IGNORED

Kudos to Curt Vendel and Co....

I used to collect Atari 2600 items; at one point I had several 2600s (6er, 4er woodgrain, Vader, Jr, etc.) and 110 unique games, plus duplicates. About two years ago I moved to Mexico to teach, and I sold off my collection on Ebay. I've been playing 2600 since via emulation, but it just ain't the same.

I'm visiting family for Christmas, and I bought an FB2 to take back to Mexico with me. This thing is great! What a superb job Curt Vendel and others have done in making the 2600 alive again - and for a price of only $30 US!

I think from a hardware point of view I couldn't be happier: the recreated joysticks feel almost exactly like the old ones, and the look and feel of the mini-console bring back memories.

I think the only caveat I have is about the selection of some of the games. I think about half the games are great - and half leave me scratching my head as to why they were chosen for the FB2. I love being able to play 2600 Asteroids, Missile Command, Yar's Revenge, and some of the 'lost' prototypes like Save Mary...

It would have been great to see some more of the none Atari games too: Berzerk, Defender, Demon Attack, etc. though I imagine these couldn't be included for copyright reasons...

But what's the story with some of the homebrews? I think Caverns of Mars is okay, but Yar's Return seems like it's half-finished.

Can I offer a suggestion? How about some kind of contest allowing FB2 owners to vote for what games appear in the next incarnation of Flashback (assuming it is a 2600).

Hi there!

I think the only caveat I have is about the selection of some of the games.  I think about half the games are great - and half leave me scratching my head as to why they were chosen for the FB2.

That is because Atari doesn't have the rights to any other titles. Most of the really good titles (silver/red label) where licensed from other companies like Nintendo, Namco, Sega, Taito, Sun, Williams, Exidy, Broderbund or other companies properties like Peanuts, Disney, Road Runner...

Greetings,

Manuel

Greetings to Bavaria!!!

I would imagine that because they previously had a liscence for those games, that they could re-up that. I'm sure it would add some to the cost of the units, but I don't really see a major problem with that. Of course, that could be avoided by just adding the cart port....those other games would then be available to anyone who has the cart.

I, for one, would have paid an extra $10-$15 for a built in cart port.

That is because Atari doesn't have the rights to any other titles. Most of the really good titles (silver/red label) where licensed from other companies like Nintendo, Namco, Sega, Taito, Sun, Williams, Exidy, Broderbund or other companies properties like Peanuts, Disney, Road Runner...

986936[/snapback]

To what extent are various "underlying" games covered by copyright or patents? I would think patents would be more applicable to underlying gameplay (as distinct from graphics) and any patents on many of the older games would have lapsed by now. Games with recognizable graphics would be covered under copyright, but something like Atari's mega-smash-hit 1980 cartridge don't use any actual graphics from the original, so if they renamed it "Alien March" but stuck it in Battlezone's spot, I'd think they should be okay.

Note that Commodore named their version of the game "Avenger" and even used the same graphics as the original, something Atari's version does not.

I imagine it's a bit more difficult than that.  For example, some of these videogame companies no longer exist, so it's not clear who owns some of these copyrights.

988780[/snapback]

This is an interesting question. Who has the rights to a 30 year old Star wars title made by Parker Brothers for the atari 2600?

Note that Commodore named their version of the game "Avenger" and even used the same graphics as the original, something Atari's version does not.

988785[/snapback]

Don't confuse the fact that in a still fledgling industry many companies were lax on protection with the idea that it sets precendence. The industry is much different now.

I imagine it's a bit more difficult than that.  For example, some of these videogame companies no longer exist, so it's not clear who owns some of these copyrights.

988780[/snapback]

This is an interesting question. Who has the rights to a 30 year old Star wars title made by Parker Brothers for the atari 2600?

988829[/snapback]

Easy, Lucasarts owns the name and likenesses used therein. Parker Bros. (whoever owns the rights to their games and code) would own the code itself.

• 10 months later...
This thing is great! What a superb job Curt Vendel and others have done in making the 2600 alive again - and for a price of only $30 US!

I think from a hardware point of view I couldn't be happier: the recreated joysticks feel almost exactly like the old ones, and the look and feel of the mini-console bring back memories.

I couldn't agree more. I picked up my fourth FB2 unit this past week, and I was struck again at what a great value it continues to be. Curt and Co. did a remarkable job of planning and building an overall solid product and bringing it to market at an incredible price.

What really makes the FB2 special, though, is that it was obviously built by and for people who truly love Atari, its history, and its enduring legacy. In a market where Jakks and their ilk are making millions cranking out weak-tea remakes of classic games, the FB2 went the extra mile and offered the ORIGINAL games played on the ORIGINAL hardware with the ORIGINAL controllers. That takes dedication and passion, and I think Curt and Legacy Engineering brought those qualities to the FB2 in a way that nobody else could. It made what would otherwise have been an average, me-too offering into something that had a soul of its own, and it had a lot to do with the commercial and critical success that the FB2 has enjoyed. I sincerely hope that Legacy Engineering has the opportunity to work its magic again with the FB3; if their previous work is any indication, the FB3 is bound to amaze and surprise us all over again.

What really makes the FB2 special, though, is that it was obviously built by and for people who truly love Atari, its history, and its enduring legacy.

Indeed. I would like to see an FB2.5, though, with some of the games that were absent from the FB2. Licensing would have been an issue for some games I'd have liked (certainly for Pac Man, and probably for Space Invaders, though legally I don't know what basis Taito would have for complaint if Atari included the SI ROM and called it Alien Attack or something) but there are some others I think should have been included for a sense of completeness:

- Air/Sea Battle
- Star Ship
- Basic Math (for completeness)
- Indy 500 (as hidden game)
- Blackjack (as hidden game)
- Street Racer (as hidden game)
- Video Olympics (as hidden game)
- Football (people did play it back in the day)
- Home Run (ditto)
- Basketball
- Bowling

Not exactly wonderful titles, any of the original nine games is IMHO of greater historical interest than Hangman, and the sports games were very much a part of the life of the early system. Atari should have rights to all of its early titles free and clear.

Of course, the unit could also have some more homebrews. I would tend to think that many homebrew authors might be happy to get even a penny a unit if the machine sold tens or hundreds of thousands of units. And throwing in a dozen good homebrews would probably increase the amount people were willing to pay for the machine by over $1--well enough to cover the multi-level markup.

Edited by supercat