IGNORED

5200 vs. 7800

jbanes

So on one hand there's ZylonBane putting on his best tough-guy impression to distract everyone from the fact that he didn't have the balls to take up the challenge (which he soundly "lost"), SuperCat PMing me to convince me that "framebuffer" has been "retronymed" to mean something else despite the mountain of evidence (including some modern evidence produced by none other than ZylonBane), and Danno telling me that he didn't really want an apology and telling me to <really-gruff-voice>"Stay out of my PM box!"</really-gruff-voice>

:rolling: :lol: :rolling: :lol: :rolling: :lol:

You're all a bunch of right loons, you are!

:rolling: :lol: :rolling: :lol: :rolling: :lol:

(wipes tears from eyes)

Ah, man. Thanks guys, I needed that.

Maybe jbanes want to get a room with anyone. He seems desperate for attention.

He's now trolling me in PMs.

I will post them now, since he seems to think it really bothers me. :P

Or perhaps not.

I didn't really want an apology. I was merely showing you that you can put the high horse away and step down from your self imposed pedastal.

You like to argue, you're just not very good at it. We get it. Move on.

Whatever you say, Danno. Whatever you say.

By the way - stay out of my PM box.

BWHAHAAHAA! God, you are as insane as I've been warned about. So here's a special message for you Danno!

I'M IN YOUR PM BOX! BWHAHAHAHA!

:rolling: :lol:

Insane? no.

Going to allow idiots like you and Shadow640 to police me on the board or tell me that my sarcasm warps your fragile little mind and I'm a bad man for it? You're kidding, right?

You don't want me to start on you. I made a JOKINGLY SARCASTIC post about the NES, simply because I don't like it, and you acted as if I stole your girlfriend and shit in your hat.

Then you got owned 6 ways to Sunday by Zylonbane, and you're still at it.

Edited by Danno

Oh good lord...can we drop this please? Maybe jbanes and ZylonBane should get a room.

998488[/snapback]

That's what I'm wanting. I just wanted to hear discussion about the merits and drawbacks of the two systems from not as much of a TECHNCIAL standpoint as much as a GAMER'S standpoint. But I guess we can't always get what we ask for, Helmet. :roll:

Oh good lord...can we drop this please? Maybe jbanes and ZylonBane should get a room.

998488[/snapback]

How about just a padded room for jbanes?

Everyone is telling him he's wrong, nobody is agreeing with him, yet he still maintains he's right -- even when his specific points are disproven in exacting detail (like his assertion that video card text modes actually blit into an internal bitmap buffer). Or his inability to explain why the Apple has a framebuffer but the Atari doesn't. He's shotgunning so much misinformation that it's impossible to keep up.

This makes him either a troll (in the traditional sense, not the net-newbie "anyone who annoys me" sense), or someone with profound mental issues. Or both.

Edited by ZylonBane

That's what I'm wanting.

998494[/snapback]

I agree whole heartedly. This thread is long ruined. I don't know why anyone's still here.

<Ferris-Bueller>You're still here? It's over. Go home. Go!<Ferris-Bueller>

(Makes shooing motion.)

:)

I agree whole heartedly. This thread is long ruined. I don't know why anyone's still here.

998500[/snapback]

And I'm not sure why you keep coming back and piling on even after you said you were done with it.

I think I agree with ZB's idea: a padded room with a new long-sleeved overcoat.

Uhh... wow.

I like the 7800, because I don't have a 5200. My 7800 can act as a 2600, but it's not a 2600... anyone care to debate?

:D

EDIT: does jbanes remind anyone of George Bush? "We do not torture, we merely emulate torture."

Edited by ~llama

Uhh... wow.

I like the 7800, because I don't have a 5200. My 7800 can act as a 2600, but it's not a 2600... anyone care to debate?

:D

998539[/snapback]

But the 2600 is far superior to the 2500 because it has 100 more. You don't know what you're talking about. I am supremely intelligent. Look at me LOOK AT ME!!!!!

But the 2600 is far superior to the 2500 because it has 100 more. You don't know what you're talking about. I am supremely intelligent. Look at me  LOOK AT ME!!!!!

998541[/snapback]

I always thought it was like golf, lowest score wins? :ponder: By which logic the 5200 is better than the 7800. That settles it.

Back to our regularly scheduled question:

So,

From way back I remeber the term page flipping and that I believe it was used alot on 800 games (presume 5200 as well).

Since the 7800 only 4K I also presume that it couldnt use this technique.

Pretty wild the 7800 had less memory than the 5200 having been released after that machine.

So,

What tricks did the 7800 use or did it not have games that needed this kind of programming?

Back to our regularly scheduled question:

Since the 7800 only 4K I also presume that it couldnt use this technique.

Pretty wild the 7800 had less memory than the 5200 having been released after that machine.

Likely it had less because it simply didn't need it to produce sharp looking graphics.

The 5200 has as much memory as the 7800, NES and Sega Master System put together. Wild eh?

So,

What tricks did the 7800 use or did it not have games that needed this kind of programming?

Page flipping is most useful for smoothly updating an entire bitmapped screen. The 7800 is more like 80s arcade hardware in that it does everything with sprites, and if necessary a playfield built from tiles. No need for pageflipping.