IGNORED

Guitar Heroes

atarilovesyou

...man, Canada angers me!..why?...I've been waiting for my copy of Guitar Heroes to arrive, it's been 2 weeks overdue in release!...it's the ONLY game made past 1991 that's going to be played on my PS2, and yet it eludes me!....

....I NEED THIS GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

..yesterday!!!!

...anybody pumped for this to come out like me?

...Or you could buy a real guitar.

I got several real guitars, have gigged in bar bands for years, and can play the majority of the tunes on the tracklist behind my head if I wanted to.

That being said, I am PSYCHED to get Guitar Heroes. :D Playing this game and the real thing are different things alltogether. And I want the game :)

..I too have been playing electric guitar for years and can play just about every tune on this disc..I've been to the website, and let me tell you the Gamespot ad looks great! Until I really listened closely, I thought they actually used the real music!...which I wouldn't have minded, but these cover bands are VERY convincing from the clips I've heard and seen.

Here in Canada the release date is now set from Nov to 5th of December...I have mine on preorder and the demand for this game is supposedly quite high! My and my guitar buddies can't wait....the great thing is that it'll be fun, and I'm not one of those guitarists who think just because I can play guitar that I'm somehow going to be better at this game than somebody else.....very unlike the 'real life' guitar hero 'I RULE' attitude! I just can't wait to play along with You've Got Another Thing Comin...

...this game could have so many SWEET sequels, if they get the right tunes!....more 80's hair bands of course!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Got this for Christmas and can't stop playing it.

The thing is, I think you have to at least be familiar with playing the guitar to actually play it.

I have played (poorly) for years, and it is very intuitive to me, and painfully addicting.

And while I do feel like a moron strapping on a plastic guitar, once the game starts, it is nothing but pure fun.

The wammy bar is great too. Using it at the beginning of 'Iron Man' is worth whatever the price tag may be.

One of the best games I have ever played (as long as nobody is actually watching me play).

No shame my friend!...just make the ol' "what's that smell??" face and RIP!!!....I've been playing for years and I just made it to the hard rounds that incorporate the fifth fret...and it's tough as hell!...and I can actually play the solo to Bark at the Moon, yet this thing is nasty!!...I can't even last 10 seconds on hard level Bark...lots of funky things going on...I only hope that they release part 2 on PS2!!!...it's a great game, but needs more HAIR METAL TUNES!!!..have fun, spead the word about GUITAR HERO!!

Anyone have some advice on how to handle the blue button? I'm great on anything that uses the first 3 buttons (easy or medium), but when they throw that damn fourth button into the mix I'm screwed. I can't seem to hit it with my pinky which means I have to shift my hand down which means I get all screwed up when I have to switch back to other notes. I guess I'm just not talented enough (too bad they don't make Trombone Heroes, I'd rock at that ;) )

Tempest

NEVER EVER play with three buttons!!!!

You will never get used to playing with four or five!!

Just start with four and stick with it! You will be frustrated but eventually you will get used to it and it will be easy. You must learn to use your pinky for the blue button and the more you practice the better and easier it will be.

Well I'm down to the last two songs at Toxic Fest, but I can't do either of them. Crossroads is way too hard and I get about 30% of the way through No One Knows before I blow it.

It's not the hard patterns that are getting me, but rather those stupid repetative patterns that are my biggest problem. Like this type of pattern:

GR

G

GR

G

GR

I have trouble letting go of the Red button fast enough to hit just the Green and then hitting them both for the chord.

Tempest

Well I'm down to the last two songs at Toxic Fest, but I can't do either of them.  Crossroads is way too hard and I get about 30% of the way through No One Knows before I blow it.

It's not the hard patterns that are getting me, but rather those stupid repetative patterns that are my biggest problem.  Like this type of pattern:

GR

G

GR

G

GR

I have trouble letting go of the Red button fast enough to hit just the Green and then hitting them both for the chord.

Tempest

995653[/snapback]

...sounds like all you need to do is pull off the R button while still fretting the G button. There's always the most economical way of getting through the riffs, and the pulloffs onto lower notes helps a lot...although sometimes it's a bit too complicated and you just go with whatever comes naturally!...good luck.

It's not the hard patterns that are getting me, but rather those stupid repetative patterns that are my biggest problem.  Like this type of pattern:

GR

G

GR

G

GR

Tempest, to translate what atarilovesyou says... In that particular pattern don't let go of the G button. Leave it pressed down. That way all you're really doing is pressing and letting go of the R button.

Guitar Hero tries to act like a real guitar in that you can keep the buttons pressed lower on the neck while playing higher buttons. In other words you can keep the red and green buttons pressed if you want to while playing the blue and yellow ones and it wouldn't make a difference. The game will accept it fine. The opposite isn't true however.

GR

G

GR

G

GR

Tempest, to translate what atarilovesyou says... In that particular pattern don't let go of the G button. Leave it pressed down. That way all you're really doing is pressing and letting go of the R button.

Guitar Hero tries to act like a real guitar in that you can keep the buttons pressed lower on the neck while playing higher buttons. In other words you can keep the red and green buttons pressed if you want to while playing the blue and yellow ones and it wouldn't make a difference. The game will accept it fine. The opposite isn't true however.

996713[/snapback]

Really? I'll have to try that out. That would mean that the green button could be held down all the time then right?

Tempest

Really?  I'll have to try that out.  That would mean that the green button could be held down all the time then right?

Tempest

You'd think.. but not really. I think (I'm still figuring it out too to be quite honest) it doesn't like you holding lower buttons down if you're playing chords on other buttons (2 or more buttons at the same time).

In other words if the game wants you to press red & blue at the same time, it won't like you pressing green as well. Not that you'd want to anyway.. that's hard! :P

Edited by NE146

I had a few people over this weekend and the game was on the whole time.

The guitar got passed around for literally hours.

Once again though, those who never played a guitar before didn't last for

a minute.

I know I said this already, but the game is so very very very fun.

Well I'm down to the last two songs at Toxic Fest, but I can't do either of them.  Crossroads is way too hard and I get about 30% of the way through No One Knows before I blow it.

995653[/snapback]

That is exactly where I am stuck.

I just keep trying. When I get frustrated, I play "Take it off" on easy to feel good about myself again :D

Well I think all I need is practice. I went back to a bunch of songs I three starred and tried them again. In every case I either five starred it or four starred it. Actually I'm quite proud of how I did on "More Than A Feeling" because the first time I played it on both easy and normal I only three starred it, but this time I five starred it with a total score of 146,500. It's funny how you just get in the zone on some songs, I did the same thing with "Symphony of Destruction" and "You've Got Another Thing Coming". For some reason though I just can't five star "Smoke on the Water", probably because the damn thing is so repetative my hand starts to go numb...

Tempest

..never played Guitar Freaks, although I did in the arcade years ago. Heroes destroys in in my opinion, the most notable feature being the cover band songs of actual tunes. Five buttons plus a whammy to answer your question.

I'd say that previous musical ability helps a lot, I know a girl who never touched guitar before but played piano for years and she was amazing at it...at least on the easy and medium levels. The hardest thing is when the beats don't match up to any guitar you hear in the song, like a dotted note...kills streaks dead.

The hardest thing is when the beats don't match up to any guitar you hear in the song, like a dotted note...kills streaks dead.

997173[/snapback]

Yeah I'm running into that, especially when the beat you hear is more complex than what is being displayed. I've killed a few streaks trying to do some complicated rhythm that wasn't really there.

Tempest