IGNORED

What lucasfilm Ltd games should've been on 7800?

8th lutz

Since we didn't have a computer in my family until 1988, I wasn't familiar with Lucasarts at the time. X-Wing/TIE Fighter didn't come out for years, and probably would've ported poorly to the 7800. Then again, Rescue on Fractalus looks pretty good (for a start), though the framerate is poor. I'm guessing a character-based game would port better; the 7800 simulations always seem a bit short of their intention.

Coronis Rift!

Much better looking fractals at that stage after having "Rescue of Fractalis" and "The Eidolon" to practice on.  It would need a save game feature which the cheap Tramiels would never have approved.

979311[/snapback]

Oh come on. Old Jack was the most generous guy in the industry. :)

Speaking of new 7800 games, would you ever consider doing another one?

Allan

Maniac Mansion. Granted, it would have been a memory hog (and as another poster pointed out, unlikely with the Tramiels holding the pursestrings taut), but it would have looked better than the ugly NES version (and perhaps better than the C64). Even better would have been Zak McKracken, but I'd hate to think how much that would have cost in cart form in the late 80s.

Night Shift. This one always seemed to me to be the spiritual successor to Activision's Toy Bizarre, and I was perplexed when it didn't come out for any of the 8-bit machines...

Pipe Dream seems almost too easy to suggest.

• 3 months later...

Ummm... right. Because F-14 Hornet showed that the 7800 does polygons sooooo well.

With the advancements made sence that game F14 was made I think more is known about the 7800 and it's capabilities as well the fact that as much time as the person wants to put into the game is avalible (a la no deadlines for release) might be in the favor of getting a good flight sim. But yes I totally agree F14 is lacking.

Arrrgghhhhh...

Look, the 7800 is a 6502-based machine running at about the same speed as every other 6502-based machine from that time period. The best polygonal visuals you can get out of hardware like this are seen in games like Elite, Starglider, and Mercenary. In other words, two or three simple wireframe objects onscreen at once, running at about 15 FPS.

Arrrgghhhhh...

Look, the 7800 is a 6502-based machine running at about the same speed as every other 6502-based machine from that time period. The best polygonal visuals you can get out of hardware like this are seen in games like Elite, Starglider, and Mercenary. In other words, two or three simple wireframe objects onscreen at once, running at about 15 FPS.

and 640K should be enough for anyone

have u seen the numen demo on the atari 800.. hmmm....

Yes, I have. It's an impressive technical feat but as a game it's horribly low-res and slow.

Non-programmers who think a can-do attitude and lots of exclamation points can achieve technical impossibilities just irritate the hell out of me.