my record to some place like that and have the front, back, sleeve, and record itself scanned. :dunce:

Duh! Just because I don't have a huge scanner doesn't mean some company doesn't! Does anyone know if places like Office Depot can make huge scans? I could take my record to some place like that and have the front, back, sleeve, and record itself scanned. :dunce:

You'll probably find something like that at Kinkos if you have one in the area. I'm not sure about Staples or Office Depot for that large of an item.

I have the album upstairs, and a 10.2 megapixel digital camera. My album cover is in pretty good shape(IIRC)... gimme a little bit and I'll attach some pics.

Edit: Not as lucky as I thought.... the cover has suffered some mishapse, although it is intact. I'll need to get a tripod to be able to get decent pics. The insert with the patterns is in very good shape, but was printed on glossy paper, which makes it a royal pain to get a clear picture of.

Edited by [d2f]Iggy*SJB