IGNORED

sms games that would make good 7800 releases

8th lutz

I can't see the 7800 doing justice to Sonic. You move at a good clip in Scrapyard Dog, but you'd need to go at least twice as fast for Sonic.

973134[/snapback]

Have you played the SMS Sonic? Believe me its anything but fast!

973139[/snapback]

Might be he point that Sonic is best reserved for 16-bit consoles.

I can't see the 7800 doing justice to Sonic. You move at a good clip in Scrapyard Dog, but you'd need to go at least twice as fast for Sonic.

973134[/snapback]

973139[/snapback]

Might be he point that Sonic is best reserved for 16-bit consoles.

973438[/snapback]

The Game Gear seemed to handle it well for an 8 bit system. Perhaps it's an exception to the rule, though.

973134[/snapback]

973139[/snapback]

Still faster than I can see the 7800 pulling off effectively.

973134[/snapback]

973139[/snapback]

973783[/snapback]

It couldn't be any slower and at least the sprites wouldn't flicker!

973134[/snapback]

973139[/snapback]

973783[/snapback]

It couldn't be any slower and at least the sprites wouldn't flicker!

973794[/snapback]

Sonic would totally work for the 7800 I don't see where the arguement is coming fro that it wouldn't pull off AT LEAST Master System speeds (or IMO better).

Here is the speed of the two systems. The Atari 7800 runs a 1.79mhz micropressorand the master systems runs at 3.6 MHZ cpu. The Atari 7800 Graphic also runs at 7.16MHZ. The SMs speed was found in the Digigtal press collectors guide. I made my corrections thanks to mitch. Hopefully this will could settle the speed issue of the 7800. Hopefully There could be a mockup on sonic on a 7800.

The Genesis version was based on the Genesis 7.67 processor in terms or sonic went. The sms and genesis sonic games were based on each systems strengths.

Edited by 8th lutz

The sms is faster then the 7800 based on speed.  The Atari 7800 run a 1.79mhz and the master systems runs at 3.6 MHZ.  The speed of  sms is faster then the supernes.  I found out by reading the technical notes on both systems in Digital Press Collectors Guide. 

973879[/snapback]

Processor speed means very very little unless you're talking about memboers of the same CPU family clocked at different rates. A slow clocked chip might accomplish more in clock cycle than a less efficient fast clocked chip. Z80 8-bit systems looked better on paper than many of their 6502 brethren because they tended to be clocked at some multiple of 3.58 Mhz. The thing is that it often took three clocks to accomplish what the 6502 could in one.

Another poster mentioned that Maria runs at 7.16 Mhz. But that doesn't mean much either. What is more meaningful is the Maria can bash around many many sprites at once although it isn't so good with bitmapped playfields and the more sprites being manipulated at once the less time their is for non-sprite graphics. It definitely requires a different style of development than the NES although I don't want to reopen THAT thread.

The sms is faster then the 7800 based on speed.  The Atari 7800 run a 1.79mhz and the master systems runs at 3.6 MHZ.  The speed of  sms is faster then the supernes.  I found out by reading the technical notes on both systems in Digital Press Collectors Guide. 

973879[/snapback]

Processor speed means very very little unless you're talking about memboers of the same CPU family clocked at different rates. A slow clocked chip might accomplish more in clock cycle than a less efficient fast clocked chip. Z80 8-bit systems looked better on paper than many of their 6502 brethren because they tended to be clocked at some multiple of 3.58 Mhz. The thing is that it often took three clocks to accomplish what the 6502 could in one.

Another poster mentioned that Maria runs at 7.16 Mhz. But that doesn't mean much either. What is more meaningful is the Maria can bash around many many sprites at once although it isn't so good with bitmapped playfields and the more sprites being manipulated at once the less time their is for non-sprite graphics. It definitely requires a different style of development than the NES although I don't want to reopen THAT thread.

973953[/snapback]

Which is why I don't see sonic working well on the 7800. To get any speed that would be a sonic game, the 7800 would have to be killing itself with bitmapped backgrounds that are horizontally scrolling, no less. It's a weakness of the system, and sonic would make it glaringly obvious, unless that code was REAL optimized.