IGNORED

5200 Tempest update..

Dutchman2000

A spinner would not at all be any kind of coding problem.

Quadrature coding is rather straight forward. I use it on

the Jaguar for paddle simulation for Paddle Baddles.

In all fairness, the DSP can read that really , really fast

in the background and get a much more accurate read

of the speed and direction. The 5200 would probably use

a timer interrupt to grab the read a bunch of times per

frame to make sure you get a decent read. Then I have

seen 'every frame' code that seems to work ok as well

on the 2600. Again, a spinner would allow you to actually

spin round and round where a pot would not.

Uhhh... The Jag version is pretty darn close.

Cant agree...good but not close....go play an Arcade tempest then play Jag clasiic Tempest.

they are just != .

Jeff Minter will admit this as he did not have a machine to reference

and no emu back then was doing Tempest that I remember.

Keithen just sent me his latest build. I will try and post some screenshots later tonight. He has done quite a bit, including a total rewrite of the creature spawning and death code. More to follow!

Hello Ken! So glad to see the project is alive and well. Does Atari/Infogrames have an issue with this? I heard there was a 5200 Flashback in the works.

I was just tinkering on the manual for this game today, and can post a pic of the box and label if there are no objections from Curt (it has his Tempest artwork).

• 7 months later...

Just curious about the definition of a "proper spinner" that has been mentioned a time or two in this thread.

I'm not sure how one would answer this question, but...how sensitive is the movement of the player to the movement of the 5200 trackball. I realize that the faster you spin the faster it would move according to the original design of the trackball. One thought I had was to essentially spin the encoder wheel in the trackball via a knob. But, the ball spins the encoder wheel at a ratio of about 6 to 1. Directly driving the encoder in the original circuitry wouldn't equate to a very fast spin of the ball, therefore the player movement would be slow.

If the programmer would support a "proper spinner", what would the output of that spinner look like? It would be relatively easy to build a single axis device that fed the output of the two optical sensors directly out on controller lines. What would the 5200 be capable of doing with those signals? It expects to see a variable voltage on the joystick/trackball inputs. The others are fire buttons and keyboard inputs.

From a programming perspective, what signals would be required to for more or less direct response to the spinner, i.e. a given number of degrees rotation will correspond to the same degree of motion in the game regardless of how fast (within practical limits) the spinner spins.

Am I even remembering correctly how Tempest played? I don't recall there being any sort of assisted acceleration of movement within the game, it was pretty much a direct correlation between spinner rotation and player movement.

UPDATE:

Keithen added the spikes and spinners and is beginning work on the pulsars. I will be getting a test build from him soon and I will try to post screenshots.

Oh damn, I can feel it now! :cool:

so what else does kiethen have to do before the game is done? any chances we might have it before xmas?

UPDATE:

Keithen added the spikes and spinners and is beginning work on the pulsars. I will be getting a test build from him soon and I will try to post screenshots.

Oh damn, I can feel it now! :cool:

so what else does kiethen have to do before the game is done? any chances we might have it before xmas?

Well, adding the remaining enemies, adding enemy shots and getting zooming going will be major milestones. He is doing this in his spare time so he will not be rushing it.

• 2 weeks later...