IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto on Revolution?

Retro Gamer

I think GTA'll be a strong franchise than Halo in the long run.

I like Halo but it doesn't seems as differentiated from its peers as GTA does from its copycats.

I don't know if a Revolution port is likely though: I think Nintendo WILL be reluctant to accept something perceived as kiddy-hostile as GTA, I think the Revolution might not have the appropriate controller for it, and for all I know the Rev might even be underpowered relative to the other 2... nextgen GTA will likely be an eyecandy monster. (but of course being 'underpowered' relative to its competitin hasn't been the kiss of death for the DS....)

It's really going to depend on how all the lawsuits as a result of the Hot Coffee Mod are resolved. Rockstar is pretty much a one trick pony since none of their other games are really that good. You can best sum up Rockstar's games as all style and no substance.

Personally I never understood why GTA go so popular. The sandbox concept is nice and the radio stations are fun but I've always felt that the gameplay was crud. GTA games are games you'll play for a week or two then put away never to be played again, the GTA games just don't having the staying power of the true classics.

I've always felt that the gameplay was crud. GTA games are games you'll play for a week or two then put away never to be played again, the GTA games just don't having the staying power of the true classics.

I agree...but for some reason casual gamers flock to the titles.

The gaming community's collective amnesia on this issue astounds me. Nintendo has been open to adult-oriented games ever since MK2. Conker anyone? They are obviously open to GTA-type games. So why are there so many "nice" games made for Nintendo systems? Because they sell.

Nintendo is still suffering from the Mortal Kombat I censorship. You know, that really was a marketing screw up on the level of 2600 ET

It's the N64, mainly. It suffered from a lot of "cute" stuff, and now Nintendo is firmly entrenched as a "kiddie company." People remember Nintendo censored Mortal Kombat(And Wolfenstien. You can shoot nazis, but not their dogs? What kind of rule is that?), and just assume they never stopped.

Immortal like Final Fantasy? I'm no FF fan, but if GTA is still king in a few years I'll agree. To me GTA is more like a fad (albeit a fun one) like FPSs were on PCs in the mid 90s

For a dead fad, the FPS sure has done pretty good recently.

You hear about Doom 3, Quake 4, FEAR, and HalfLife 2? Rumor is they're games where you shoot stuff. With GUNS. While looking through the character's eyes!

It's really going to depend on how all the lawsuits as a result of the Hot Coffee Mod are resolved. Rockstar is pretty much a one trick pony since none of their other games are really that good. You can best sum up Rockstar's games as all style and no substance.

Personally I never understood why GTA go so popular. The sandbox concept is nice and the radio stations are fun but I've always felt that the gameplay was crud. GTA games are games you'll play for a week or two then put away never to be played again, the GTA games just don't having the staying power of the true classics.

Sorry, but I really disagree about the gamplay being crud, esp. relative to Nintendo's games (which I like but in a different way)

Most Nintendo game situations have *a* solution, singular. Either you have the right powerup and you can get through it or you have to get the powerup. Or you need to do just the right sequence with the right skill. With GTAs, you can play missions bold or cautious, you can carefully stockpile weapons and place vehicles where they'll be useful, or you can just try your luck with the inventory at hand.

If Rockstar games were all style no subtance, they'd be easier to emulate, but as far as I can tell no one else gets it quite right. The closest I've played is Mercenaries, which ups the military hardware but feels a bit less like a "living breathing world" (though seeing all the warring factions is kind of cool)

Sure, Rockstar does put maybe too much emphasis on the "bad boy" aspect, from violent hoodlum (GTA) to psychopath (Manhunt) to schoolyard bully (Bully). But at their core, these games are rock solid missions on top of an extremely flexible physics model with a diversity of toys (vehicles, weapons, and interesting geography) to horse around with. Combine that with ok storylines, highpower voice talent, top notch licensed music selection in a variety of genres, and a superb balance between realistic and cartoony, and you have a series that is a great, a series of best-sellers and deservedly so.

And that Hot Coffee lawsuit is SUCH A LOAD OF UNMITIGATED BS it makes my teeth hurt. You can't even get to THE goddamn PG13 humping content without hacking the product. I know! I'll sue f-in' Land O' Lakes butter, because if I fold the box JUST SO (or go to even greater lengths like this guy I can CLEARLY SEE BOOBIES!!!!!!! OH THE SCANDAL! I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN EAT BREAKFAST AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by kisrael

I've always felt that the gameplay was crud. GTA games are games you'll play for a week or two then put away never to be played again, the GTA games just don't having the staying power of the true classics.

I agree...but for some reason casual gamers flock to the titles.

Yeah, just like they flock to the retro stuff!

GTA has a deep and wide fanbase.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it sucks.

"No one goes to Coney Island anymore. It's too crowded!"

"I stop playing GTA after two weeks." So what? Eight million people bought GTA3 and they keep coming back for more. I guess that it's possible that one or two people in the world might like this game.

I hate the Tony Hawk games. But I'm not myopic enough to claim that it's not one of the most important video game franchises of our time.

You can shoot nazis, but not their dogs? What kind of rule is that?

One of the Apogee employees (Tom Hall?) gave an interview with a local computer magazine a couple of years after Wolf3D was published. He said they got a lot of angry mail about the fact that you could kill dogs, but they had yet to receive a single complaint about killing Nazis. I kid you not.

Also, I think Nintendo changed the Nazis to aliens or something equally inoffensive.

One of the Apogee employees (Tom Hall?) gave an interview with a local computer magazine a couple of years after Wolf3D was published. He said they got a lot of angry mail about the fact that you could kill dogs, but they had yet to receive a single complaint about killing Nazis. I kid you not.

They ARE an easily identifiable "bad guy" organization. I just always thought it odd that Nintendo didn't object to killing people, just german shepards.

Also, I think Nintendo changed the Nazis to aliens or something equally inoffensive.

*thinks*

Maybe zombies. 'S a bit fuzzy in my head at this point.

I know they stripped the swastikas and Hitler portraits out, but they were still pretty clearly affiliated with Germany circa World War 2.

*downloads manual*

Still has German names, but you're officially conducting an offensive against "the Master State." And Hitler's been replaced by a generic-looking "Staatmeister."

There's no hint in the manual that the original humans are anything other than human.

Edited by JB

They ARE an easily identifiable "bad guy" organization. I just always thought it odd that Nintendo didn't object to killing people, just german shepards.

Well, on the one hand, most people will put the life of a human ahead of that of any animal, and rightly so.

On the other hand, humans have a potential for evil that we don't attribute to animals, and so therefore are "fair game" if they've pledged their loyalty to an evil system. (Most games don't bother with nuances about someone being "just a soldier following orders") Plus, enemy soldiers seem more capable of fighting back than a dog (which is true in the game as well, since they aren't pistol packin' puppies) so killing the dog seems crueler than a human that is theoretically closer to being our equal, combat-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

"It's like in the movies y'know - you can waste the entire Confederate army, nobody cares - 395 000 guys deader'n doornails! But kill one collie, everybody collapses in grief!" -- Dr. Johnny Fever

the 360 does not melt discs! and about rockstar. the only decent game they put out was the warriors all that gta stuff is rehashed, reused, crap

The Warriors sucked, especialy all those dumb little minigames, ooh, twiddle the thumbsticks, press these buttons...feh.

GTA is amazing, the only game that really pulls off missions overlaid on a great sandbox world.