IGNORED

FB 2.0 prototype...

Okay, people have quietly asked me in PM's for sometime if I'd part with any Flashback 2 proto related items, so here ya go kiddies.... this is one of our original prototype box designs for what was being called the Atari Flashback 2.0 up until 3 days before E3 back in May. This is an original proto box and for fun, hey I even autographed the thing (yeah like that just dropped its value immensely!!!) ;)

So here you go:

Atari Flashback 2.0 proto on Ebay....

Curt

I did too... we spent a lot of time tweaking it to really have the feel of an original 1977-1982 styled box. The retailers however, stated it was too dark and needed to look more attention grabbing. Since Atari seems to love red, the box design was changed to a red title bar, the background lightened up a bit, the "clutter" of screenshots as we were told was thinned down and the final FB2 product was placed onto the box and the new box design/shape shown at E3 and is what is currently on retailer shelves now.

Curt

Neat!  I like that box design better than the one that was actually used.

Tempest

978707[/snapback]

Okay, people have quietly asked me in PM's for sometime if I'd part with any Flashback 2 proto related items, so here ya go kiddies.... this is one of our original prototype box designs for what was being called the Atari Flashback 2.0 up until 3 days before E3 back in May.    This is an original proto box and for fun, hey I even autographed the thing (yeah like that just dropped its value immensely!!!)  ;)

So here you go:

Atari Flashback 2.0 proto on Ebay....

Curt

978705[/snapback]

WOW great box style, wicth they had used that box cover then that one we got :D

Its an old Atari slogan which fit perfectly for the console since, it had more games then any other Plug N Play's it was more fun, just seemed fitting when it was being put together.

Curt

I like the use of the old "More games - more fun" slogan from Atari's '80s marketing materials. ;)

979134[/snapback]

Not like that, actually the original first prototype we did and had shown at the January CES was of a 2600jr console, I have some photo's someplace I'll dig up and post. Since it was decided that there would be no cart slot and no USB to a host PC/Mac, I had really wanted to save the Sunnyvale Woody look for FB 2.5 or FB 3, but after several meetings it was decided that pending the sales performance of the 2.0 product, it was unclear about a 2.5 or 3.0 product, so the 2600 VCS look was the way to go and what you see on the box is actually a photo shop rendering of my own 77' heavy sixer sitting here in my office and modified with the first suggested layout and a mock cartridge port. When the size of the console was reduced to 2/3'rds the fake cart port had to go and the layout of the buttons was further refined.

When I have sometime after the holidays, it'll be time to create Flashbacks section on Atari Museum and give the full history behind Flashback -1 and Flashback 2, show everyone the product sketches, designs and some interesting inside info on how things came about. It makes for almost as good a read as some of the old 70's and 80's Atari history.

Curt

Post #3 states "final FB2 product". Does this mean that there was a prototype unit built like the one on the box? cart slot ......different button layout.........looks slightly larger than the current Fb2?

979097[/snapback]

Many retailers were sent a "Fast Fact" sheet which featured the original proto box design . They were later sent the final production box art, but some retailers never updated their image, so while it may show the original 2.0 proto box, everyone (except Jayson Smith) will own a larger Red Box.

Curt

It's the same box featured on Kmart. I assume if you order it you will get the red box version, right?

Flashback 2.0 @ Kmart

982162[/snapback]

• 1 month later...
Not like that, actually the original first prototype we did and had shown at the January CES was of a 2600jr console, I have some photo's someplace I'll dig up and post.    Since it was decided that there would be no cart slot and no USB to a host PC/Mac, I had really wanted to save the Sunnyvale Woody look for FB 2.5 or FB 3, but after several meetings it was decided that pending the sales performance of the 2.0 product, it was unclear about a 2.5 or 3.0 product, so the 2600 VCS look was the way to go and what you see on the box is actually a photo shop rendering of my own 77' heavy sixer sitting here in my office and modified with the first suggested layout and a mock cartridge port.  When the size of the console was reduced to 2/3'rds the fake cart port had to go and the layout of the buttons was further refined.

When I have sometime after the holidays, it'll be time to create Flashbacks section on Atari Museum and give the full history behind Flashback -1 and Flashback 2, show everyone the product sketches, designs and some interesting inside info on how things came about.  It makes for almost as good a read as some of the old 70's and 80's Atari history.

That does sound like a great read. Hope to see it.

• 1 year later...
When I have sometime after the holidays, it'll be time to create Flashbacks section on Atari Museum and give the full history behind Flashback -1 and Flashback 2, show everyone the product sketches, designs and some interesting inside info on how things came about. It makes for almost as good a read as some of the old 70's and 80's Atari history.

Did this ever happen?

I know there've been bits and pieces of stories here and there, but I'd love to read more. I'm always interested in that sort of thing.