IGNORED

5200 Tempest update..

Dutchman2000

Cool! This will be the only true home port of Tempest for any system! (Not counting Tempest 2000's 'classic' mode, which got it wrong, wrong, wrong. Nor am I counting emulation, which is not a port.)

Electric Dreams wrote versions for several 8-bit computers.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

988008[/snapback]

Technically (altho not official) there is an 8bit tempest called Livewire.

[sTART DREAM SEQUENCE]

Once the 5200 version get's done then maybe it could be ported to the A8 with the driving controller :lust: Oh, and then even ported to the 7800...SWEET!!!!

[/END DREAM SEQUENCE]

987455[/snapback]

There was information posted on the 2600 forum that had Tempest being work on for the 7800 according to Atari Release Schedule thread by Curt Vendel. That last post was March 16th on the thread. Dave Getreu was the programmer.

Edited by 8th lutz

Yes, That's it. OK, so here's a question. If I replace the pot in a 5200 controller with one that can spins around without a stop, will it work. What are the values in non-stopping pot verses a stopping pot?

Well... the resulting signal would be something like slamming the stick all teh way to thr edge, resetting it to the other side without the game noticing, and smlamming it across again. IE: messy.

If this would work we could design a new controller for the 5200 just like the 5200 paddle controller.

Any thoughts?

Yeah. That a proper optical spinner would be better. :P

Cool! This will be the only true home port of Tempest for any system! (Not counting Tempest 2000's 'classic' mode, which got it wrong, wrong, wrong. Nor am I counting emulation, which is not a port.)

What about Microsoft Arcade?

I added Trak-Ball support a long time ago.  If someone were to design a proper spinner control for the 5200 and could get a prototype to me I will add support for it.

987922[/snapback]

I'm not making one, but it seems to me that the logical approach would be to interface identically to the existing trackball.

Not only does this save everyone the effort of designing new logic, it also makes it (relatively) easy to retrofit the feature onto an existing trackball for an all-in-one solution.

So it shouldn't need any extra code, IMNSHO.

I thought arcade Tempest used a spinner, not a paddle.  The spinner could rotate indefinitely

in either direction without reaching an endpoint.

987648[/snapback]

Yeah! The flywheel-like motion of the spinner and the way it corresponded to the motion of your "claw thing" (what was it called?) was part of what made the game exciting. That thing had weight, and it would just keep going if you didn't stop it.

I'm proud to announce that the original programmer, Keithen Hayenga has joined the Tempest project!  He will be working on it in his spare time so don't expect it overnight.  The box, manual and label will be designed by George Reese.

It's great to have 2 original Atari programmers interested in completing the unfinished games they started so long ago. First Cloak & Dagger and now Tempest....

987406[/snapback]

Hey, I guess I don't have to keep quiet about Tempest now! Better get on that box and manual, eh? :!:

I thought arcade Tempest used a spinner, not a paddle.  The spinner could rotate indefinitely

in either direction without reaching an endpoint.

987648[/snapback]

Yeah! The flywheel-like motion of the spinner and the way it corresponded to the motion of your "claw thing" (what was it called?) was part of what made the game exciting. That thing had weight, and it would just keep going if you didn't stop it.

990037[/snapback]

I'm a heathen. I play in MAME with a trackball that stops on a dime.

Wondering if the control would be potentiometer-sensitive (like the further the stick is away from the center, the faster the C-shooter moves) or what?

Guess I'll stay tuned to find out.

987623[/snapback]

I'll answer that right now.

The 5200 controller is treated as a velocity stick. That means the faster you move the stick, the faster you will spin around the tubes!

It works even better with the trak-ball. The paddle should work well too, but I have not tested it with one.

Edited by Dutchman2000

To Dutchman:

I wasn't talking about the 5200 controller, I was talking about the control OF the C-shooter -- whether that would be potentiometer-based or not.

991514[/snapback]

Umm, Yes it is. There are different ways of using the 5200 controller, we are using it as a velocity stick. That means the faster you move it, the faster you spin around the tubes. I'm sorry if that wasn't made clear with my last post.

Jeez, it's been 23 years. You'd think it would have been done by now! Can't wait!

987863[/snapback]

Uhhh... The Jag version is pretty darn close.

As for the 5200 controller, I would think that if it were programmed to use the joystick's 360 degree movement, it would be pretty cool. Might wear out the joystick though. :ponder:

Jeez, it's been 23 years. You'd think it would have been done by now! Can't wait!

987863[/snapback]

Uhhh... The Jag version is pretty darn close.

As for the 5200 controller, I would think that if it were programmed to use the joystick's 360 degree movement, it would be pretty cool. Might wear out the joystick though. :ponder:

992663[/snapback]

The 5200 stick doesn't work well for rotation. It's got a square hole, and if the boot isn't firm enough to keep it out of the corners, you get stuck easily.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

No problem... I think it's just awesome that this and Cloak and Dagger are finally being completed after all these years. Makes me wish I were a millionare so I could pay these guys for the awesome gift they are giving to the classic,nay, "Original Gaming" community. Thanks for just giving me/us a keep up the faith update. O.G. For life :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
Work is still going on. Keithen is working on other "real life" projects right now, but he is still giving some time to Tempest. This may take awhile, so please have patience. He is doing it on his own time and schedule.

Ken,

That's good news, really. I'm swamped with family health issues, so no more progress on box/manual. Basic layout is done, I'll throw in as much Tempest history as possible.

Geo

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Keithen has had some issues to deal with. His wife just had major surgery and he had to make 2 deliverables for his current job. He will work on Tempest but he hasn't in a couple weeks. Remember folks, he is doing this for no money. He does want to finish it for us, as he would have years ago. A lot of us have done some work but Keithen is the main programmer at this point. I will update you all with progress and maybe a screen shot or two when Keithen sends me an update. Please be patient, this will happen.