IGNORED

SEGA Star Wars arcade - ever seen it in real life?

Flojomojo

I only learned about this '93 Star Wars as an adult from the internet.  I guess I may have seen it, but I definitely don't remember playing.  I believe there are different control configurations with a 2 player version and a single . . .

Besides MAME, there are a series of emulators specific to SEGA hardware called "Supermodel."  I think there are different versions for the different models of SEGA arcade hardware (model 1, model 2, model 3, etc).  I remember reading that this game is emulated by one of those versions, but I've never tried to play it that way.  I HAVE played the 1998 game that so many people are confusing with this one in this old thread via Supermodel 3 and it works very well.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 9:45 AM, Flojomojo said:

It occurs to me that I don't think I've played Empire Strikes Back on real hardware either, unless you count the emulated 1Up version I have at home now. 

Somebody near me has one and brings it to shows in my area, so I've actually played it quite a bit.  The game has a few flaws, but its variety offers a nice break from the levels of the original game.  I seem to remember a few minor glitches that can trigger in the AT-AT sequence, but it is a solid game.  I always find that I am gripping the yoke for my life when trying to avoid those asteroids with the Millennium Falcon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Does ESB have it's own hardware?  I always thought it was a kit for Star Wars.

It was a conversion kit, with new side art and everything. You'd have to "destroy" a perfectly good Star Wars (the better game IMHO), though some people have made multi-board switching mods so the cabinet could run both games. It looks too complex for my limited skills.

I got to play ESB once at a gaming convention.  It was alright, but I didn't get to spend enough time with it to learn the new levels.  It seemed like it was a bit more complex than the original.  I should fire it up in MAME some time.

• Like 1

I got SEGA Star Wars Arcade '93 working in MAME v.216 today.  Overall, my first impression is that it is kind of terrible.  I can't tell how to control the throttle or even if I need to, and the flight control is just . . . bad.  I think I played for about 20 minutes trying both the training mission and Rebel Attack.  Besides the controls and the very primitive 3d flight, the graphics were overly bright and the color palette just seemed off - like some kinda weird variety of CGA graphics.

I think if I ever saw the arcade game in real life, I'd plunk some money down to play it, but I'll stick to games like Tie Fighter and Wing Commander if I want some 90's space flight action.

Personally, I've never even seen a Sega 32x, so I've never played THAT version of this game, but it might actually be a better experience compared to emulating the arcade game.  Here's a side by side with that version:

@wongojack the 32X is easily emulated and that version of Star Wars Arcade is worth checking out. It has more modes and stages, as a home game should. The 32X hardware is fussy and awkward. There's a recent (not from 2006!) thread on here from someone who really wants to use the old hardware, but it's not going well. 

Unfortunately I agree with you about the controls and gameplay. It doesn't feel like space flight (as seen in the films and better SW games), you can't go up and down very far, and the timers aren't fun. 

I think the "Virtua Fighter" style flat polygons are beautiful and spectacular, however. I just wish they were attached to a game that was more fun. I really like the bright, untextured aesthetic.

Sky Rogue gets it done. I'd put a Star Wars skin on that if I could. 

I have a Genesis flashcart that will let me play the 32x games without a 32x.  At least, I think it will . . . maybe I've got that wrong, I don't play the 16bit lines very often.  I'm sure that I can find an emulator for it.

Anyway, I think what is really getting me about the arcade visuals are the color choices.  There's sooo much white on the arcade version and the blues just look really bad to me.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:14 AM, Tempest said:

I got to play ESB once at a gaming convention.  It was alright, but I didn't get to spend enough time with it to learn the new levels.  It seemed like it was a bit more complex than the original.  I should fire it up in MAME some time.

Its starting to grow on me more, but still holds the third slot compared to the others. There is more strategy involved in this one especially on the AT-AT Walker level in the higher rounds (flying through the walkers' leg yield bonus pts. - not easy on higher rounds).

Problem is the first two levels are unique and good; the second two, one is redundant and the asteroid level you just hold up/left w/ occasion move here and there.

Looking back... wish the was a kit game but entirely new vector game with more levels (cough, cloud city) albeit it was '85 - kinda late run for a vector game

On 3/4/2020 at 10:31 PM, wongojack said:

I got SEGA Star Wars Arcade '93 working in MAME v.216 today.  Overall, my first impression is that it is kind of terrible.  I can't tell how to control the throttle or even if I need to, and the flight control is just . . . bad.  I think I played for about 20 minutes trying both the training mission and Rebel Attack.  Besides the controls and the very primitive 3d flight, the graphics were overly bright and the color palette just seemed off - like some kinda weird variety of CGA graphics.

I think if I ever saw the arcade game in real life, I'd plunk some money down to play it, but I'll stick to games like Tie Fighter and Wing Commander if I want some 90's space flight action.

Personally, I've never even seen a Sega 32x, so I've never played THAT version of this game, but it might actually be a better experience compared to emulating the arcade game.  Here's a side by side with that version:

I played this again two weeks ago at Ghost - controls are still frustrating as all hell! Juxtapose this and the pc X-wing/Tie Fighter series, latter blows it away.

Edited by schuwalker
  • Like 1

Definitely, many years ago in a Florida arcade.. maybe Malibu or something, I think it was a big arcade that had racing.  I think I played it at one other place as well, but have no idea where.

I still have my original 32X and this game, but haven't had it hooked up in ages.

On 3/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, wongojack said:

I have a Genesis flashcart that will let me play the 32x games without a 32x.  At least, I think it will . . . maybe I've got that wrong, I don't play the 16bit lines very often.  I'm sure that I can find an emulator for it.

There's no such thing. :)

While you can play 32X games via devices like the Everdrive, it still has to be inserted into a 32X. Only the Sega CD can be played on Genesis hardware without an original Sega CD unit attached, thanks to the Mega SD flashcart replicating Sega CD functionality within the onboard fpga board (And soon, a new version of the Everdrive will offer similar capabilities).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...