IGNORED

Getting to know you....Atari fans

Sayton

Guess I'll add my bio...

1) How old are you?

31 as of yesterday.

2) What sex are you?

Let's just say I have a very nice competition pro joystick, and leave it at that :D :P

3) When did you get an Atari?

xmas of 83. System + 15 games. I was one happy kid!

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today).

Never stopped. It was only a few years back that I discovered my thrifting/collecting was considered a hobby. The games were good then, and now. I've had an atari hooked up pretty much continually since '83 :cool:

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't?

Simple, focused, and white knuckle gameplay. A lot of originality too. Newer games are more experiences. Atari is more about reflex and endurance.

6) What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600).

Music, ice tea, and the occasional unplanned cat attack.

7) How many hours a day or at a time do you play the Atari?

Depends. Sometimes I will spend months where I play 45 minutes a day. Other times, I won't turn it in for several months. Depends on my schedule and mood.

8)How many days a week do you spend on it?

On average 2-3

9) Your top 3-5 games. WHY these choices?

Depends on my mood. Hero, Beamrider, River raid, Haunted Adventure, Galaxian.

That's THIS week :D

10) Do you play any other systems besides the 2600?

Heh. Do I play other systems he asks. Yes, I have just about every classic system ever made in the US, and I play 'em all. I also play Halo 2 and Operation Flashpoint a lot on xbox live. I have a PS2 as well. I like shmups quite a bit, and I spend a lot of time playing with my DS

11) How do you view gaming of today as compared to the 70's/80's?

More experience oriented. Games now are more like live action movies. Games in the 80s were more abstracts, more focused. Kind of like the difference between football (newer games) and the 50 yard dash (old games). Both are valid sports, and both are worth playing/doing.

12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?)

Usually by myself. Unless I have a 'classic gaming night'

13) Finally, do you or have you ever tried to turn someone to the "Atari side"?

Yeah, occasionally. One buddy of mine did start collecting. He was always making fun of me about my collection, until I made him play maze craze with me. Nex thing I know, it's two hours later, and he's making greedy eyes at my spare 2600 deck.

Yeah, occasionally. One buddy of mine did start collecting. He was always making fun of me about my collection, until I made him play maze craze with me. Nex thing I know, it's two hours later, and he's making greedy eyes at my spare 2600 deck.

1021805[/snapback]

That made me LOL. :D

Well, I've decided to do a little research and figured why not do it with something I love: Atari? But it's not just about Atari, it's about you as well. Basically here's the deal: I'm not as hardcore as alot of you are about the 2600, then again I might play it alot more than others. Who knows? But for the elite I want to know: WHY? If any of you don't mind some questions and answering them that'd be great. I want to compile some info and see what likes/dislikes you all have and what differences there are among us.

Please note I WILL NOT ask for your name. That's just not cool (some people don't wanna give names over the net and I totally understand).

1) How old are you?  35

2) What sex are you?  m

3) When did you get an Atari?  about 1980 or so. I was a teen,then.

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today).  In the '80's

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't?  It was the 1rst game system,offered to me.It was given to me as a christmas present. My friends on my street,had the same system. We'd trade games like every day & keep them for a week & return them.I just liked the 2600.

6) What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600).  No comment.

7) How many hours a day or at a time do you play the Atari? i'd spend about 4 to 6 hour on the system.

8) How many days a week do you spend on it?everday

9) Your top 3-5 games. WHY these choices? Raider of the Lost Ark: it was challenging.It had more than 1 activity to do. Donkey Kong: you got to fight with the gorilla. And plus i'd play this game on the arcade. Donkey Kong Jr. (Same with Donkey Kong)  Space Invaders: it had a lot of aliens to kill & had alot of shooitng to do. & you had the spaceship for bonus points. Pitfall: you were in the forest,swinging on vines & over rivrers & mud pits. Moon Patrol:  you were on the moon,shooting boulders & jumping over craters.

10) Do you play any other systems besides the 2600?  I've played the Intellivision,Colecovision,Nintendo & playstation.

11) How do you view gaming of today as compared to the 70's/80's? Oh it is much different. There is more killing & more games that you drive in. & the games are 3-D.

12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?) Yes,i'd play with some1. It was mostly with a friend.But other times,it was with a family member.

13) Finally, do you or have you ever tried to turn someone to the "Atari side"? yes

I just thought of these questions off the top of my head. If any of you could answer these questions it'd be great. I'm only 23 and I know some of you are older than me, so I've got to know why you still come back to this great system (everyone has their reasons, I just want to know yours). Thanks alot!

982890[/snapback]

1) How old are you?

23. (Am I the youngest?)

2) What sex are you?

Male

September of 2005

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today).

Late 2004. I was wondering if there was any video games before NES (I was so naive!) and up popped Atari. Emulators and ROMs later, I bought an actual one. If you're wondering about my experience with E.T., I bought it, played with it for a few days and it broke, so I threw it away. I kept broken carts of Berzerk and Realsports Football for some reason

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't?

IMHO, Video games are on the decline. Every system out now boasts bigger better graphics, power, etc. But who cares if the games are none I'd want to play? I don't want to play anything out for the X-Box 360 or PSP. Nintendo is making the Revolution, and I'll support them cuz it's way different than the 360 and PS3.

Keep in mind, I only have 35 Atari 2600 games. My faves are Video Pinball, Ms. Pac-Man and Freeway. Why do I like them? They're simple and addictive.

Yes: NES, Game Boy, SNES, N64, Gamecube, GBC, GBA, Sega Genesis, and DS. My total video game collection is 200+.

The 80's were really the birth of home video games to the culture. My mom used to tell me that she and dad played Pong in some bar in the late 70's. But, right after the Atari 2600 came out, so did the Intellivision, Colecovision, etc. Video games were a new concept, and so lots of people were really wondering about them. But nowadays, gaming is everywhere: cell phones, internet, etc. And, with all these consoles out, even cell phones and the internet, which aren't really consoles, there's just a universal acceptance of video games. They may have improved graphicwise and soundwise, but not gameplaywise.

12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?)

Alone in my dark, cold room with a TV made about 10 years ago.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male

Got an old Atari Pong system in 89, an Atari 2600 recently

I got involved with atari as that little pong system was my first system, even before my NES, but especially since I have gotten my 2600 JR I have been addicted.

It has a simplisity that only older games can have. I grew up with these type of games, so the need for a game to rely on graphics and blood like today isnt so appealing to me.

Mountain Dew all the way...

1-2 hours at a time

How many days a week do you spend on it?

3-4 times a week

OOoo dang hard one,... umm, well in no order, Pitfall, Defender II, Frogs and Flies, Thrust, Yar's Revenge.

Well.. YEA! I collect all the old classic systems including atari, nes, snes, genesis, saturn, virtual boy, and neo geo... I have the current systems like Gamecube and DS , which are great systems *esp DS*, but the new systems are too concentrated on FPS and blood and sex... these are not games to me.

Like I said above. They dont feel like games so much as interactive environments...Plus JUST graphics don't do it for me... besides the Revolution, the next gereration looks very grim

if anyone would play it I would..

I have influenced my freinds and roomates to get a Gamecube, DS, and a couple sega systms (they already had NES) , so I think I can do the same with my Atari 2600 JR slowly but surely.

1) How old are you? 33.

2) What sex are you? Male.

3) When did you get an Atari? 1977 when my mother got me the VCS (2600) for my birthday.

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today). My first Atari was The Super Pong at age 4 in 1976.

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't? Cause it was somthing new to me back in 77 and in my apt in lower east side NY not many kids like me got this very high price system in thouse days, Also I got to do somthing on TV other then just wacthing it.

6) What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600). Coca-Cola!

7) How many hours a day or at a time do you play the Atari? Min: Half an hour. Max: 3 hours.

icon_cool.gif How many days a week do you spend on it? Two to 4 days a week.

9) Your top 3-5 games. WHY these choices? For you Ill give you my Top 10 fave games:

Asteroids 1981. - I love playing the arcade so its the only way to play it at home pre-5200.

Berzerk 1982. - Its my Number 1 FAVE GAME EVER.

Yars' Revenge 1981. - Its like Liqued-Crack, cant put it down.

Centipede 1982. - Hate bugs and this is the only way to use my anger of killing bugs.

Ms. Pac-Man 1982. - It's MS. PAC-MAN! Nuff Sed.

Raiders of the Lost Ark 1982. - I like the movie alot.

Mario Bros. 1983. - Like to play this game with my brother and always LOVE to score higher then him.

Pitfall 1982. - Nice Grafix, Easy To Play And Hours Of Fun... Sorry for me Pimpin This Game.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back 1982. - First Star Wars game and I liove flying the Snowspeeder.

Star Trek 1983. - Even if this game is some way bace on Star Trek III I like the first movie the most.

10) Do you play any other systems besides the 2600? Yes. I have over 170+ systems from Pong to Xbox360.

11) How do you view gaming of today as compared to the 70's/80's? In todays gaming is more on beating the game then just having fun inthe 70s and 80s gaming.

12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?) Almost always I play alone.

13) Finally, do you or have you ever tried to turn someone to the "Atari side"? Nope thats very much upto them.

1) How old are you?

next to 30

2) What sex are you?

Male,,Straight,Ladie´s man without "corvosier"(if you dont know what im talking about,watch Saturday Night Live reprises)," Brazilian Girl,im your joystick" :cool:

Xmas of 83. Polyvox 2600 Dart Vada...thosewerethedays....

During the Eighties,i had my carts my console and stuff,now im doing it for

Nostalgia with my new Atari with Hard disk,and AtariWindows XP... :D

Atari push you to the limmit,"only the strong survive"...(thanx Billy Paul,to this song)

and almost"romantic"graphics,thats reminds me to the past.But its a real"Robot rock",atari scoretable is cruel and saddistic,it waits for your"knock out"

80´s pop/rock,Sometimes Beer(Skol,or Antartica of course),sometimes Coffe,i will try it with Caipirinha(vodka+ice+lemmon chops+sugar)..

sometimes "a night with Stella",sometimes afternoon...

8)How many days a week do you spend on it?

Almost Everyday a week

9) Your top "Best top" games. WHY these choices?

My BEST choices:Cristal Castles,Berzerk Voice Enchaced,Frostbyte,Hero,River Raid

my Trenchfighters Hack,Enduro,Pole Position,Hang on ATV(hack),Aquaventure,Dkong series(JR,Vector and my"fusion"hack),,Seaquest,Dragonfire(Cheese 98 hack),BerZERKIX( my hack)APPACHE(my Hack),Missile Command(normal and"arcade"hack),Warlords,Sir Lancelot,Dark Chambers,Crossbow.

Adventure(Odissey´s hack),Robot TAnk,QBERT(and Cubes also),Rubik´s Cube.

Tunnel Runner,Car wars(other hack,ok),Lukio Bros(h),Wachroboter Jagt Yupi aka Hey Stop!,Dig Dug,Westworld(hack),now you can see that im a"Hack hunter".

From old PC XT, 80´s Arcade and NES to MSX and now New PC and XBOX,PS1 and 2,im not living in the past,im stay tunned for new gadgets...

Technological Differences is obvious,but one thing not changes,good games and

bad games...One fact that i pay attention is: when a game shows"unconventional"and revolutionary in terms of the aspects.We have brand new"classics"in various systems,such"Doom","Mercenaries","Crash","pandemonium","Tomb Raider",NES"The immortal"(it was a great!great! game)

No, i Play alone,i play "other games"with my girlfriend... :love:

No,but,here in Brazil,we have a lot of "old school"game fans,cause they grew up

with the same"Atarimania and Arcademania"and after that home Computers.In

80s some people had Magnavox Odyssey2,some had Intellivision and a crowd had a Atari 2600(original or clones).Thats all..

:jango:

Edited by fabventure2600