IGNORED

Tempest cabinet updated with pictures

20eyes

I have a Tempest cabinet (the big "wedge" shaped one) coming soon along with a galaxian machine but the Tempest cab has Lee Trevinos Fighting Golf in it currently and im trying to determine what to do with it. Wether its even worth it to convert back or not.

First thing I need to do it get the monitor working.

How hard cost effective would it be to do? I don't even know what a Tempest boardwould cost.

Any info would be appriciated!

-mike

Edited by 20eyes

And what sort of controls have been installed? I've never played that golf game but I doubt that it uses the spinner/two-button combo. It's probably been caved out for a trak-ball, which would wreck the panel.

Seems like you'd be better off scrounging for (and shelling out more than a few bucks for) a proper Tempest machine.

Although Tempest is considered a classic game, restoring one is a fool's game if it isn't nearly complete (i.e. has a working boardset & monitor, and the cab has decent sideart). So you're much better off working (i.e. MAME) with what you've got and making the best of it.

Based on the pix on klov, LTFG is a single joystick game, so you could use that as a base for a custom one player CP. (I'd stick in a 49-way joystick & a GP-Wiz49.) Going back to the original controls (or equivalent reproductions) is an option, although it will greatly limit the number of games you can play.

LTFG is also a horizontal game, so you could either stick with that or go back to a vertical monitor. (I managed to squeeze a decased 21" Sony PC monitor in mine vertically, although I had to cut a hole in the rear door.) It's up to you whether you want to stick with the arcade monitor (might need a different video card to handle the low 15KHz horizontal refresh), or go with a PC monitor or even put in a TV.

Keep whatever original artwork exists. If the sideart has been painted over you might want to try to strip it off. Worst case you just have to paint it over again.

I got both machines today, ill try to get some pictures tommorrow as they are still at work right now waiting to come home.

Anyway, the tempest artwork is still there under some orange peeled green paint and it still has (what i believe to be) some instruction sheet inside the back of the cabinet.

I'm still not sure what i'm gonna do with it but I am curious what kinda shape the artwork is in. Is there a way to get the paint off without harming the tempest art underneath?

P1010074.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010075.jpg

Basically the artwork is still there under the paint but they sanded the sides down on the whole cabinet.

The paint actually just peels off of it, i'm thinking they used latex paint on it lol.

Its pretty much junk though, but at least I dont have to worrie about ruining it lol. I wonder what goes through peoples minds when the ruin a perfectly good machine...

But I would like to get it working, apparently the monitor is blowing fuses. Thats all I was told. Any ideas what could be causing it?

The monitor also has screen burn from a galaxian.

Edited by 20eyes

Can't help you much with the monitor I'm afraid. The gurus on BYOAC might be able to assist or point you in the right direction. I agree, if you can save the sideart, great. Otherwise make it as presentable as possible.

Unfortunately, many operators can't see beyond the bottom line. If something can be reused and save them money, then that's what they will do no matter what damage they have to do.

I'm betting that the vector monitor failed, so the op stuck in the cheapest game he could find. Heck, he even took the time & expense to retrofit the control panel (I bet it's the original CP with holes drilled in it) and marquee, then paint the sides and put on a sticker which matches the game.

I'd bet even the hard-core restorers on BYOAC would think that MAME-ing it would be an improvement.

The only future for that cabinet would be MAME, and with artwork restoration that would be one hell of a nice one.

Or leave the Lee Trevino art, stick in a Donkey Kong marquee with a Sinistar board on that monitor with Galaxian burn-in. That would be the ultimate Frankencabinet.

For the monitor I would check the isolation transformer for burning and charring (see pic for a shorted out one I pulled out of an arkanoid machine, which was also blowing the monitor fuse)

IM002502.jpg

If that is not the case, then the monitor just probably needs a capkit and a few transistors. (I can't tell the model from the picture)

Edited by bjk7382

That looks like a WG K4600 now that I can see the vertical boards on the chassis better. They are pretty easy to work on. I would either oder a capkit off of ebay or put in an order to bob roberts. Also check for bad transistors, such as the vertical deflection transistors mounted to the heatsink, and the bottlecap (to-3) transistor mounted to the chassis.

Here is the monitor ID page on bob roberts site.

http://homearcade.org/BBBB/monitor.html

BTW: if youve never installed a capkit, here is a little how-to

http://www.alsarcade.com/capkit.htm

Edited by bjk7382

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to just gut the thing and get rid of the cabinet. I started stripping the paint and the artwork is there but sanded down.

So if anyone wants it in northeast wisconsin LMK otherwise its going to the curb in the spring.

the coin door is junk so im tossing that, it looks like someone kicked the crap out of it, its all dented in.

The metal control panel is still ok. The corners of the cab are a little beat.

Edited by 20eyes

I've decided to just gut the thing and get rid of the cabinet.

1002720[/snapback]

You might want to put something on Craigslist, rec.games.video.arcade.collecting, or arcadecontrols.com. I'm sure someone in your area would be more than happy to take it off your hands. I'd hope that you'd be nice enough to include the CP so whomever doesn't have to bend their own.

I always liked the story of the pack-rat who was finally hounded by his wfie to cart off all the junk he had in the basement like empty boxes and pieces of rope. Of course, wouldn't you know that the next weekend he needs to send a package...

You know as soon as you get rid of it you will find a nice complete tempest with a waterlogged cabinet :D

1003418[/snapback]

Fortunately, Tempest was a popular enough machine in it's day that the number of cabinets still in existance outnumber the availability of working guts.

Edited by EricBall