IGNORED

Taito Legends

kevin242

Bionic Commando was definitely one of the best games made on the NES, but the arcade version was absolutely terrible.  Unless you can associate playing that game with a fond memory, I don't think you'll be able to change your mind on that one.

963672[/snapback]

And yeah, from what I hear the NES version of bionic commando is far better.

964076[/snapback]

I don't remember ever playing Bionic Commando at the arcades, but I must have at least seen it because I bought it for the NES back then knowing that it was based on the arcade game. I like that Atari 2600 Spiderman type of gameplay. It's like Spiderman with shooting.

My NES is put away, so I played it with an NES emulator and it is more fun without a doubt. We need a Nintendo collection. The best of the NES and SNES.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops, never got around to this thread again. I have an ancient (in Xbox years) modded Japanese launch unit, it never had a switch installed (which is fine since I don't care about Xbox Live). The game works fine in my non-modded Xbox.

It's annoying as I've run into a couple games lately that don't like my mod chip. And I'm not exactly skilled enough to pop the thing open and see what's going on and try to fix it. Guess I just live with 2 Xboxes hooked up with the inevitable "Uhhhh, why do you have both of these?" questions. ;)

Have not got this yet, but talk about classic gaming goodness.  All these collections for us classic gamers.

Justin42... Does the game still lock up if you "turn off" your chip?  If it does, chances are your chip is not the problem.

963128[/snapback]

Bionic Arcade would have been much better if it wasn't so stupidly difficult. The NES version had a lot more strategy. I still like the arcade version on PS2, and it's only the levels that are hard...I wrapped it the other day, and it has only like 4 or 5 levels, and the bosses are pathetic. Not terrible, but it ain't no Willow...which should have made that disc!

I think Arkanoid would have been great, so I hope it's on the next disc...but, without an analog spinner, I fear it's not the same and would be a lesson in close but no cigar....unless someone releases a spinner for the PS2, that is!

My brother picked up this disc a few days ago.

...and as I play endless games of Tube It, Super Qix, and the incarnations of Space Invaders...

...it strikes me like a bolt from the blue how right I was before concerning modern games: too much emphasis on eye candy--and too little on gameplay.

You'd think, what with the popularity of retro-gaming, that the big names in gamemaking today would figure out why their latest efforts consistently bomb so much.

Then again...maybe they know it all too well. After all, didn't Sony at first prohibit retro discs on the PlayStation?

(Okay, they had this bogus reason of "only games with finishes"...but, given the games they did approve for the PlayStation...and how awful most of them are compared to official Sony games...well, you make the connection. ;) )

Hey, let them crank out endless EA games and DoA clones and the like. Ain't my money they're getting; ain't my money they're wasting.

I was watching my son play a modern game just the other day (blinx 2) and he spent most of his time in the screens where you pick the characters skin color, clothes, head size, etc.

Couldn't help but wonder how much development time was wasted on this feature. I've seen it in alot of games as well. Point being of course that some developers seem to spend too much time on the wrong things.

It's cool to have features like that, but if it takes away from other areas that would extend actual gameplay then it is not worth it in my mind.

Of course, the scary thought is...

...that the character creation parts are the actual games and the rest is mindless eyecandy!

Seriously, I have to say that I like the older games that give you set characters and don't let you make your own. Face it: given a choice, would anyone have played some of those weird characters?

"Okay, you play a yellow ball...that wears make-up. And it eats!

No? hold on...

All right, you play an orange critter with a long snout and legs that hops around--and it cusses when it's caught!

No, not real cuss words! Target audience and all. What? Okay, give me a moment...

You play a fat little plumber in overalls who jumps around.

I am being serious! All right...

You play this yellow thing that looks like a staple that moves around the edge of a hole.

I am not drunk! --Wait, I have a few more...

You play the tongue of---I haven't even finished my description! ...okay, okay...

You play a paint roller!

No, it's a maze game. I am being quite serious! --I have a few more; hold on...

You play a clown who's good at frisbee!

...That wasn't very flattering. Fine, I have one more...

You play a chicken trying to cross the road.

--Hey, put me down!"

*pitchman tossed on backside out of office*

"I guess some people don't like characters with a little character. Good thing I didn't tell him about the chef who walks on his food..." :D

Can't say, haven't played th Xbox...

..I agree though, gameplay, like money, goes a LOT further when you DON'T have a lot of it!...don't you agree?...you got that last five bucks, you can make it go a loooong way....

...perhaps video gaming will become like boardgames....after 40 or 50 years, you'll have you classics, and that's it. Really, I see no reason to play the newer games. Some are fun, but they've become movies...something I thought would have been so awesome growing up in the 80's on games..but now we have it, and I think it's not so great. I still enjoy some gun games, some driving games, but really it's the gameplay that will keep you coming back. And video game consoles are seemingly aimed at a public who wants single player games that make it a you vs machine battle that, when finished, offers very little to offer replay value.

Metal Gear Solid, in fact...I recall when I got that for my PS in 98...how I loved it!...after I wrapped it I might have played it a few more times to get the invisi suit and the bandana, other than that, bored.

Why do I keep coming back to Ms Pacman and Kaboom?...no idea, really, but I can only say gameplay.

• 1 month later...