IGNORED

ABC To The VCS

• 2 weeks later...

I just started reading the book, great job! I noticed that Choplifter gets mentioned, Chapter 2 I think. Do you have any additional information about this title? I did a search in the Atari 2600 forum and saw there was a screen mockup in an old Atari Age magazine and the DP guide mentioned it was talked about at a CES. I'm curious if you ever got to see this one or if it was just a sales sheet?

There are several pirate Choplifters which are usually in reality Chopper Command by Activision but so far there has been no proof that the Atari project ever got of the drawing board ;)

The game was shown at CES; either Summer '83 or Winter '84.

Edited by rolenta

This looks great!  Are the pictures in color or B&W?

B&W. A sample chapter can be found on the Rolenta Press website.

973358[/snapback]

Thanks - I will be purchasing regardless. The sample chapter even makes games like Blankjack and Slot Machine sound interesting! :) Any plans for a color edition sometime in the future?

Either way - thanks for a great book!

Any plans for a color edition sometime in the future?

I had originally wanted to do a color version of ABC TO The VCS and Phoenix. However after publishing Ralph Baer's book earlier this year, I learned that it is just too expensive to produce color pages for low-print runs. With Ralph's book, I had to print a minimum of 3000 copies to make it economically feasible. I don't think ABC To The VCS would even sell a tenth of that.

Edited by rolenta

Any plans for a color edition sometime in the future?

I had originally wanted to do a color version of ABC TO The VCS and Phoenix. However after publishing Ralph Baer's book earlier this year, I learned that it is just too expensive to produce color pages for low-print runs. With Ralph's book, I had to print a minimum of 3000 copies to make it economically feasible. I don't think ABC To The VCS would even sell a tenth of that.

973843[/snapback]

Thanks for the info - that certainly makes sense. Either way, it's a fantastic book and it's on my Christmas wish list. Excellent work!!!

Is it O.K. if I add a question occasionally while I\'m working through the book?  In chapter 5, 3-D Havoc by Amiga is mentioned.  Was this shown in working form at a CES also?

I don't remember if that particular game was shown. All I remember is that Amiga showed the 3D games at Toy Fair, not CES.

Edited by rolenta

• 3 weeks later...
Got any plans to add it to Amazon? I think you'd get some more sales with user-posted reviews and their spiffy search engine. You know we'd fill up the page with good press.

No. There are no plans of putting this book on Amazon to keep the costs of the book low. Amazon requires a 55% discount off of the cover price which means that the price would have to have been made artificially higher (this is the same reason why Ralph Baer's book isn't available on Amazon either). Since the print run is low, and there are no plans to distribute this book, no ISBN was assigned to it.

• 5 months later...
When is Phonix going to be available again?

Hopefully by year's end. I've been working on other projects which have unfortunately delayed the 4th edition of Phoenix.

I have most of the previous editions. Definitive type stuff! Looking forward to the next.