IGNORED

XL games for Minigame Competition 2006

Lord-Chaos

The 2 XL games in the 1K compo made place 9 (Superfly 1K) and 22 (Bombex).

Too bad I missed the deadline for the 2005 minigame compo, I did not have time to finish my project, but I will finish it for the 2006 compo.

For 2006, we should try to have an ATARI XL/XE winner in the 1K or 4K compo, if they don't change anything.

There are many good XL programmers here and look at the ATARI 2600 games in the 2004 and 2005 compos - 1K winner last year, 2nd in 2005, 3rd place for a 2600 4K game this year.ATARI can win. It's not always Commodore and Sinclair.

Anyone interested in writing some ATARI 800 XL/XE games for the 2006 minigame compo ? We need more than 2 games, look at the number of ATARI 2600 games this year.

We should make this a real "project" , winning the minigame compo in 2006 with an ATARI 800 XL/XE game for the first time.

Thimo

We should make this a real "project" , winning the minigame compo in 2006 with an ATARI 800 XL/XE game for the first time.

Find ich 'ne super idee! Indeed this is a great idea. 2006 ? Then we have a lot of time to collect and discuss ideas, technical possibilities, etc. Because the overall complexity of a mini game is straightforward this forum here might be a good place to discuss and later to implement the game.

\twh

2006 ? Then we have a lot of time to collect and discuss ideas, technical possibilities, etc. Because the overall complexity of a mini game is straightforward this forum here might be a good place to discuss and later to implement the game.

:idea: Maybe there will be two compos in 2006. One starting pretty soon.

The 2 XL games in the 1K compo made place 9 (Superfly 1K) and 22 (Bombex).

Too bad I missed the deadline for the 2005 minigame compo, I did not have time to finish my project, but I will finish it for the 2006 compo.

For 2006, we should try to have an ATARI XL/XE winner in the 1K or 4K compo, if they don't change anything.

There are many good XL programmers here and look at the ATARI 2600 games in the 2004 and 2005 compos - 1K winner last year, 2nd in 2005, 3rd place for a 2600 4K game this year.ATARI can win. It's not always Commodore and Sinclair.

Anyone interested in writing some ATARI 800 XL/XE games for the 2006 minigame compo ? We need more than 2 games, look at the number of ATARI 2600 games this year.

Thimo

976694[/snapback]

Well. I wanted to take part in 2006 compo again but I'm very dissapointed Bombex scored only the 22th place. I don't think it's so bad game and my first thoughts were some something like "I should do something more useful next year, may be watching TV, than coding another 1kB game".

I think there's a lot of really good coders out there, for example in Poland, but it's old problem of our A8 community: lack of interest. Just talks and no results.

F.

Well. I wanted to take part in 2006 compo again but I'm very dissapointed Bombex scored only the 22th place. I don't think it's so bad game and my first thoughts were some something like "I should do something more useful next year, may be watching TV, than coding another 1kB game".

It sure hurts, when your work is heavily criticized. Especially when you didn't expect it.

But IMO that's what taking part in a compo is very useful for. Unlike in a positively biased community like here on AA, there you get mostly honest and therefore really valuable feedback.

So please, don't feel discouraged! Carefully read the comments (not only regarding your own game), try to fix your games weak points and learn from other peoples strengths (and failures!). Almost all comments are pretty constructive, even though your game scored weak. So there is definetely some space for improvement, else people wouldn't have cared.

And if you should decide for making something completely new, then taking part in this year's compo should help you a lot too.

CU @2006! :)

It sure hurts, when your work is heavily criticized. Especially when you didn't expect it.

But IMO that's what taking part in a compo is very useful for. Unlike in a positively biased community like here on AA, there you get mostly honest and therefore really valuable feedback.

So please, don't feel discouraged! Carefully read the comments (not only regarding your own game), try to fix your games weak points and learn from other peoples strengths (and failures!). Almost all comments are pretty constructive, even though your game scored weak. So there is definetely some space for improvement, else people wouldn't have cared.

And if you should decide for making something completely new, then taking part in this year's compo should help you a lot too.

976801[/snapback]

Sorry, guys. That was my last try in MiniGame Compo.

F.

(...)

976801[/snapback]

I think Thomas is right.

Take a look at Superfly 1k and 1k+, I think the plus version is far better than the old one and I am quite satisfied with it.

I only touched the code again because of the constructive feedback but at the end of the day the most important thing was the fun making it.

976827[/snapback]

That's would be bad I like you game.

PS @Thomas: klar wird es schwerer, hast halt nicht gut genug gespielt ;)

PS @Thomas: klar wird es schwerer, hast halt nicht gut genug gespielt ;)

976862[/snapback]

Dachte ich mir schon. Ich hatte dies Jahr einfach nicht genug Zeit, um alles wirklich ausführlich zu testen.

Außerdem habe ich mich anscheinend so sehr an die Cave1K Physik gewöhnt, dass ich mich nur schwer umstellen kann. :)

I participated on this forum already about your game Bombex. It is excellent game, I played it several times and I will come to it again. Scoring best points here is really challenging.

I hope you will return with some new game in the future. Don't worry, you will be remembered forever for your work till now. Your site is excellent, it helped me a lot in completing my game collection list, which will be available soon and you will be informed about it.

Greetz,

Gury

976801[/snapback]

F.

976827[/snapback]

I think your game was pretty good (and your game in 2004, too).

It's difficult to win against the Sinclair and Commodore games. In the beginning, the competition was almost C64/Vc20 and Sinclair - only.

IMO we need a lot, that means more than 5 good XL games to win. We must show the Commodore and Sinclair coders that the ATARI 800 XL is a good system, capable of high quality minigames.

I must say again - look what the ATARI 2600 community managed to do. Almost nonexistant in the first years of the compo, we had A LOT of 2600 games in 2004 and 2005.

And Minigames for the ATARI 800 are nothing new. I have a few type-in listings from 1988/89 , an 1K Pacman, some 1K action games. Good games can be made.

But we need at least 3 or 4 programmers with one or two games each.

Thimo

Another idea :

If we manage to create a few ATARI 800 XL/XE minigames, we could make a limited multicart with the games, let's say 50 carts with all the ATARI 800 XL/XE minigames.

32K should be enough for some 1K games and a few 4K games.

We should also use techniques like Player/Missile overlays for 4K games to show the advantages of the ATARI 800 XL/XE.

IMO people seem to prefer action/arcade games, so action/arcade games should be programmed. Platform games, action-adventures and mini-roleplaying games are also possible winners.

Further, "stealing" ideas from other games is no crime. Someone could "remake" and improve some of the existing minigames such as Splatform for the 800.

Thimo

Another idea :

If we manage to create a few ATARI 800 XL/XE minigames, we could make a limited multicart with the games, let's say 50 carts with all the ATARI 800 XL/XE minigames.

32K should be enough for some 1K games and a few 4K games.

We should also use techniques like Player/Missile overlays for 4K games to show the advantages of the ATARI 800 XL/XE.

IMO people seem to prefer action/arcade games, so action/arcade games should be programmed. Platform games, action-adventures and mini-roleplaying games are also possible winners.

Further, "stealing" ideas from other games is no crime. Someone could "remake" and improve some of the existing minigames such as Splatform for the 800.

Thimo

979951[/snapback]

I am up for programming a game or a few for the next minigame compo... what is the 2006 deadline?

• 1 month later...
Take a look at Superfly 1k and 1k+, I think the plus version is far better than the old one and I am quite satisfied with it.

I am such a big fan of the game that I could not let my fingers from the source code. And so, here is a slightly modified version with the RMT tune "Retrovibes" by PG (Zdenek Eisenhammer) which I found in the SAP collection. The song is like it was made specially for this game and so I could not resist :-)

thx to Matthias, Zdenek and Raster

have fun!

\twh

post-2336-1137515967_thumb.jpg

Superfly_1k___2005__Matthias_Luedtke__m_twh_.zip

Nah... i've never liked the minigame compo from day one and have never entered on any format; trying to wedge games into that kind of space stifles them on most platforms apart from the 2600 where the bar is already incredibly high anyway.

i doubt any of my ongoing projects'd mash down small enough anyway. =-)