IGNORED

Question

No, the FB2 uses only 300ma, the original Atari 2600 needs 600ma. The FB2 power connector is a female tip and the original 2600 is a male tip.

You can, however, purchase a replacement Atari 2600 p/s from www.myatari.com or www.best-electronics-ca.com or you can pick up a p/s from radio shack, you'll just need to purchase the appropriate adapter tip as they now sell them seperately as opposed to their older line of power paks that came with an assortment or different power adapter tips.

Curt

Ok, I'm full of questions today....this forum has sparked my interest in this stuff.

Will the power supply from the FB2 work on the old 2600?

980548[/snapback]

All of the FB2 paks here in the office are 350 and 300ma's Its possible with the later board refinements they started paking in 200ma, but the console had always been spec'd out the door at 300ma on averag.

Some of my 2600 p/s are 500, others are 600ma, so either would be fine.

Power connectors still work would on either, no matter what the ma's though :-)

Curt

I think Curt need to put his glasses on. :D

My FB2 says 200mA, and the 2600 is 500mA. I think there were a few early 2600 power supplies that were rated 300mA though. :ponder:  :P

Mitch

980881[/snapback]

Well, I'll try to find a suitable PS, and see if the thing fires up. If not, no big loss as I thought it was busted anyway. I'll just scavenge it for parts(ie: Cart port for when I get bored enough to do the FB2 hack).

Unless there's something in there that could be the culprit, and is easily fixable(such as the fuse....like in the C=64).

All of the FB2 paks here in the office are 350 and 300ma's    Its possible with the later board refinements they started paking in 200ma, but the console had always been spec'd out the door at 300ma on averag.

Some of my 2600 p/s are 500, others are 600ma, so either would be fine.

980901[/snapback]

That's interesting, my current readings on Adventure are:

32ma FB2 built-in game

67ma FB2 with cartridge

274ma cart in four-switcher

If using a FB2 in any way drew close to 200ma, it would worry me because the 5v regulator isn't heat-sinked.