IGNORED

Wizard of Wor

sandmountainslim

Does anyone know if a sequel was ever worked on or planned for Wizard of Wor? If any 2600 game deserved a sequel this is it!

991080[/snapback]

Hello -

To my knowledge, no sequel was ever worked on. I am, however, working on a re-write of Wizard of Wor for the 2600. I'm about 30% done - I plan on making this version more arcade-like (more mazes, the special mazes (pit, arena, warlord), transition DOUBLE SCORE DUNGEON screen) and have "intelligent" flicker to make the game a bit more playable.

I hope to have it done sometime soon. :)

Does anyone know if a sequel was ever worked on or planned for Wizard of Wor? If any 2600 game deserved a sequel this is it!

991080[/snapback]

Hello -

To my knowledge, no sequel was ever worked on. I am, however, working on a re-write of Wizard of Wor for the 2600. I'm about 30% done - I plan on making this version more arcade-like (more mazes, the special mazes (pit, arena, warlord), transition DOUBLE SCORE DUNGEON screen) and have "intelligent" flicker to make the game a bit more playable.

991123[/snapback]

That sounds great, are you going to put it in a 2600 cartridge? Wizard was always on my top ten list of video games to play, as a kid, I was so good at it that I could draw almost all the mazes from memory and I had all the best spots to stand figured out, but that was a long time ago.

:thumbsup: :) :ponder:

991080[/snapback]

Hello -

991123[/snapback]

Make sure the 1P version supports AtariVox!!

991080[/snapback]

Hello -

991123[/snapback]

That sounds great, are you going to put it in a 2600 cartridge? Wizard was always on my top ten list of video games to play, as a kid, I was so good at it that I could draw almost all the mazes from memory and I had all the best spots to stand figured out, but that was a long time ago.

991282[/snapback]

Not sure if I'll put it in cart form, but I'll make the BIN available for anyone who wants to. WoW is also one of my favorites, especially the 800 version. I may contact you about doing some game testing when the time comes... :)

991080[/snapback]

Hello -

991123[/snapback]

Make sure the 1P version supports AtariVox!!

:) I was thinking about that - I'll have to look into adding this support. The voice would be cool (and saving the high scores). Too bad you'll only be able to play 1 player though :(

991343[/snapback]

:)  I was thinking about that - I'll have to look into adding this support.  The voice would be cool (and saving the high scores).  Too bad you'll only be able to play 1 player though :(

991359[/snapback]

Sounds like my plans for a two-joystick-in-one-joyport gizmo might be useful. Actually, I've had ideas for three controller gizmos. Wonder which ones people would like:

-1- Paddle mod to use the potentiometer in voltage mode rather than RC mode (should largely eliminate jitter, even with dirty/worn pots). Could also provide a way for suitably-written software to read the pot as a digital value (would take about two scan lines) rather than having to clutter up the kernel with it. Use with existing cabling would require a small 8-pin micro in each paddle controller; using new cabling would allow one micro to serve two controllers.

-2- Light gun adapter which would report an XY position to the 2600 (the kernel would be required to output a precise pulse per frame).

-3- Two-in-one joystick gizmo (two joysticks in one port). For most software, only the primary joystick would work; suitably-written software, however, could use both.

Anyone think any of those sound interesting?

991080[/snapback]

Hello -

991123[/snapback]

991282[/snapback]

Not sure if I'll put it in cart form, but I'll make the BIN available for anyone who wants to. WoW is also one of my favorites, especially the 800 version. I may contact you about doing some game testing when the time comes... :)

991357[/snapback]

That would be great, I would love to test your new game when it is ready, infact I think I'll my play it tonight on my heavy sixer.

:-o :-o :grin:

:)  I was thinking about that - I'll have to look into adding this support.  The voice would be cool (and saving the high scores).  Too bad you'll only be able to play 1 player though :(

991359[/snapback]

Sounds like my plans for a two-joystick-in-one-joyport gizmo might be useful. Actually, I've had ideas for three controller gizmos. Wonder which ones people would like:

-1- Paddle mod to use the potentiometer in voltage mode rather than RC mode (should largely eliminate jitter, even with dirty/worn pots). Could also provide a way for suitably-written software to read the pot as a digital value (would take about two scan lines) rather than having to clutter up the kernel with it. Use with existing cabling would require a small 8-pin micro in each paddle controller; using new cabling would allow one micro to serve two controllers.

-2- Light gun adapter which would report an XY position to the 2600 (the kernel would be required to output a precise pulse per frame).

-3- Two-in-one joystick gizmo (two joysticks in one port). For most software, only the primary joystick would work; suitably-written software, however, could use both.

Anyone think any of those sound interesting?

991376[/snapback]

I originally wanted a Y cable adapter with a microcontroller in it that was programmable and you could flip dipswitches or page up down and have an LED readout. This thing would have all sorts of functions. For instance, hook up two joysticks and the 2nd joystick would simulate the extra booster grip buttons. Or hook a joystick up with the driving controllers, adding two extra digital signals (joy up-down or joy-left right).

Just look at the available pins on the 2600 and try to create combinations of controllers that would, together, use up all the pins.

Multiplexing for multiple full-function joysticks or with the AtariVox would be nice but I'd want to see how transparent that would work.

It could be a universal DB9 remapper so you could use unmodified Atari controllers on the Vectrex or vice versa.

I think that would be a great value.

-3- Two-in-one joystick gizmo (two joysticks in one port).  For most software, only the primary joystick would work; suitably-written software, however, could use both.

Multiplexing for multiple full-function joysticks or with the AtariVox would be nice but I'd want to see how transparent that would work.

My planned gizmo would use one 4x2 multiplexor chip and two resistors. To use it, one would read the primary joystick, including its fire button at INPT4. The other joystick fire button would be read at INPT2. Then the "drain pot" latch (one of the bits of VSYNC) would be turned on and the secondary joystick read. Once that was done, the "drain pot" latch would be turned off. Note that INPT2 could only be read BEFORE turning on the drain latch. The approach would not be suitable for dual-fire-button 7800 games (the 7800's joystick would behave like a single-button unit) nor booster-grip games, but should be transparent to "normal" games.

This sounds good, not just for the AVox, but for 3 player games as well

It'd also free up the second port for console serial link-up stuff

Would be pretty cool if it could be used on the Vectrex too

This sounds good, not just for the AVox, but for 3 player games as well

It'd also free up the second port for console serial link-up stuff

Would be pretty cool if it could be used on the Vectrex too

991767[/snapback]

(Nice "Silent Running" Avatar BTW).

Don't get sidetracked by the Atarivox thing. A revamped version of Wizard of Wor would be awesome! I play that on the Atari 800 a lot. Love it love it!

What language is it written in?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...

STELLA CHEAT CODE FOR 2600 WIZARD OF WOR (infinite lives)

This cheat code works for me in Stella (version 6.5.3.0):   0F39AEA1

This code seems to work in the original version of WOW and with the individual "Arena" modules attached to the 12 page discussion of WOW 2 in this forum:  https://atariage.com/forums/topic/209266-wizard-of-wor-2-the-arena/#comments

HEX EDIT FOR 2600 WIZARD OF WOR (infinite lives)

I used the cheat code to devise a "hex edit" of the original version of Wizard of Wor (4096 bytes).

Search for the sequence 9CD68C, and modify to 9CEAEA (residing at 390 09 0A 0B)

I am attaching my working copy of my infinite life version of WOW.

Wizard of Wor (inf)).bin

Edited by DFELD2005