IGNORED

Got bored this weekend....

s0c7

... so I thought I'd experiment. Wanted to see if :

1) I could get something done in 2k

2) Some of the graphic tricks that I thought should work actually worked the way I thought they would. Sprite blending in particular may interest some of you.

post-6510-1130155232_thumb.jpg

Anyway, you are Dr. Fa........ uhmmm..... "superhero guy from Earth-2". ;) You must retrieve the 5 scrolls of Anubis. They are guarded by the Evil Eye. If you touch the eye you die. You only get 1 life. If you collect all 5 scrolls, you read the magic spell on them which kills the Evil Eye. Try to collect all 5 in the least amount of time (the score increments the whole time). Simple game.

*** EDIT *** Normally I remove old versions when I post new ones, but in this case I'm letting the 2k version stay. One note - if you look at the variable list at the top of the source, what 1 and 2 are for variable g should be reversed. d'oh.

Edited by s0c7

Anyway, you are Dr. Fa........ uhmmm..... "superhero guy from Earth-2".  ;)  You must retrieve the 5 scrolls of Anubis.  They are guarded by the Evil Eye.  If you touch the eye you die.  You only get 1 life.  If you collect all 5 scrolls, you read the magic spell on them which kills the Evil Eye.  Try to collect all 5 in the least amount of time (the score increments the whole time).  Simple game.

953410[/snapback]

Neat - a bit like a slow version of Solar Plexus :) I like the Cylon/Knightrider effect on the eye. Would it be possible to speed up the superhero as it is nearly impossible to get past the evil eye in the vertical direction? I'm not sure how much more you will be able to add to the game as you have used all the sprites - perhaps a PF maze?

Chris

Neat - a bit like a slow version of Solar Plexus :)  I like the Cylon/Knightrider effect on the eye.  Would it be possible to speed up the superhero as it is nearly impossible to get past the evil eye in the vertical direction?  I'm not sure how much more you will be able to add to the game as you have used all the sprites - perhaps a PF maze?

Chris

953424[/snapback]

Hmmmm..... I was worried it was too easy. I had to dumb the eye AI down compared to how I originally had it. Hint: Try going around the top of the eye.

But yeah, I should be able to alter the speed no problem.

If I leave it 2k, this is probably pretty much it (0 bytes free). If I bump it up to 4k I may put pyramids in as obstacles (Dr.Fate has a Egyptian mythology thing going, so that would sort of fit).

Hmmmm..... I was worried it was too easy.  I had to dumb the eye AI down compared to how I originally had it.  Hint: Try going around the top of the eye.

But yeah, I should be able to alter the speed no problem.

If I leave it 2k, this is probably pretty much it (0 bytes free).  If I bump it up to 4k I may put pyramids in as obstacles (Dr.Fate has a Egyptian mythology thing going, so that would sort of fit).

953442[/snapback]

How about changing the AI so that the eye will only move if it sees you moving, a bit like the eye of Sauron in LOTR? In other words, the eye will look in lots of different directions at random, and if it looks at you when you are moving then it will move towards you until you stop. This way you would have to creep carefully around the screen to get to the treasure. You could add a few obstacles (define using the PF) which you can hide behind. The speed of the eye could be increased over time to give a difficulty curve.

Chris

Since I'm going 4k, I guess I'll try the other thing I've been meaning to take a stab at - background music.  Got a few tunes in mind.  We'll see if I can get it to work.  Not promising anything.  I suck at music.  :P

953483[/snapback]

Music would be good. I'd agree with classical. Love the sprites.

Music would be good.  I'd agree with classical.  Love the sprites.

953815[/snapback]

Thanks. BTW - I like the drip effect in the new version of Ooze!

Plans for the future:

- Background music

- More interesting death animations

- Something with the playfield (still thinking about what I want to do)

- Improved AI for the eye (will have to wait until I figure out what I want to do with the playfield)

- Game title is going to be "Evil Eye"

Edited by s0c7

Small update. Free time is an increasingly foreign concept to me. :(

Anyway, once and only once per game you can now teleport (think hyperspace in Asteroids). The only check I make is to make sure you don't wind up back in the exact same spot. As such, you might land on the eye or a scroll. I've won the game by teleporting onto the last scroll. I tend to think that's how teleporting/hyperspace should work. Anybody feel differently?

I still have over 1k free and some ideas. I also need to tighten up what's here now a bit. Might take a while. Weekly updates are probably over.

• 3 years later...
WHat's this? Where did the bin go? Did this turn into the easter egg for Phantom/Pirate? Not much info, but it looks interesting. I'd like to try it.
Yeah. A variation of this turned into the EE game on Phantom II/Pirate. It had some neat effects (the eyes in the wall followed you around), but the gameplay just never clicked. I can't remember which version of bB we were on back then (.35 maybe - possibly earlier). I'm sure I have a copy of it in a folder somewhere, but it's not that interesting. Edited by s0c7