IGNORED

Sega CD trouble...

With so much Genesis and other Sega stuff hitting this forum lately, I thought I might ask about a little issue I'm having with a recently aquired Sega CD model 1 unit. It powers up fine and the CD tray opens and closes as it should. The CD's bios comes up and Cd player...but...

It doesn't actually see any CDs I put in it. I have two Sega CD games to use on it, but when I insert them and press start or close the door, it will take it...and then a few seconds later...the door comes open again.

I don't have much else to go on as I don't have a Manual with this. I can tell you that the Access light on the thing constantly flashes with a slight pause when the tray is closing or opening.

The only other thing I can mention is that I got this with it being touted as "Working when last used...". But initially it didn't even come up fully. I cracked it open and found the main CD interface ribbon completely disconnected. After reconnecting this it comes to the point described above.

So...any ideas? Anyone have a scan of the Model 1 Sega CD manual that might give me a clue? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated...

Well, just to state the obvious, the laser could have gotten damaged in transit. When you buy a new CD player, there's always that little piece of cardboard inside the drive to keep things from rattling around. If there was no protection inside the drive, something could have broken. Maybe your package got jarred a whole lot during shipping, and it's damaged the drive. Can it play music CDs?

Edited by SteveW