IGNORED

Joe Grand and Arcade Pong

I haven't seen this mentioned here before, so here is some info about Joe Grand's involvement with Arcade Pong for the FB2:

When Arcade Pong was being written for the Flashback 2, it would be a better Pong then the original within Video Olympics and the first time Pong as a stand alone game would be done for the Atari 2600 platform.

I knew that what was going to be seen posted from people was comments like "Hey, nice to see Pong, it plays good, but would've played even better with paddles"...

So the idea was to do one of the first commercial releases of a game that worked with both joystick and paddle control.

For Arcade Pong - we subcontracted out to an engineering firm called Grand Idea Studio's run by a brilliant engineer named Joe Grand... for those not familiar with Joe, he's written several great game console and hardware hacking books.

Joe created what we call the "Paddle Sense Routine" and allows the game to know when the player is using a joystick or paddle.

It was the perfect finishing touch to a great game and yes, playing with paddles versus the joysticks makes the game an even better experience and allows players to enjoy it in its true gameplay form.

Curt

Atari Historian

--------------------------------------

The Atari Museum

http://www.atarimuseum.com

The source is the Atari forums.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

Didn't M-Network have the same kind of paddle/joystick setup for Astrosmash?

984385[/snapback]

OMG!! :lust: I have never played astrosmash with my paddles before I thought it was just a joystick game!!!

/runs to grab astrosmash and his paddles :D

984785[/snapback]

..so has anybody tried to play Astrosmash with paddles yet, or is this just a rumour?

Didn't M-Network have the same kind of paddle/joystick setup for Astrosmash?

984385[/snapback]

OMG!! :lust: I have never played astrosmash with my paddles before I thought it was just a joystick game!!!

/runs to grab astrosmash and his paddles :D

984785[/snapback]

..so has anybody tried to play Astrosmash with paddles yet, or is this just a rumour?

987572[/snapback]

It's no rumour, and it's ASTROBLAST!, people. ;)

(Manual page courtesy of Atari Guide)

post-32-1135290036_thumb.jpg

• Like 1