IGNORED

ok, now what?

Ruffsta

i got command propt to open dasm and i see the following:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>CD c:\Documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\al\bi

n\DOS

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\al\bin\DOS>dasm

redistributable for non-profit only

DASM sourcefile [options]

-f#      output format

-oname  output file

-lname  list file

-Lname  list file, containing all passes

-sname  symbol dump

-v#      verboseness

-t#      Symbol Table sorting preference (#1 = by address.  default #0 = alphab

etic)

-Dname=exp  define label

-Mname=exp  define label as in EQM

-Idir    search directory for include and incbin

-p#      max number of passes

-P#      max number of passes, with less checks

Fatal assembly error: Check command-line format.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\al\bin\DOS>

so how do i open a rom i have? yes this is the first time i'm dealing with DASM...

on my desktop i have a folder called "al" - dasm is unzipped into it and i did the above as you see...

also on my desktop i have stella - in there i have a folder called ROMS, so how do i open one of bin files? then after that how do i recompile it to test it in stella?

so many post - it's confusing.. and nothing answereing my specific questions... there should be a step by step tutorial forum without replies from members.. it would be cleaner and easier.

i got command propt to open dasm and i see the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>CD c:\Documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\al\bi

n\DOS

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\al\bin\DOS>dasm

-f#      output format

-oname  output file

-lname  list file

-sname  symbol dump

-v#      verboseness

etic)

-Dname=exp  define label

so how do i open a rom i have? yes this is the first time i'm dealing with DASM...

on my desktop i have a folder called "al" - dasm is unzipped into it and i did the above as you see...

also on my desktop i have stella - in there i have a folder called ROMS, so how do i open one of bin files? then after that how do i recompile it to test it in stella?

so many post - it's confusing.. and nothing answereing my specific questions... there should be a step by step tutorial forum without replies from members.. it would be cleaner and easier.

986015[/snapback]

well you seem to be using a wrong switch some where on the command line, so try using this : dasm kernel.asm -lkernel.txt -f3 -v5 -okernel.bin.

if all goes well and there are no fatal errors then you will have a bin. now to run the *.bin file you can either 1.right click on the Binary and select "open with" from the menu and associate it with the Stella.exe or you can just drag the bin file and drop it on the stella EXE. there are other ways but these are the Easiest ways to do it.

Hope this is the info you needed, good luck with your studies.

RA

n\DOS

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\al\bin\DOS>dasm kernel.asm -lkernel.txt

-f3 -v5 -32in1.bin

DASM V2.20.10, Macro Assembler ©1988-2004

-f#      output format

-oname   output file

-lname   list file

-Lname   list file, containing all passes

-sname   symbol dump

-v#      verboseness

etic)

-Dname=exp   define label

-Mname=exp   define label as in EQM

i see nothing different... i don't think you got my point, i have a rom and i want to see it's code - how do i do that? all i can do is run that kernel.bin and the game bins.

anyone able to help me through msn? please

Edited by Ruffsta

i don't think you got my point, i have a rom and i want to see it's code - how do i do that? all i can do is run that kernel.bin and the game bins.

986035[/snapback]

The DASM program is used to assemble (compile) an assembly code file into a binary ROM image file. What you want to do is the reverse of that, take a binary ROM image file and disassemble it into an assembly code file. DASM can't do that, but a 6502 disassembler can. And to disassemble Atari 2600 ROM images, the best program to use is Distella.

Go to http://www.atariage.com/2600/programming/index.html and scroll down until you see the link for Distella, and click on it. Oops, sorry, I just tried that and the link isn't working! Go to http://members.cox.net/rcolbert/distella.htm instead, and download version 3.0 for the latest and greatest.

Michael Rideout

n\DOS

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\al\bin\DOS>dasm kernel.asm -lkernel.txt

-f3 -v5 -32in1.bin

DASM V2.20.10, Macro Assembler ©1988-2004

-f#      output format

-oname  output file

-lname  list file

-sname  symbol dump

-v#      verboseness

etic)

-Dname=exp  define label

i see nothing different... i don't think you got my point, i have a rom and i want to see it's code - how do i do that? all i can do is run that kernel.bin and the game bins.

986035[/snapback]

sorry, i thought that is what you wanted, although next time try asking "how do i Disassemble a Binary" :), becuase i thought you were asking "How to Assemble a Binary".

ty, wow! i actuall see code..... but dang! never saw anything like it! this gonna be fun to learn :( eh, i put myself here... so i might as well go on with it :)

986085[/snapback]

The latest version of Stella also has a built-in mini-disassembler as part of the debugger. Certainly nothing as advanced (yet) as Distella, but it is there. One advantage of this built-in disassembler is you can step through the code and see the effects onscreen for each instruction. It doesn't show the whole ROM though, so if you want to only inspect code (vs. actually running/stepping/debugging it), then Distella is the more appropriate application.

ok, i can disassemble 2/4kb roms but not 8kb roms....

all i see is a bunch of mumbo jumbo...

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

STA    WSYNC  ;3

JMP    LF000  ;3

LF461: .byte $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF

.byte $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF

.byte

second.. how to ya put text on the screen?

is there by any chance anywhere that has a step-by-step tutorial on making like an intro screen, and when you push the fire button - it'll change to the game?

noticing that learning to program the atari 2600 is hard, simply because there are not clear enough tutorials and way too many questions... keep in mind that there are people who do want to create games for the atari and have no clue to what's going on. rather have someone that i can talk to on msn (besides it's faster)...

how about puting up some flash tutorials with speach? that would help.. jut a suggesstion.

anyways i'd really like to have someone to talk to on msn... way too much reading and at times confusing and boring and at times it seems like i'm not getting anywhere.

... way too much reading..

Then better stop thinking about writing software for...well....any platform. Now.

(Was going to say you should read Andrew's tutorials, but that would involve...well...reading)

Edited by Tom

noticing that learning to program the atari 2600 is hard, simply because there are not clear enough tutorials and way too many questions... keep in mind that there are people who do want to create games for the atari and have no clue to what's going on. rather have someone that i can talk to on msn (besides it's faster)...

how about puting up some flash tutorials with speach? that would help.. jut a suggesstion.

anyways i'd really like to have someone to talk to on msn... way too much reading and at times confusing and boring and at times it seems like i'm not getting anywhere.

986155[/snapback]

Learning to make games for the Atari 2600 is hard. Too hard. Especially for the average person who doesn't even know that different game systems use different cartridges that will not work in other systems. There is hope for those of us who will never be able to learn how to make Atari 2600 games the hard way. There is batari Basic:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ndpost&p=985831

Most anyone interested in computers has some knowledge of BASIC. The good news is that batari Basic is more like the easy to understand BASICs from the 1980s before BASIC languages started to get bloated with all kind of commands that could keep you reading the manual for decades before you even started to write your first game.

Then better stop thinking about writing software for...well....any platform. Now.

excuse you... i been programming in vb - so i do have some knowledge as to programming.. and as far as the reading i have been reading the sessions... just that they are not answering my specific questions.. atleast i haven't come across the answers as of yet.

Especially for the average person who doesn't even know that different game systems use different cartridges that will not work in other systems.

umm.. yeah i do know that different systems use different cartridges duh!

keep in mind i'm just getting back into playing and collecting cartridges after 19 years... infact i'm do it it for my kids... i enjoyed the atari when i was younger and figured that they might too... and wanna learn to program atari because i program games in vb and they asked me if i could do it for the atari and so here i am wanting to learn. i'm not a fanatic as much as some of you. so i dunno which company released what and so on.

Edited by Ruffsta

Especially for the average person who doesn't even know that different game systems use different cartridges that will not work in other systems.

umm.. yeah i do know that different systems use different cartridges duh!

wow, between the 2 of you i found myself not welcomed with your rudeness!!! you can take yer smart-ass remarks and shove em as far as i am concerned!

986528[/snapback]

If stating the truth is rude, then I guess I'm rude:

confused...

coleco made Donkey Kong (whitecase), playable on the atari 2600 (i have the cart as i'm sure most of you do as well).... so couldn't you just get LadyBug and play it on the atari 2600?

You remind me of a guy that posted at a Blitz Basic web site saying that he wanted to make games so give him da codes. People referenced his thread for years in joke after joke. No one can give you "da codes." You will have to do some reading, even if you use batari Basic.

I have almost no ability to retain useful information. I have to basically start from scratch every time I try to create a new program or do just about anything. Ever see the movie Clean Slate starring Dana Carvey? I'm not that bad, but I'm pretty darn close when it comes to remembering anything useful. If I can create a program using batari Basic, just about anyone can, but you will have to put a little effort into it.

Try to get over your snit and make some games already. So a couple of people were truthful with you. Boo-hoo. If that's the worst you ever get on the Internet, consider yourself lucky. Forget about rude, I get e-mails about my web site that are one notch from being considered death threats. Just get over it and move on.

ok, i can disassemble 2/4kb roms but  not 8kb roms....

all i see is a bunch of mumbo jumbo...

is there by any chance anywhere that has a step-by-step tutorial on making like an intro screen, and when you push the fire button - it'll change to the game?

986155[/snapback]

Your questions are unanswerable.

I will also suggest that you try batari Basic (see my signature for a link). After a while, you will know at least what questions not to ask...

Ruffsta, Random Terrain's comment about people not knowing that say, SNES carts don't comply with 2600 systems wasn't pointed to you. It was really for John Q. Public; which I found funny. You seem to really be keen on programming for the 2600, and I think you'll find a lot of support here for it. Who knows maybe your questions will bring out better resources for newbies.

ok, i can disassemble 2/4kb roms but  not 8kb roms....

Search the forum for "DiStella" and "8K". But disassembling 8k+ is probably too complex for you now.

There is no easy way doing anything on the 2600. Not even printing simple text. You either have to understand the tutorials or grab other peoples source code and hack them.

For putting text on the screen there are various pretty advanced tricks available, 48-pixel being the most common one.

Hi there!

I have almost no ability to retain useful information. I have to basically start from scratch every time I try to create a new program or do just about anything. Ever see the movie Clean Slate starring Dana Carvey? I'm not that bad, but I'm pretty darn close when it comes to remembering anything useful.

Why do you make so much fuss about randomized gameplay then? :ponder:

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I have almost no ability to retain useful information. I have to basically start from scratch every time I try to create a new program or do just about anything. Ever see the movie Clean Slate starring Dana Carvey? I'm not that bad, but I'm pretty darn close when it comes to remembering anything useful.

Why do you make so much fuss about randomized gameplay then? :ponder:

That's a different kind of memory. It's recognition memory. I think I mention something about it on this page:

http://www.randomterrain.com/personal-ulte...ior-memory.html

I might have to update that page so it is more clear though. I probably need to expand on parts. I can't play a 'toilet paper' game or watch a movie more than once without waiting a long time for the recognition memory to fade enough. It's like I have photographic recognition memory.

I have a hard time recalling, bringing up something from my memory on my own, but my recognition memory is usually better than average. For example, I was great at multiple choice tests at school, but give me the same test without the choices and it's almost impossible for me to find the information in my head unless it's something really easy.

Edited by Random Terrain

random, you have and sample codes for batari basic that i can look on yer site?

987131[/snapback]

I took time off from experimenting with batari Basic to give my web site a new look, so not yet, but I did upload a couple of things to AtariAge:

This is a work in progress called RUINS:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77015

Here is a program for playing with Atari 2600 sounds called Tone Toy:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77106

There is code from completed games by other people in the batari Basic forum. Just browse around and you might find a lot of useful examples.

was looking at sample codes right off yer site like the following...

dim var1=playfield+44

dim var2=playfield+45

dim var3=playfield+46

dim var4=playfield+47

the above is similar to vb6...

dim var1 as integer

if joy0up then x = x + 1 - VERY similar to vb6

see, this is the coding i am used to seeing :)

don't get me wrong there are things i don't get yet, especially indenting as was mentioned to me before..

i disassembled Riveraid.bin and looked at that and i have no idea what any of that was... (cause i want to make a game like that), so i guess coding like that is the hardest - batari is just another way of coding i see - starting to get it. SLOWLY

Edited by Ruffsta