IGNORED

capture the flag...

Heaven/TQA

anybody knows which version was the first? i just played the vic20 version...and it seems quite technical and similar to the 800 version... with raster interrupts etc... very well done...

atari: http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1567

vic: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic20/roms/8k/

post-528-1134326291_thumb.png

post-528-1134326383_thumb.png

At 1982 Paul Edelstein (Sirius Software) did original WAYOUT for Apple II computer, after that, he did Atari 800 port.

CAPTURE THE FLAG was in 1983 for Atari 800 and after that he did the VIC 20 port.

Really impresive, is the best game I had saw in VIC20.

The game uses narrow playfield, and the first/last 8 bytes of screen data are masked by green PMGs.

That leaves 16 bytes which gets displayed.

I would guess that using 16 bytes per line would be to make screen calculations easier, plus save some memory. Although, I can't see any great advantage (other than memory saving) over using tables to store Y addresses for screen locations.

It also uses an interesting technique to change the DLI vector. JSR to a routine which then pulls the address from the stack, increments it and stores in $200,201, then issues RTI.

BTW, it seems this game doesn't work properly with Atari800Win PLus. This is not the result of a bad dump (this has been verified with the original disk image).

Note that other Sirius programs like Turmoil, Fast Eddie and Final Orbit also have a messed up screen display but for different reasons probably.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I would guess that using 16 bytes per line would be to make screen calculations easier, plus save some memory. Although, I can't see any great advantage (other than memory saving) over using tables to store Y addresses for screen locations.

That would make sense. The game was to be cartridge-based but ended up as a disk release.

--

Atari Frog

Looks like it gets to $5285 then starts doing some disk access,

I guess as this is an xex that the data isn't available, it fails

and so loops waiting for a disk. What you're seeing when it

does fire up (because you have some disk attached already)

is the game working against the (incorrect) data it did load.

Regards,

Mark

never thought on this idea which he used in way out with 16 byte long scanlines... but you can remove the players which cover the rest of the screen simply via monitor (lda #0).

it's an interesting concept... and interesting done in 1982.... and not often reused again...(or i am not aware of...)

post-528-1134406617_thumb.jpg

Doesn't seem to work either, at least for me...

981004[/snapback]

The version for which Heaven provided the link works fine on Atari800WinPLus 4.0beta3 & 4.0Final, with every possible settings, as long as you set:

- SIO patch: off

- Disk Drive D1: No disk (turned on, but empty)

This version is a bad crack, though - after the first run it doesn't show the credits text, instead it displays the "options screen". But the keys 1,2,3 don't work until you pressed START key. (Interestingly, after choosing 3 (Demo) the credits text shows properly.)

never thought on this idea which he used in way out with 16 byte long scanlines... but you can remove the players which cover the rest of the screen simply via monitor (lda #0).

it's an interesting concept... and interesting done in 1982.... and not often reused again...(or i am not aware of...)

981097[/snapback]

What should this be good for?

It doesn't save CPU-cycles, and every graphics is drawn two times.

The version for which Heaven provided the link works fine on Atari800WinPLus 4.0beta3 & 4.0Final, with every possible settings, as long as you set:

- SIO patch: off

- Disk Drive D1: No disk (turned on, but empty)

This version is a bad crack, though - after the first run it doesn't show the credits text, instead it displays the "options screen". But the keys 1,2,3 don't work until you pressed START key. (Interestingly, after choosing 3 (Demo) the credits text shows properly.)

Thanks, that did the trick! We'll try to redump this one as we have the original disk.

--

Atari Frog