IGNORED

Rochester NY Arcade & Video Sale at the Dome

Robert M

Hello,

I just found out about this event this week. I don't know what it will be like. I plan to go on Saturday. Here is the text of the newspaper ad I found about it:

Rochester Arcade & Video Sale at the Dome

Saturday November 26th 10-8PM, Sunday November 27th 10-5PM

FREE ADMISSION

Pinball Machines

Juke Boxes

Video Games

Pool Tables

Dart Boards

Air Hockey.

I am guessing that by "Dome" they are referring to the convention center Dome in Henrietta, NY just south of Rochester. I will report back what the show was like. I hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Well I went to the event. There were about 40 arcade machines, and about 10 pinball machines. All were for sale. They were in various states of repair from great to yikes! I thought the prices were about $100 to high on most of the arcade games, but then I don't have much experience pricing arcade machines. All thte games were on free play, so I got to play a number of games.

The best experience was getting to play Sega Turbo, since I had never seen it before, and there has been talk (and a April 1st prank) about porting it to the 2600. Having played it now, it seems that Enduro by Activision is a rip off of Turbo. Turbo has more in game features though: ambulances, tunnels, city driving etc. They wanted $299 for the Turbo machine. The monitor needs to be replaced, but the cabinet was in good shape.

Here are some of the other games I played there:

Mr Do

Rastan

Double Dragon

KungFu Master

Golden Axe (This machine was in scary shape, it looked like it went through a flood)

Street Fighter

Night Stalkers

Combatribes

Bad Dudes

Mortal Kombat

Primal Rage.

Side Swiper (something like that, it sucked)

Bowling

There is a rumor that there is another event planned for March or April that will focus on console gaming. If I get any solid information on it, I'll be sure to share.

Cheers!

Edited by Robert M

Well I went to the event.  There were about 40 arcade machines, and about 10 pinball machines.  All were for sale.  They were in various states of repair from great to yikes!  I thought the prices were about $100 to high on most of the arcade games, but then I don't have much experience pricing arcade machines.  All thte games were on free play, so I got to play a number of games. 

972172[/snapback]

Was it setup primarily as an event for people to sell machines, or were there lots of people there playing the games? Here in Texas there are two different types of events.. The large Super Auctions that hit Mesquite (Dallas) fairly often, and then arcade shows run by the various vendors here in Texas (such as the Texas Pinball Festival, which was just a few weeks ago). The auctions are simply that, auctions with TONS of games (well over 40) and there's very little time to actually play games. The arcade shows are setup for people to play games first, buy games second. They typically charge admission, and most machines are for sale with prices on them. But the machines stay until the end of the show. :)

It's been a long time since I've been to the Dome in Henrietta.. I went to school at RIT.

..Al

Was it setup primarily as an event for people to sell machines, or were there lots of people there playing the games?  Here in Texas there are two different types of events.. The large Super Auctions that hit Mesquite (Dallas) fairly often, and then arcade shows run by the various vendors here in Texas (such as the Texas Pinball Festival, which was just a few weeks ago).  The auctions are simply that, auctions with TONS of games (well over 40) and there's very little time to actually play games.  The arcade shows are setup for people to play games first, buy games second.  They typically charge admission, and most machines are for sale with prices on them.  But the machines stay until the end of the show.  :)

The machines were all running and set to free play. So I and many other people were playing them. Every machine had a price, and if you were interested in buying you walked over to a table where the promoter was located. I only saw one machine being sold while I was there. They turned the machine off and put a sold sticker on it. I didn't see anything to suggest that any of the machines would be sold auction style. It was kind of strange, because admission was free, and you could basically play all the games you wanted for free and not buy anything. As I said earlier, the prices on the machines seemed a little steep to me, so I wonder if they are going to break even on sales vesus the cost of the event.

It's been a long time since I've been to the Dome in Henrietta..  I went to school at RIT.

..Al

Cool. We get interns at my work from RIT at regular intervals.

Cheers!