IGNORED

Best Sport games for the A800?

brooklynlou

BASEBALL ---> Hardball

FOOTBALL ---> Touchdown football

SOCCER ---> Soccer de Thorn Emi Video (simple as Sensible Soccer but very flexible)

BASKETBALL ---> I like the old Basketball for 4 players!!! ... One on One is the best reached

HOCKEY ---> I didnt play this game type

I think Atari 8-bit havent many versions in every sport to choice. You'll find better graphical sport software in C64. But Baseball, Basketball, Soccer simple versions for 4 players in Atari are very funny and unforgetable.

I liked most of the sports games my family had quite well. I played Summer Games, Star League Baseball, Thorn Soccer, One-On-One, and Fight Night all the time.

The only one I didn't like much was Touchdown Football, and I was a big football fan back then. It always seemed a little sluggish to me, and still does.

I liked the graphics in Hardball, but never liked the gameplay that much.

More recently I have found Pro Biker (Alternative Software 1989) to be a fun game. Great music, graphics, and good gameplay too.

When I get a chance I would like to spend some time playing Starbowl Football. It looks like a good football game from looking at it and browsing the manual. Anyone play this much?

I would add to the list World Karate Championship. This is definetly set up as a sports game, and a very good one at that.

Wow, you guys covered all my favorites, Star League Baseball, LeaderBoard Golf, Touchdown Football, Hardball, Thorn Soccer, and Summer Games. All great multiplayer games with good single player that lets you practice before beating up your mates.

The only one missing is Ballblazer. Soccer/Football in Space! Can't beat that :)

I also have recently discovered Showdown Hockey which is a penalty shot only hockey game. Pretty fun, I don't remember playing any hockey games back in the day on my Atari. I think I got hooked only after Blades of Steel on the NES.

Hardball

1-1

Summer Games

Thorn EMI Soccer

RealSports Baseball (with its inbetween inning scenes :) )

Never really found a fun football game on the 8bits :(

There was another Baseball simulation product which had real teams and such - It saw limited release on the 800 but was popular for a few years - Something like Team Manager? I think it was statistical based?

StarLeague Baseball is by far my favourite sports game (and one of my all time favourite XL games). I'm actually in the middle of a best of 7 series with a buddy of mine (up 3-1 :) ).

I tried Gamestar Football but I always found it *really* tough to catch a pass (you have to time a button press exactly as I recall). Never had Touchdown Football in the day so I always played Atari Football (RealSport Football I assume).

ThornEMI soccer was definitely a great sports game too. For hockey I played it's equivalent, although it doesn't translate as well IMO.

I'm off to try Touchdown Football now - thanks! :)

There was another Baseball simulation product which had real teams and such - It saw limited release on the 800 but was popular for a few years - Something like Team Manager?  I think it was statistical based?

985339[/snapback]

Micro League Baseball?

There was another Baseball simulation product which had real teams and such - It saw limited release on the 800 but was popular for a few years - Something like Team Manager?  I think it was statistical based?

985339[/snapback]

Micro League Baseball?

985420[/snapback]

Yes - that was it. Anyone play this?

Leaderboard Golf was a decent golf game for the 8bit line.

Forgot about One on One, thanks for the reminder. I think that's the one we actually played the most. Bird's 3-pointers vs. J's dunks and fade aways, classic.

I need to go back and try the tennis games on the 8bit, never liked them because I was still playing the 2600's Activision Tennis.

985339[/snapback]

Micro League Baseball?

985420[/snapback]

Yes - that was it. Anyone play this?

Leaderboard Golf was a decent golf game for the 8bit line.

985430[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I played this. Every year I'd buy the Sporting News guide with complete stats for the entire league and enter (a) that year's Blue Jays team, (b) that year's World Series champion, and © any other team that interested me.

I'd then have a 64 team single elimination tournament to decide the best team of all time. The Yankees ('27 or '61) would win often, much to my chagrin.

I actually also created a "Blue Jays Greats" team (similar to the PHI and DET ones that come with the game).

I've tried more recent attempts at the same sort of game (like Out of the Park) but none of them have the simplicity of MicroLeague. You have to play complete schedules and can allow for differences in stadiums and eras and the like - I prefer the simple "type in the stats and let 'em play" approach to MicroLeague by far.

So yeah, I play this :)

Hmm,

my sport favorites on the A8 are:

- Summer Games (cart.)

- Track & Field (cart.)

- Decathlon (cart.)

- Winter Challenge / Winter Olympiad 88 (disks)

- Major League Hockey (Thorn EMI cart.)

- Soccer (Thorn EMI cart.)

- Leaderboard Golf (disk)

- Slingshot (Atari UK tape)

- BW Golfer (PD game by Bewesoft)

- Atari Soccer / Realsports Soccer (converted from the 5200)

and about motor sports:

- Pitstop (cart. by Epyx, simple gfx, great gameplay)

- GACCRR (disk by Activision, in the UK on tape by Silverbird)

hmm, some call Chess a sport game, so here are my favorite chess games:

- Colossus Chess 3 and 4 (disk and tape)

- Chessmaster 2000 (disk)

- (Odesta) Chess 7.0 (disk)

- Parker Chess (cart)

- Sargon 1, 2 and 3 (cart and disks)

- Querg Chess (a PD program in ML)

----------------------------------------------------------

Some uncool sport games:

- Olympia (an olympic game progr. in atari Basic, very slow, very simple, bad controls, bad gfx, etc. - just a type-in listing)

- Winter Olympics by Tynesoft (tape and disk, simple gfx, recycling of gfx for many events, etc.)

- Atari Olympics (a somehow funny but unfinished game, one player only, no scores, looks like a pirate copy of an unfinished and never completed game...)

- many soccer games (European super soccer, fantastic soccer, kick off, ... because of their simple or sometimes bad gfx, bad controls, etc.)

- Speed Ace (a motorbike race, cool gfx, bad controls and much too slow)

- Atari Chess (oh well, what a bad/stupid computer opponent)

- Mastertronic chess (also a bad/stupid computer opponent)

- Chess from Compute! Mag. (a type-in-listing, it does not check for illegal moves and has a stupid computer opponent; funny: the gfx look similar to Parker Chess!)

- Death Race (oh well how bad this was...)

- Speed Run (good gfx, but boring)

- ... Taladega (bad gfx, bad controls, simply a bad game!)

- Pitstop 2 (great gfx, but extremely slow and a stupid computer opponent that never reaches/drives the highest speed and thus always loses...)

- Flight Sim. 2 (good gfx, but a very slow program, dozens of keyboard commands and alas the reactions of keyboard commands are very slowww...)

--------------------------------------------------------------

more than enough said... -Andreas Magenheimer.

and about motor sports:

- Pitstop (cart. by Epyx, simple gfx, great gameplay)

- GACCRR (disk by Activision, in the UK on tape by Silverbird)

985581[/snapback]

GACCRR is great.

Pitstop is pretty good for diverse gameplay, but Pole Position definitely beats it for excitement and the feeling of speed.

Edited by MrFish